PDA

View Full Version : A little horizontal action...

sidegrinder
07-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Sorry, not that kind of horizontal action!

I wanted to make up some large t-nuts for my new ebay faceplate, so I decided to try it on the Rockwell horizontal mill.

I made a mini-arbor over the winter. The added convenience of not having to remove the vertical head to add the arbor support made it a worthwhile project. Just slide the vertical head forward a few inches and install the horizontal stuff. Iirc it will take up to a 4" slab cutter in this configuration.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/sidegrinder/0000012001.jpg

This was the first time I've ever ganged cutters together, and it worked a treat! I started out taking .05" cuts with a pretty fast hand feed. After I got a little courage up, I found she would take .125" with a slow powerfeed and a drizzle of cutting oil.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/sidegrinder/0000012002.jpg

Finished up the roughing with a skim of the top.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/sidegrinder/0000012003.jpg

They're pretty good size, so I think I will tap for both my 1/2" and 3/8" clamping sets. Here they are with my $.99 14" faceplate (***tool gloat***)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/sidegrinder/0000012004.jpg

I'm going to adapt this faceplate to my rotary table and should have plenty of room for clamping from here on out...

Any thoughts on adapting this faceplate to the horizontal spindle? It's NMTB-30 and I'm sure it would drive it fine at reasonable speeds. I wonder if 30# hanging off it would be asking for trouble though. It would be handy for large diameter plates or other stuff that wouldn't fit on the lathe.

torker
07-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Sidegrinder.. now that's the way to make T nuts! I have all the stuff for that but never had a decent arbor for my Ohio. My new Van Norman came with three nice 50 taper arbors.
I like your idea of the short arbor.
Do you have a slab cutter you've tried yet? Damm I like those. Amazing long needles come off with them!
Russ

rockrat
07-19-2008, 08:32 AM
As for the T nuts, you just cant seem to have enough. It looks to me that sidegrinder has a nice setup for making these in a good quantity.

Indeed, I do like a short arbor for my Van Norman. Heavier cuts, less space between me and the work, easier to keep track of whats going on. And, less spacer stackup. I hate looking for "one more spacer" to get a setup finished.

Every once in a while I run across hardened washers. I grab them up as I can. They work well with T nuts. You can run a nut down on them again and again without galling. Last time I found them was at Lows marked down. I ended up with a good handful for the cost of regular washers. The manager told me that reason for the markdown was because nobody ever bought them. They were normally 3-4x the price of a normal washer (no wonder why they didnt sell) and just gathered dust.

recoilless
07-19-2008, 11:17 AM
I see that you have the same combo H/V Rockwell that I do. I have yet to make any cuts with the horizontal unit as I have a TM also, but nice set up.
Can you shed a few details on the arbor you made? It's 30 taper, correct?

sidegrinder
07-20-2008, 12:19 PM
TORKER--I like the slab cutters also. I don't have any that are really huge, but they are still good at removing alot of material in a hurry. I found that the higher the helix, the smoother they work, with less banging. I've also noticed that the cleanup is a lot easier after a horizontal job than after a vertical one, as the chips are more or less piled up to one side of the table rather than scattered in all 360 degrees about the cutter.

ROCKRAT--Funny you mention the deal on washers. I picked up a stack for cheap yesterday at our local Habitat Restore for cheap. They are 1" hardened and come in handy when I need that "one more" spacer for the arbor.

RECOILESS--The short arbor is near the middle of this pic. It is basically a copy of the standard arbor with 4" of the middle section omitted.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/sidegrinder/00000011005.jpg

gzig5
07-20-2008, 04:05 PM
You came within a gnat's rear end of paying more or not getting that plate. I was ready to pull the trigger but the half tank of gas to get up and back from Sheboygan brought me back to my senses. I think your being modest on your tool gloat. Didn't he have a 12" four jaw with L1 that you got for the same money? I was going to go for that too. Glad you got em cheap.
Greg

sidegrinder
07-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Aw shucks Greg! Here I was all ready to keep my big mouth shut about it. Yep, $1.98 total for both, cash and carry. Way over 100# of cast iron. I told the guy who handled the sale that he'd been better off scrapping them, but I was sure glad they held up their end of the bargain. Real good people to deal with. It's been awhile since I've had an honest-to-goodness deal, so I guess I was due. I'm adapting the faceplate to my rotary table and I'll probably modify the backplate so I can mount the chuck to my mill table or something goofy like that. For the price, I just couldn't say no. What size is the spindle on your Rockwell again? If you ever need anything around these parts picked up, it's no problem. We're due for a trip to Milwaukee pretty soon anyway and could drop it off. Hint, hint, wink. Well, enjoy the gratutious pic...:)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/sidegrinder/000000123.jpg

gzig5
07-21-2008, 11:02 AM
The Rockwell 11 and 14 inch lathes both have the L00 nose. I'm doing pretty good for chucks and plates but those two were so cheap I couldn't help but be tempted. I'll keep you in mind if I find anything up your way that you don't outbid me on.:D Glad to do the same for you.

recoilless
07-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Sidegrinder:

Thanks for the picture. Two questions if you don't mind.

1. What mat'l did you choose for the arbor?

2. Is the arbor support an OEM Rockwell part?

Thanks, Paul

Edit: As for your questions about adapting the faceplate to Rockwell Horizontal spindle... isn't the overarm going to get in the way?
Perhaps I'm missing something, but short of removing overarm and turning it into a quasi second operation lathe...corrrect me if I'm wrong.

sidegrinder
07-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Paul, when I dreamt up the arbor idea, I wasn't sure how well it would work. So, I didn't go to the trouble of ordering any exotic material for it. I believe its probably plain old 1018. I've used it quite a bit and there is no noticable wear. That reminds me, I need to finish it up by cutting a keyway one of these days.

Another though...I wonder if I could just case-harden the arbor at this point without risk of warpage??

Oh yeah, the arbor support is a stock Rockwell item.
Have fun, Rob.