PDA

View Full Version : New to this, need help...

csmeance
07-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi,
I'm very new to milling and had a small project I needed to do and need help figuring it all out. Also to the moderators, sorry in advance if this is the wrong section.

I need to mill some lasercut keys into "key" cut from, and I was recommeneded to look at mini-mills for this project. Here are pictures of what I need to do:
BEFORE
http://www.flbusa.com/Before.JPG
AFTER
http://flbusa.com/After.JPG

Basically I need to cut (not sure if thats the right word) 4 slots into the keys and reduce the thickness of them about .5 milimeter.

Any help's appreciated, like I said i'm new to this. I have researched a little bit on the mills and found them from 599 to 10,000 dollars. I need to do this simple task and don't need something overkill.

Thanks
AJ

rotate
07-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the board.

I don't recommend that you attempt to cut the key yourself for the reason that you blank which looks very expensive can easily be ruined. Even more expensive will be the lock on your car which can be damaged if the key that you machine is not a good fit. Replacing that on some vehicles can cost thousands of dollars.

Even if you are willing to take these risks, you won't be able to match the profile of the key without using a CNC and some method of importing the profile into CAD.

BTW, which car is that for?

Alistair Hosie
07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
it seems logical to me that the milling would be done prior to assembly of the plastic cover and sensitive material surrounding the key.Alistair

smiller6912
07-18-2008, 01:51 PM
If it were mine, I would farm that job out.
Definitely not a project for a newbie (unless you have a contract to do several thousand of them, then it might be worth the learning curve).

ptjw7uk
07-18-2008, 02:47 PM
I thought the key part comes apart from the plastic remote fob.
Make a jig and use slitting saws of the right thickness to cut the slots cheaper than breaking end mills.
Peter

SGW
07-18-2008, 02:58 PM
As others have suggested...that is a deceptive job. It is a lot more difficult than one might expect at first glance.

I think one way to do it would be with slitting saws of the correct thickness to cut the slot widths, with a spacer to get the proper slot separation, and a fixture to hold the blank in the proper orientation relative to the slitting saws.

And, certainly, take the blank out of the plastic piece before you do it.

And be prepared to ruin about a dozen blanks getting the setup correct.

csmeance
07-18-2008, 06:00 PM
As others have suggested...that is a deceptive job. It is a lot more difficult than one might expect at first glance.

I think one way to do it would be with slitting saws of the correct thickness to cut the slot widths, with a spacer to get the proper slot separation, and a fixture to hold the blank in the proper orientation relative to the slitting saws.

And, certainly, take the blank out of the plastic piece before you do it.

And be prepared to ruin about a dozen blanks getting the setup correct.

The key blank seperates from the rest of the remote, and those blanks are 35 dollars alone. I think I might farm it out, I got local quotes here of about 15 dollars a key blank...

also the keys orignally are for 2007+ acuras, but the reason they need to be milled is to fit the older ones.

loose nut
07-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Many of these keys (Mercedes for example) are laser cut as a theft prevention device, the keys are cut so accurately that a key can only be made at the factory or it won't work, so depending on the model this might be a none starter.