PDA

View Full Version : Guttin it out.. makin a livin..

torker
07-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Gawd I hate this stuff but the money is good.
Making up base plates for a gazillion fence posts and welding them on...yawn.
Here's the impromptu welding jig... outdoors of course... it's galvanized pipe.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00007-5.jpg
the plate positioning jig..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00002-45.jpg
Slide it ahead to weld it..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00003-26.jpg
Done quite a few piles like this lately... weld em up and the Penkse rental truck picks them up..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00004-22.jpg

torker
07-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Welded up! This is the absolute worse Chinese crap yet. The wall thickness goes from about .125 to paper thin. VERY hard to get a decent weld.
This is with .045 Dual shield fluxcore... 23.5 volts/265ipm..
The end is rugged... on all of them.. the galvanized laced puddle doesn't like to finish off nice..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00005-10.jpg

dp
07-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I think I'd buy a cheap shop vac and force in clean air to the mask from a good ways off. Unless that face mask is a perfect fit you're going to draw in dirty air with every breath.

torker
07-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Dennis.. that's a North pro weldors mask.. cutom fitted. It don't leak...as long as you shave..

wierdscience
07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Looks good anyway Russ,Chinese crap pipe?Ya we had some too,some of it doesn't even have sound seams,the galv fills them in and that's good enough for them,but hey it's fence tubing.

I made one of these for $50,constant fresh cool air supply.I added a duck canvas skirt on the back and front of my welding sheild and used velcro for the closure.Nothing like positive pressure.

http://www.sand-blasters.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=349

torker
07-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Darin..I was wondering about this sh*t today.. I wonder what's "REALLY" in that galvanized coating?? You never know with those guys. Stuff is unreal! full of voids, the coating is "random" thickness...from almost nothing to over 1/16" thick.
Awful crap...

wierdscience
07-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Darin..I was wondering about this sh*t today.. I wonder what's "REALLY" in that galvanized coating?? You never know with those guys. Stuff is unreal! full of voids, the coating is "random" thickness...from almost nothing to over 1/16" thick.
Awful crap...

I'm thinking of buying myself a geiger counter.

Fasttrack
07-17-2008, 01:36 AM
How can you call yourself a welder? Absolute crap.

:D Nice job as always. I avoid that stuff whenever possible. Its like those galvanized nails that have lumps of zinc sticking on them in some places and then nothing on others. Had some chain link fence going up around the auto shop and it was the same way with the tubing. I guess they haven't heard of QC.

torker
07-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Fasttrack...LOL! Yup....this stuff is right on par with galvanized nails.
Reminds me... I bought a little over 1000 pounds of steel last week..every stick of it has CHINA proudly written all over it.... now this crap

oldtiffie
07-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Russ,

a question.

As it is a plain uncoated steel base-plate, and I guess its going to be painted or "cold-galvanised" after fabrication, why not grind the galvanising off the weld area prior to welding and paint over it afterwards?

Dawai
07-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Good thing I ain't your neighbor..
I could see a rotator w/speed control there and a foot control on the mig, or automatic.. load part & remove part, it becomes monkey labor..

Of course, it is not too far above that now ain't it?

I turned down a full time bench welding job recently doing assemblies. I do need a change of craft, but... I worked on a assembly line once before..

wierdscience
07-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Like I tell people all the time,the welding isn't the had part.It's the setup,tacking up and moving the part around that's the PITA.

torker
07-17-2008, 08:19 AM
David.. I've got a lot of bits and pieces collected for a rotator but am still looking for a chuck and some rountuit time.
Production line welding... I hate it. I wouldn't do this stuff if it wasn't my own business. Funny how that changes when you have to pay for everything with your own sweat equity.
This is pretty fast tho...it may look hokey but I can average one post every three minutes including cleanup. Could do them faster if the china steel was more consistant and could crank up the heat and wire speed.
That's one thing i like about these higher gas prices. I never used to get work like this. It was always cheaper for the customer to bring it in from the coast or Alberta. Not so anymore. Shipping costs alone are forcing people to look at local businesses again.

Dawai
07-17-2008, 10:07 AM
CHUCK?? you mean a FWD hub off a car? some block 90's mounted on the wheel studs with cross bolts to tighten up on the tube?

What kinda Canuck hillbilly are you? It ain't right till it's got baling wire on it and making you money.

torker
07-17-2008, 10:17 AM
LOL! Ya.. I could do stuff like that but it's not purdy...
And then there's the vari speed motor...me and electric stuff= a lot of readin first..

Dawai
07-17-2008, 05:38 PM
me and electric stuff

See there, it's a good thing I don't live down the road. It'd just serve to make you rich. And with wealth comes lots more problems.

quasi
07-17-2008, 06:12 PM
be glad your not a non-union Electrician-Welder in Alberta. The last job I was on I asked for a respirator when I was told to weld up brackets using black iron angle iron and galvanized Unistrut.

I was told I didn't need one as I was welding outside!? I even talked to the Shell employed "safety" man and he said I didn't need one either.I than asked him if he would let a Shell employee weld galvanized outside without one and he said no way!

Anyways, I refused to do it, and suffered the consequences. Standing up for your longterm health can be hard on the paycheck. (sudden lack of O.T. hours).

torker
07-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Quasi...you did the right thing. Screw them guys. I used to do exactly as I was told...I got the scars and screwed up hearing/sight to prove it.

John Stevenson
07-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Chuck ?
Pop over and I'll let you have one.
8" 4 jaw, brand spanky new, in wooden boxes with screws and chuck key.

Big stack on the floor here, ideal for welding, rotators, sticking on a bench as a 4 jaw vise, playing bowls, rolling at next door cat, etc.

ANYTHING but fitting to a lathe. [ made in India and wobble in 7 axis and planes :D ]

CCWKen
07-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Nice job on the crap. I sure couldn't do that all day. My mind would wonder off and I'd start building swing sets or something. So far, I've still been getting "premium" pipe down here. It comes up from Mexico. :rolleyes:

Swarf&Sparks
07-18-2008, 04:21 PM
rotator chuck, magnetic :D

magnet from auto AC clutch, turn drive with a wiper motor
course, it don't work on 316 :(

I'll let the rest of the electronic/electrical gurus tell you how to build a PWM pedal speed control

madman
07-18-2008, 04:32 PM
New (slightly Rusted 20 inch 4 Jaw chuck, man its HEAVY. Im 240 pounds and had a **** of a time gettin it into my truck. Now i cant get it out LOL .Pay for my 460 ford s fuel and i will deliver it.