PDA

View Full Version : My shop buddy almost died..

torker
07-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Here's my guy.. Scardie Boy... he is half wild.. about 22 pounds. Spent the first year of his life in the wild.. they never could catch him here. He's adopted me as "ok"... follows me around the yard pretending I can understand him.
He got caught by a coyote again..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00003-27.jpg
Got it bad last year also.. was gone for two weeks. He drug himself for a long time...was wasted away to almost nothing.
This time it was closer to home.
He drug himself in about 1pm today.. what a mess.
$300 later..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00001-62.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00001-63.jpg
He was covered with blood. Has some really deep puncture wounds and massive bruising.
Musta been a sneaky coyote. This guy is one tough SOB.
He's ripped the face off more than a few big "cat killin" dogs around here.
I sure wouldn't want to ever put this crazy SOB in my mouth. Bet that yodel pup never wants to dine on cat again..
Russ

wierdscience
07-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Better outcome than the neighbor's wiener dog.They let it out around 10:00 PM,but the dog didn't come back.Next morning they found a few pieces of him laying in the yard.Lots of coyotes in the woods here.I used to shoot them regular,but don't have the time now so I guess they are re-grouping.

New .22 swift in my future me thinks.

Edited brainfart:

torker
07-16-2008, 10:43 PM
I live at the base of a mountain.. I'm going to be lookin up the hill a little closer now. I've got a 243 varmint gun that's itchin to kill something. Give the nice puppy a Nosler for lunch...

Dawai
07-16-2008, 10:48 PM
I think cats are pretty tough for their size. They don't stand a chance against a bulldog or hunting dog thou.

THEM feral cats, the claws are not normal kitty sized.. THE one living in my shop? I went inside, it was running across the rafters over my head, it's claws tearing splinters off the boards.. Geeze.. I'd not grab it with a bare hand for sure.

My dog, he gets along with our cat pretty well. They still won't sleep together. The last two bulldogs have been a lot more tolerant than the previous 18 years worth.. they'd rip em up like a rotten rag, then they were done. Make a big soft hearted guys eyes get moist to see your loved pet be so heartless. I watched Lex rip a baby bird to shreds about two weeks back..

Carrol came in Last Friday and there was a beautiful red fox laying dead in the driveway, I called everyone from animal control to the game wardens.. nobody answered any of them phones til Monday MOrning.. an believe me it was not a pretty smell then.. Years ago, I'd skinned it out and let it go.. I just ain't as full of energy like I used to be. I was concerned for rabies.. it is dog days ain't it?

Rabies? watch the cat..

wierdscience
07-16-2008, 10:51 PM
I live at the base of a mountain.. I'm going to be lookin up the hill a little closer now. I've got a 243 varmint gun that's itchin to kill something. Give the nice puppy a Nosler for lunch...

Yup,got to look far for these too,closest I ever shot one was 75 yards.

Dawai
07-16-2008, 10:58 PM
I had a slick 454 silverado truck... I had loaned my neighbor the 10/22 ruger with scope to shoot varmits.

He rolled his wheelchair up next to the truck laid the rifle on the hood and shot a dog in the neighbors garbage cans.. Missed, shot again..

I came in.. there in the ridge in the hood center was a bullet-dent.. next to it, another.. I went off thinking I had had a drive by here.. When I asked the neighbor who he saw shooting around my truck he looked funny.

I had so much fun teasing him... he could too hit a barn door.. (if it was laying on him). THE scope was about a inch and half over the barrel center.. the scope was looking at the dog, the barrel was looking at the ridge..

JRouche
07-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Yup, that .243 will pluck them Wiley Coyotes off. I have a 22-250 set up in a bull barrel and dialed in to a point.. Easy pickins.. Oh, but Weird, them .220 swifts are a cooker!!! Those things have some muzzle velocity, bout 4000 fps... I also have a .300 Wheatherby thats also dialed in at 300 yards. Makes a puff of furr but not much more.

