PDA

View Full Version : OT digital camera problem

J Tiers
07-17-2008, 11:30 PM
I have a Canon A-70, which has been a VERY good camera.

Just recently, however, it has gone crazy. Facts are as follows:

1) The display correctly shows the picture that will be taken, in correct color and resolution, with no rasterizing.

2) when the picture is taken, the result is light colored, and is also intensely "rasterized", with lines across it. Not just on the dispay, but also when exported to the PC, even without the camera (via CF reader). The lightness may be from the light bars which are across it. I initially thought it was failing to detect blue, but it does. it is just washed out from the overlaid bars.

3) pictures ALREADY in memory are perfectly correctly shown when brought up on the camera display. All colors are correct, and there is no rasterizing.

This seems completely nutty.

The camera is obviously capable of detecting colors over the whole picture, obviously capable of displaying a good picture, and obviously can transfer a correct picture FROM the "Compact flash" memory.

it does all the above correctly, EXCEPT when actually taking the picture.

If there were a memory transfer problem, OLD pictures should not display correctly.

If the detector system was messed up, the display should show bad color and so forth when the picture is being composed. The same detector is used.....

What's going on here?

sch
07-17-2008, 11:46 PM
If no info here you might try the Canon forum at
www.dpreview.com

Evan
07-18-2008, 05:54 AM
It may be a hardware failure. It also may be corruption of the firmware. I would download and install the 2007 firmware update and see what happens.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=320&modelid=8776

J Tiers
07-18-2008, 08:15 AM
It never occurred to me that there might (or could) be a firmware update...... thank you.

of course, the USB is bi-directional, and could be (obviously is) programmed to accept inputs.

it did occur to me that the rasterizing is not unlike what might be used to convert the picture in full res to the in-camera display, which has a much lower resolution. That could easily account for it.

Evan
07-18-2008, 09:03 AM
I don't know about the A70 but on my Canon to install the firmware you simply put the file on the CF card and turn on the camera. It sees the update and installs it.

tattoomike68
07-18-2008, 01:46 PM
I have a A70, when it goes screwy I just take the CF card out and format it and charge the batteries and off it goes all good again. Mine has taken almost 10,000 pictures, thats the deal I made with my woman is after 10,000 pics I get a new and better camera.

gnm109
07-18-2008, 02:41 PM
When a digital camera exhibits strange behavior, such as the Canon mentioned by the original poster, it's time to toss it. I paid over $600 for a Nikon 990 a few years ago. It is a 3.1 mp camera and it took excellent pictures, especially closeups.

Recently, the flash quit working. After some checkng with the Nikon site and some local repair stations, I discovered that the minimum charge to even look at it is $200, plus parts. Well, that's that for the Nikon. They've got their last dollar from me.

Nowadays, there are many, many good digital cameras in the under $200 price range that have more features than the Nikon and will probably last just as long. Companies like Canon, Olympus, Kodak, Sony and others all have numerous good cameras.

Given that the purchase price for a 7+ mp camera now is less than the repair price for almost any camera, I'm just going to toss them from now on.

ptjw7uk
07-18-2008, 03:18 PM
I am afraid its a sign of the times in that the repair charges are always going to be higher than the cost of the usually much reduced older model.
Som e years ago I was looking at semi retiring and doing the odd electonics repair to earn some income and looking at repairing Sony camcorders but looking up the price for a main controller board from Sony and found it to be higher than I could buy a new camcorder for so no margin to make any money. Same thing has happened with PC monitors a new one could be obtained for the same cost of a new EHT transformer so no money in mending any electronics anymore definately a throw away society now.

Peter

tattoomike68
07-18-2008, 03:52 PM
I have a Canon A-70, which has been a VERY good camera.

Just recently, however, it has gone crazy. Facts are as follows:

1) The display correctly shows the picture that will be taken, in correct color and resolution, with no rasterizing.

2) when the picture is taken, the result is light colored, and is also intensely "rasterized", with lines across it. Not just on the dispay, but also when exported to the PC, even without the camera (via CF reader). The lightness may be from the light bars which are across it. I initially thought it was failing to detect blue, but it does. it is just washed out from the overlaid bars.

3) pictures ALREADY in memory are perfectly correctly shown when brought up on the camera display. All colors are correct, and there is no rasterizing.

This seems completely nutty.

The camera is obviously capable of detecting colors over the whole picture, obviously capable of displaying a good picture, and obviously can transfer a correct picture FROM the "Compact flash" memory.

it does all the above correctly, EXCEPT when actually taking the picture.

If there were a memory transfer problem, OLD pictures should not display correctly.

If the detector system was messed up, the display should show bad color and so forth when the picture is being composed. The same detector is used.....

What's going on here?

you might also make sure its set to auto, mine takes crappy shots when I use the wrong mode.

J Tiers
07-18-2008, 07:15 PM
1) A different CF card is the same deal

2) NOT the mode...... Plus, there never WOULD be a mode like this.....

3) Cheaper to replace? As usual, but OTOH, I LIKE this camera, it has , unlike any other I have seen, a movable flip-out display, so I can point it straight up, and look horizontally at the display, etc, etc, etc.... Plus, it give exceptional focus, is pretty true on color, etc, etc. I didn't pick it because it was the cheapest.....

4) Since all systems in the camera can be "separately" proven to work correctly, it is apparently some integration issue, very possibly S/W.

I will try the SW upgrade, assuming it will accept it. Not that I care about the upgrade, but it may replace the offending code.

The camera does NOT lock up, nor misbehave, it just gives a properly formatted picture with an improper image. No truncation, no funky behavior aside from the image.

And the image looks as bad on the in-camera display as it does when downloaded.

J Tiers
07-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Interestingly, there may be a real, known problem with this.

I mistyped, incidentally, the model is A80, not A-70. I wasn't looking at it when I wrote the original posting, but the problem evidently applies to both.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&fcategoryid=227&modelid=9739&keycode=2112&id=48266

If they are still doing it, Canon says they will repair the unit regardless of warranty status, and cover shipping and handling to boot.

I call that decent, assuming they determine that this is suffering from that problem. I have emailed them