PDA

View Full Version : Compooter Trouble

madman
07-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Well i been messin with my compooter. I dont like it much. I been trying to reload norton anti virus and it just wont go in, Loads for s few hours never enters whatever, Just keeps on going. running, Now i dont want to reformat my computer all my stuff is in it theres tons of it, i just want to keep my norton ,pay for another renewal but it doesnt work. Any ideas computer pros? Thanx

rebel54
07-17-2008, 12:13 AM
I had Norton 360 on my computer. It slowed the computer down and cause nonthing but problems. I had to take it off my machine, would never go back to norton again.

JRouche
07-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Norton's is crap.. You can get free anti virus from many vendors. I use AVG free, good one, and free updates. Without updates its not protecting. JR

http://www.grisoft.com/

SGW
07-17-2008, 07:23 AM
I am extremely dubious of these sweeping generalizations, "Norton is crap," etc. I used it for years and found it to be pretty good. BUT it's been growing, getting more complicated, and eventually I gave up on it. Symantec made the process too difficult and the program too complex for what I wanted.

Like JRouche, I'd recommend AVG Free. Disable Norton first, or AVG won't work properly. For help in totally uninstalling Norton, see http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_fully_remove_norton_from_pc.html

ahidley
07-17-2008, 07:50 AM
lso used it for years and had problems with it like all software. The solution for me was to :

1-uninstall it
2-reboot
3-regedit and search for ALL instances of "norton" , "NAV' , and "symantic" and delete them all
4-reinstall NAV

That repaired it for a year or so. Then last year sometime It would not update. What happened was this: When you uninstall a program the uninstall program may find a .dll file that is used in several programs and ask you if you want to delete it. If you say yes and then the other programs need it your screwed. I searched and searched and finally found the missing .dll file. downloaded it from the internet and copied it to whatever directory it should be in and all was good ever since.. Unfortinuatly I dont remember the name........... FWIW

Michael Edwards
07-17-2008, 07:57 AM
IMO Norton BITES +1

It's like having a trash bag wrapped around your air filter on your car, chokes it to death.

ME

smiller6912
07-17-2008, 08:45 AM
I was a faithful Norton user for years until I tried something else. Norton is a hog and will slow my computers way down compared to almost anything else.
I have settled on ZoneAlarm for my work and home machines mostly because I find it easy to use and I like the firewall.

Evan
07-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Norton is a PIG of a program. It's probably because it is a US product and subject to US product liability law. It checks everything you do at all times, loading, saving, renaming, copying, even just looking at stuff. All an antivirus program needs to do is guard the gate properly. If it does that right then there is no need to constantly check inside the compound.

Take Norton off and the machine could speed up as much as 30%.

goose
07-17-2008, 09:47 AM
There's two things I've learned about anti-virus software.
1: Don't ever load one company's software on top of another, always purge first.

2: Norton is crap.

Symantec has been taken to court several times regarding Norton AV crashing systems.

Alot of internet providers provide free anti virus for their users. eg; Comcast gives McAfee for free.

Gary

Richard-TX
07-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Norton is extreme bloatware that should be eradicated from the face of the planet.

Richard-TX
07-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Take Norton off and the machine could speed up as much as 30%.

I have seen 5x increases in speed after removing Norton. 2x increases are common.

Evan
07-17-2008, 11:04 AM
While we are discussing crap software you should read this little essay about Microsoft. :eek:

http://www.edn.com/blog/1700000170/post/1180029918.html

In case you miss the link see this:

It's a comparison of the internal logic of two server programs.

This one is the open source server Apache. It runs a large percentage of the internet servers.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics4/logicapache.jpg

This is Microsoft's IIS. It also (tries) to run a large portion of the servers online. (NOT MINE!)
Talk about ghetto wiring. The relevance here is that programs with similar tasks can have very different internal construction and that has a big impact on operation.
http://vts.bc.ca/pics4/logiciis.jpg

tattoomike68
07-17-2008, 12:41 PM
All 5 of my sites run a unix or linux, no way would I want to deal with windows servers.