That cat you have is a survivor, more of them around here are dog meat if they get caught. One of the reasons is the dogs (coyotes) travel in packs and its like the gauntlet, no way out. They just flip it from one to another till its plenty tenderized and ready to eat.. JR

torker
07-16-2008, 11:09 PM
David.. LOL! Funny story!
My ol' hunting partner... he taught (sorta) his dumm blonde wife to shoot.
Got her all the hunting licences etc.
Mostly so he could kill more game himself.. she wanted to try it.
We where driving down the road to our favourite elk hunting ground. Holy!!! There was a cow elk standing off the road... she had a cow tag.
Blondie steps out of the truck...lays the 270 over the hood...makes a world record flinch and pulls the trigger.
He's hollerin... "I think you got it"
I says..."Umm..Stan... she got your truck"
She hit both windshield wiper stems dead center and blew them both off the truck.. the bullet richocheted off the stems and went into the hood.
Was funny... he went to work.. bitchin about some "town hunter" shooting his truck :D
Russ

Chipslinger
07-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Russ,Clean out your mailbox.

Rustybolt
07-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Keep him on the house from now on. He won't survive another attack.

A.K. Boomer
07-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Torker you still using a polaroid and a scanner? WTF is stuffed into that cats bites some kinda drainage tubes?

torker
07-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Russ,Clean out your mailbox.
Done!
Rusty... ya, that's going to be tough. He was wild until last summer. He hates being cooped up in the house.
He's an amazing animal to watch... a ferocious killer who almost became a part of his own food chain.
Our place is like a big funnel. There's a nice little creek that surfaces on our place...all the critters come down the hill to water here.
He is the "Guardian of the Mountain". He kills everything that sets foot on the place...well...he hasn't got a mule deer yet but I'm waiting :D
You gotta see this guy to believe it... a big cat..he can run up a pine tree...jump over to several more and catch a squirrel...not always but he's got a few that way.
He's brought home a bunch of critters...great big gophers...packrats,a whole bunch of some kind of white rat lookin things, weasels, even a Muskrat out of the creek.
He's not like our other cats. he doesn't torture his victims. He kills with great efficiency then gobbles down his favourites. Some don't taste too good I guess....we get them as lawn orniments. :D
220 Swift!!! I love them things.
My favourite i ever owned...a 26" heavy barrel on a Ruger #1 with a 24power scope. Had two diameters of freebore and used to load it hot.
You ever hit a blackbear inbetween the eyes with one at 80 yards?
You've all seen the exploding watermelon?

Gringo Loco
07-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Had a barn cat very similar in rural east texas ... yellow tiger and big. Very wild and he was King amongst the local tomcats. Coyotes got him pretty good, but he escaped and lived for about 5 years beyond with some wicked scarring. But eventually, a little too old, a little too slow ... coyotes got him. Still, a pretty long life as far as cats go, especially in the wild. Hope your shop buddy keeps on going and its tough to choose whether you cramp his freedom, or just let him live free and go out scrapping. Luck to you.

oil mac
07-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Torker - glad to see your old shop buddy has survived the horrible mauling, cats are more tough than homo-sapiens! we could not survive in their world, He is almost the double of my poor departed shop pal "orange thing", About ten years ago he wandered into my back yard over here in Scotland, He was a most wild feral animal He would spit & hiss, with his ears back, my own cat Lachlan tolerated him, after about a year he would come close for food, Lachlan & him became buddies, eventually he would allow both myself & my daughter to clap him, after another year i could pick him up, but he would never come in the house (of which i am glad as one would be amazed how those claws could rip lumps of wood, Furniture no problem!)
When i had a spell of illness, he seemed to sense it and became protective of me, If i was talking to anyone, he would get between us, never taking his eyes of them, waiting for a wrong or quick move to take action,
I constructed a batchelor pad for him out in the yard, With the neighbours, (more sensible ones) he was a celebrity, and was want to amaze them going along the street, a little distance, a walk with me, it is a quiet side street, two years ago he fell victim to cancer, and the vetenarian could not help his condition, so she helped him on his way, I really miss him in the workshop, he was a really nice soul, Torker you look after Shop Buddy

torker
07-18-2008, 12:36 AM
My big guy isn't doing too good. He's off to the vet again in the morning. Looks like lots of infection is setting in. I can just imagine how nasty a coyotes mouth is as far as bacteria goes. Then dig them fangs in that far...could be bad for Scardie Cat...
But...they are tough little buggers. He sure is likin being in front of the air conditioner.

oil mac
07-18-2008, 06:20 AM
Torker Keep us posted as to his progress.

torker
07-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Ya.. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the encouragement you guys! I know he's "just" a damm cat but this guy really grew on me.
AK.. sorry.. I missed that. No...not a poloroid... this camera...more like a hemeroid :D Was "the best" one they had at a department store photo lab.
Sheesh! You'd think i'da known better... "Buy a camera from a camera store dummass".
Those are some pretty big drainage tubes he's got sticking out.
The vet spread his wounds apart and showed me the holes inside him... they are huge. If it was a human, the holes would be the size of a big ice cream cone. One of his shoulders is really bad. He's all bloodshot like you can't believe.
I've just had him up and moving around a bit. Does them good to move... keeps the blood flowing.

