PDA

View Full Version : Any Oldsmobile mechanics ???

Tim Clarke
07-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Well, the heater core in Mom's '85 Cutlass Ciera is peeing AF on the pass. side floor. Nice old car, only 88 grand on the clock.

So I stripped off external parts from under the hood, and stuff from under the dash. Still can't even see the core, or where the hose connections are. Looks like I'm in for a misery job.

At this point, I'm thinking I may need to strip off the throttle body and maybe even the intake manifold so I can get the outer half of the HVAC housing off. Whaddaya think?

BTW, this old sled has the Iron Duke 4 cyl. I can't imagine what it'd be like with the v-6.

I'd like to know what kind of character flaw I have. Seems like everything I have done and all the decisions I've made since the 1st grade have came back to haunt me. Mom asked me to pick out a decent used car for her back in the early 90's. So now she's in her 90's. Still living by herself in the house Dad built for her in 1961. Still driving the Olds. Still sharp, hears okay, had her eyes lasered about 5 years ago. Wish my wife was in as good of shape.
Also I planted a couple maple trees in the backyard. 45 years later, need I tell you of the misery these have caused me over the years?

I'd like to give the Olds a 180 grain Nosler @ 3000 fps or so. Maybe a whole magazine full, right between the headlights.

But, in the end, I'll tough it out, and get 'er done.

Thanks for listening to my rant, and thanks for any advice you may offer
Regards to all, TC

torker
07-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Tim... some of these newer cars/trucks are just plain nasty to change out the heater core. Last one I did was in the ol' lady's T-bird. Stood on my head for nearly two days.
Broke some plastic panels... it wasn't pretty. I was so peed off with that thing.. I never did put it all together... just run it as it is..couple of foot boards don't really matter :D
Russ

doctor demo
07-15-2008, 01:33 AM
Tim... some of these newer cars/trucks are just plain nasty to change out the heater core. Last one I did was in the ol' lady's T-bird. Stood on my head for nearly two days.
Broke some plastic panels... it wasn't pretty. I was so peed off with that thing.. I never did put it all together... just run it as it is..couple of foot boards don't really matter :D
Russ
It could be worse . Dodge...I believe, colt around same era as your olds you have to take the inner and outer fender off to change the heater core:eek: .
Steve

J. Randall
07-15-2008, 02:35 AM
Tim, last one I changed was in a 92 Buick Skylark, it was dead center in the middle of the dash, kind of low, and had to come out from the inside. I think the hoses came through lowdown on the drivers side right next to the transmission tunnel. I hope yours is not like that one, it was mean.
Good Luck, James

jacampb2
07-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Here are instructions in .doc format. I won't leave them up on my host for long, so DL and print it out :D

My local library offers patrons an alldata type service...

http://www.rollmeover.com/bronco_fab/odds_n_ends/olds_hc.doc

Later,
Jason

Rookie machinist
07-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Been a long time since I did one of thoose. It all gets removed from the inside of the car. If I rember right there are about 10 8mm screws holding the lower blower case together. I can't get the images from jacampb2's link to load. Just go slow and it will come out fine. If you break any plastic parts jb weld works great. An 8mm socket with a built in swivel is also handy.

Tim Clarke
07-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Thanks to all who offered advice and/or moral support. I think maybe GM hung the heater assy from a skyhook, then assembled the car around it.

TC