NickH
07-18-2008, 05:22 AM
No one has mentioned that Norton is so poor that Norton themselved have to produce a removal tool to pick all the bits out of the corners of your OS, their software is incapable of cleanly uninstalling itself :eek:

AVG I like, if you choose the manual install option you can choose not to scan web links and not to run a full scan every day, the only two features I've heard anyone moan about :D
Nick

Davek0974
07-18-2008, 05:48 AM
Norton is definately crap.

The removal tool is a must, download and run it. Then install something sensible.

Norton comes pre-installed on all pc's over here (well most anyways) its the first thing i get rid of when setting up a new terminal at work.

Windows servers are ok, NT4 was great-probably the best.

We dont go any higher than XP on desktops or 2000 for servers. I would love to trash the lot and fit Apples.

airsmith282
07-18-2008, 11:28 AM
norton is junk always has been always will be ..

AVG is excellent
Webroot spy spweeper for anti spyware totaly rocks

I own a Dell XPS gammer laptop and it came with the horror macafee junk even worse the norton,,

atleast my system reinstall is a real windows xp pro ,, i hate recovery cds with a passion

before i got into machining etc ,, i sold and repaired PC's and apples for a living sence about 1990 ,,did programming sence the first home computers were out on the market

the junk software thats been out and still for some reason still around is crazy..

the biggst slavery thing in computers i find is you go out and buy this new pc and its already spywared to death out fo the box. has all kinds of crap in it you will never use and then if you got recovery cds your pretty much stuck wiht it all the time, ten oyu go and put on a generic windows OS and to your surprise nothing is online so now you gota install seperate dirvers but waite you cant unless you reload the factory crap and then download and burn the drivers or have a second computer in the house to download and burn the drivers and almost 90% of the time the computer wont run stable after this. so in some cases you got recovery cds for as long as that pc is alive for..

i grew up on Apple computers and to this day i still love them and i still own one in the house,,,

i went PC for the games and i like to surf at fast speeds..

kendall
07-18-2008, 12:50 PM
I never buy off the shelf systems, had the same case for years. just upgrade what I need or want at the time. Only once has the upgrade constituted a near complete system, and that's when AMD went with DDR2 memory.

Have dealt with purchased dydtems for too often, and dislike them with a passion. The way I do it, I get much better components for about the same cost. My son-in-law buys complete systems, and always has some kind of trouble with them. software or hardware. (power supplies are useless on most of them) he normally runs them for a few months then comes over and picks through my old 'junk' and we build him up a better system that he runs till next income tax refund when the cycle starts again. I finally bought him a retail copy of XP and the first thing I have him do is download the correct drivers for his system then reformat and install the 'bare' xp.

Ken.

edit: on my system I don't run an anti-virus on the 'working' install, it's on a secondary drive that's turned off in bios. Once in a while I'll boot into that drive and scan all drives. I run no-scrip and do not open email attatchments, or click on links in them untill I've verified them with a search, a grand total of -zero- infections in 18 years.

A while a go my step-son and wife had trouble with their computers, and whatever it was messed up all the anti-vir I'd installed. Mounted their drives in a fire-wire external enclosure connected to my computer then booted into my 'safe' drive and scanned with AVG, and that cleared it up so I could rescue his software. Still did a complete re-partition/format/install just for safety but it seems to have been completely cleaned up.
love those external housings for that! thinking of picking up an esata enclosure or two, makes a great way for using the old drives I change out as external storage.

madman
07-18-2008, 03:51 PM
I deleted all my Norton but i cant get the avg to load says internet not connected but it is connectedHM have i opened the can of computer worms so to speak>? Mike

tattoomike68
07-18-2008, 03:58 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x320/phoelexx/1216406330857.gif

Evan
07-18-2008, 10:17 PM
http://vts.bc.ca/pics/gates.jpg