A.K. Boomer
07-18-2008, 08:21 AM
LOL, its not all you - sorry I insulted your camera, just found out I had a thick layer of dust on the comp screen:o

Hope the cat makes it, They are tough as nails but thats a hell of a battle,
Pound for pound the average house cat is about as tough as they come, Can you imagine 200 lbs of that? We got mountain lions around here, I guess some guy who use to live in the springs went to Cali - he was riding his Mt. bike and one yanked him right off it and killed him, (they got em there too) he was a cool guy too, I think he set up some kind of program to get kids their first bikes:( To me thats one of the best gifts someone could do for a young-in...

Dawai
07-18-2008, 11:23 AM
A human only has about what? 60% of his actual strength? A animal or a trained martial artist has near 100%..

A healthy pitt bulldog can jump 10 feet sideways or six feet straight up. They can snap a cow leg bone in two with one chomp. My 100lb dog, he is fat, but he can jump over the queen sized bed and never touch it.

A housecat? I have seen them jump over three feet up to catch a flying bird. if they were the size of a mountain lion we would all be armed to go outside. A mountain lion? I once found a full sized deer dragged into a hayloft where the cat was eating it. They cache their food in trees at times. Can you drag a 200lb animal up into a tree with one hand and climb?

torker
07-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Hey guys! The tough little bugger!!! Yesterday morning he was in really bad shape... dragging himself around. I made him keep moving from time to time..
Seems like a critter will heal faster if you let them move a bit.
Well...this morning... a whole nuther ballgame! He's sitting right in front of me at the computer desk.. being a royal pain...trying to drag my glasses off, trying to pull my hat off...givin me smelly kisses...givin me hugs.
He's feeling waaay better! Wants outside in the worse way but he's got to stay in for a bit yet.
Thanks again for all your concern!
Russ

lakeside53
07-19-2008, 11:31 AM
:) :) :) :)

My cat is 21.... had her snce a tiny kitten..almost lost her a few times, but like yours, she's a survivor!

The problem is that she lost her volume control since she became deaf (antibiotics, but they saved her life). If she want's to be fed, she yells so loud that even the airplugs I've used with for the past year won't let me sleep.

Every morinng she wakes me up, staggers into the bathroom with me and wants a good ruff'in. What would we do without them...

A.K. Boomer
07-19-2008, 12:19 PM
:) :)

Every morinng she wakes me up, staggers into the bathroom with me and wants a good ruff'in. .

Ummm, do we want to know what that means? If not (or "in question") you need not reply:confused: :o

A.K. Boomer
07-19-2008, 12:28 PM
A healthy pitt bulldog can jump 10 feet sideways or six feet straight up.

A housecat? I have seen them jump over three feet up to catch a flying bird.

I think house cats can jump over 6 ft. straight up, at least my brothers can,

As far as Pitts - Iv seen Maggie get as high as the privacy fence top which is 6' like you say, Its the strangest tactic iv ever seen though as its actually level with her back - she keeps pouncing on all fours and uses the "spring pressure" in her muscles or something, it takes several bounces and its like she's on a trampoline but she's not, Its very strange to watch such a short dog get that high and do it with back level -- its much higher than typical as all her mass is way way up there, she's gotta have bones made of tool steel.

Peter N
07-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Every morinng she wakes me up, staggers into the bathroom with me and wants a good ruff'in. What would we do without them...

Ours is the same. Soon as it is light, currently around 4.30am, she jumps into bed and starts nibbling, nuzzling, and purring until I get up and feed her or let her out.
Had her about 2 years now, since 5 months old, and she is my wifes and kids first pet. My wife was always scared of animals and wouldn't have one at all, then boom! one day she wants a cat.

I just wish we had taken out pet insurance...January this year she came on heat, wandered out and got hit by Car. Broken pelvis, leg, multiple abrasions and lots of fur missing. She spent 10 weeks in a cage (forced inactivity to avoid strain on the pelvis) and we spent 1500 on vets bills.

