PDA

View Full Version : OT 400,000 mile mark

pntrbl
07-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Lotta OT around here lately but I know some of you guys appreciate the fine art of extracting every last drop of transportation out of some poor old vehicle, and I just cleared 400K on my 89 GMC Painter van today.:)

The last of the original power train left just a few weeks ago over what should have been just a rear axle bearing R and R. When I wasn't looking a c-clip fell into the drain pan and, blissfully unaware, we left the next morning for a 125 mile run to Ventura. 40 miles later Houston had a problem ....

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/pntrbl/Van6-26-08-1.jpg

I guess you could say he who repairs his own car has a fool for a mechanic!

That caused enough damage that I had to rob another rear end out of one of the parts vans and there went the last piece of the original power train.

Anybody wanna bet I can't get 500,000 out of it?:rolleyes:

SP

doctor demo
07-16-2008, 02:04 AM
Lotta OT around here lately but I know some of you guys appreciate the fine art of extracting every last drop of transportation out of some poor old vehicle, and I just cleared 400K on my 89 GMC Painter van today.:)

SP
I won't take that bet, I have a (semi retired) '82 chev 1 ton pu that has 325k on it and all it needs is battries and fuel. I trust it to go any where there is cell phone coverage:D .
Nice lookin rig, but looks like it needs a bumper:D .
Hopefuly there were no injuries, that is the most important part.
Steve

abn
07-16-2008, 02:35 AM
Cool...glad you kept it upright and didn't lose control! Well done.

wierdscience
07-16-2008, 09:51 PM
The last of the original power train left just a few weeks ago over what should have been just a rear axle bearing R and R. When I wasn't looking a c-clip fell into the drain pan and, blissfully unaware, we left the next morning for a 125 mile run to Ventura. 40 miles later Houston had a problem ....

That caused enough damage that I had to rob another rear end out of one of the parts vans and there went the last piece of the original power train.

SP

Like I told my buddy,his 74' Chevy 1/2 ton has 500,000 on it,but it doesn't count if the only original part is the VIN number:D

x39
07-16-2008, 10:21 PM
I had that happen in a pick up truck I was driving, but I managed to pull off the road and stop before the axle came all the way out. First clue was that nothing happened when I stepped on the loud pedal. :p I just turned 250k on my '88 Chevy Caprice. Took it on a 200+ mile trip today, no problems. I have no idea how many miles my '73 Chevy 3/4 ton has on it, the speedo puked about eight years ago.

hornluv
07-17-2008, 01:20 AM
I've had a couple of cars die just shy of that elusive 300K mark. I had an '84 Toyota Celica that suddenly fried all of the electronics at around 290K. Then there was my Toyota pickup, also an '84 that chewed up one of its valves and the surrounding engine material at 297K. Right now I have a '95 Mazda Protege with a little less than 250,000 on it, so hopefully it doesn't give up the ghost anytime soon. Afterall, I need to save my money for a mill :D

Fasttrack
07-17-2008, 01:32 AM
Whew... yep those Chevys are good for many miles. My '89 K2500 has already got a staggering 54,000 on it :eek:

:D

Hope no one destroyed a pair of undergarments in the incident...

pntrbl
07-17-2008, 01:59 AM
I had that happen in a pick up truck I was driving, but I managed to pull off the road and stop before the axle came all the way out.

I do believe we would have ended up on all 4 wheels if I hadn't shagged a right to get off the main road. That's when the axle came out.

No real drama tho. Just another day in the life .....

SP

x39
07-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Just another day in the life .....
I hear ya there.

mlucek
07-17-2008, 08:00 PM
My 1988 Chevy S-10 4x4 pickup had about 189K on it when little repairs started adding up. When one year'$ repair$ became almost what the truck was worth, it was time to sell it and buy something new. Got a new 2005 Toyota 4Runner that I've been very happy with now for the last 3 years with virtually no problem at 40K+ miles later. I'm not babying it either :p

Put the S-10 on the market after getting a new muffler/tailpipe so it could pass smog test (California). Asking price was a reasonable Blue Book value. Got pretty close to what I was asking after turning down rather unreasonable bids as I was in no hurry to sell it. Sold it to a highschool surfer kid for his surfboards and I think more for the nice stereo I had in it than anything else. :D

Mike

John Garner
07-17-2008, 08:34 PM
wierdscience --

Bet your buddy's '74 Chevy still has its factory-installed shadow, too.

John

Alistair Hosie
07-18-2008, 02:10 PM
you can get a million miles as far as I am concerned so long as you run it genuinely roadworthy and not put the public at risk to save money.I guess it boils down to this when the old bus gets older it costs or ac tually is usually not cost effective to keep it roadworthy still you seem to know what your doing Alistair