Peter

dewat
07-19-2008, 08:47 PM
I was a servant to a declawed grey tabby for about 14 years. She too would wake me around 4:30 - 5:00 to be fed, by sitting a few inches from my face and purring, if that didn't work she would put her nose against my face and of course the whiskers could be felt. A few months before she died (natural causes, in her sleep) she became impatient, obviously food was even more important as she was getting weaker, so one morning when I didn't get up she sprayed my legs, a week later I hadn't learned my lesson so she sprayed my back, couldn't blame her, like a small child she was communicating the only way she could.

I live in the middle of a town of 40,000 in the Arizona desert, I've seen coyotes walk within 10ft of the house, but she wanted out so I let her, the only battle damage was from tom cats. Even without claws she was a good mouser, I had to watch her though she would bring them in alive, one time it was a small bunny.

Ken_Shea
07-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Good news the hear Russ, I like it when bad stories have good endings.

He is well worth the $300 bucks.
I won't embaress myself by confessing what I spent on vet bills from a cat that got hit in front of our house, wasn't even my cat, is now though :D

rustyswarf
07-20-2008, 02:12 PM
You guys just convinced me. I get invited out to a 6,500 acre farm to deer hunt. We even hunt does in the summer because the game wardens did a deer count and figured there were far too many deer out there and issued us "Deer Deprivation Tags". The deer are eating all of my host's crops. Last year the coyotes showed up in force-we knew they had made it this far south and east, but didn't expect them to show up in such numbers. They have been playing havoc with the deer and turkey populations. From now on, if I see a coyote, I'm giving up the possibility of getting a deer to put a .308 Nosler in the coyote.

gellfex
07-21-2008, 04:40 PM
I long ago came to the conclusion that the reason we don't breed large housecats the way we've bred dogs of all sizes is that they'd surely eat us without a tear if we forgot to fill their bowl.

Dogs depend on us, cats use us. That is, except for our fat & dumb like wood orange tabby. He was ditched by his mother as a 6 week old for evolution to take care of, and we made the mistake of interfering. He'd be a very unsuccessful feral.

torker
07-21-2008, 04:51 PM
This guy is still not doing well. I thought he was ok a couple days ago but he must have alot more poison in him that we thought. He's constantly sleeping (very unusual for him) and now he refuses to go outside ( a good thing but very unusual also).
Been trying to keep his fever cooled down. He likes the air conditioner and cold cloths wiped on him.
He'll pull through but now I see why the vet said he was very lucky to be alive.
He's REALLY my buddy now...lil' suckhole! Been spoilin him rotten!

38_Cal
07-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Torker, I think everyone on here's pulling for your little guy. Probably even the cat haters!

Our monster adopted us about fifteen years ago as a pretty bedraggled one year old. Terrorized our youngest son for years, but tolerates him now, when he's home from college. Since I've been out of work, he's pretty much become "my" cat...or am I his person? At any rate, he's a white cat with red on his ears and tail, where they corroded...therefore his name, Rusty. He's an indoor cat, since we live right by the highway, and don't need any sail-cats...they become that when they've been flattened by a Peterbuilt...I undertstand that they're the predecessor to a Frisbee!

David
Montezuma, IA

plastikosmd
07-21-2008, 06:46 PM
hope he makes it torker, tough little animal

fencepost
07-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey Torker, how is your shop buddy?? Been following this for a while and hadn't seen any update. Inquiring minds and appreciators of cats are concerned.

torker
07-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks! He's just about all healed up now. Had a bad bout with infection for awhile.
It's strange...he got attacked last year also. Not quite as bad as this but bad enough.
Once he was healed up from that he was wanting outside almost right away.
Not this time...he's absolutely terrified of the outdoors now. He doesn't even like to walk past an open door.
It's weird...he was THE toughest cat around..always fighting with something.
Now he's a big sissy.
Guess he must have been really traumatized this time.

RetiredFAE
07-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Sure am glad to hear your shop buddy is on the mend. Their vitality is amazing. We nearly lost our little girl due to liver shut down after she ate a centipede. We get so attached to these little furballs whether they are feline or canine, it hurts to see them suffering and not be able to tell them that we are doing everything we can to ease it.

Tell your buddy that we are thinking about him, and that the Lady Moo says howdy and that she thinks he's a right handsome feller!
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm277/SWBird123/DSCN12670947.jpg