PDA

View Full Version : Help with digital micrometer

David S Newman
07-20-2008, 03:04 PM
I have a digital micrometer which wont hold zero, it zeros OK when I press the button but when I open the anvils and close them again it will show a reading this reading can be anything. The instructions tell me that if erratic readings occur remove the battery and short the terminals out in the micrometer, I have done this several times to no avail. Also after fitting a new battery it discharges in a week or so with the instrument unused in its box. Any advice other than chuck it away ? David

tattoomike68
07-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Sell it on ebay. :p

TGTool
07-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Sell it on ebay. :p

... and don't forget some flaking before you take pictures of it.

Lew Hartswick
07-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Yep! You can't beat "mechanical" things. Electronics isn't here to stay. :-)
...lew...

tattoomike68
07-20-2008, 05:54 PM
... and don't forget some flaking before you take pictures of it.

No 8 coats of krylon, spindle, barrel, faces and everything, make it look dip painted.

Mcgyver
07-20-2008, 05:54 PM
if chuck it an option i'm guessing its not a Starrettm, Etalon or Mitutoyo, if it is call them, if it isnt' chuck it.

oldtiffie
07-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Use it as a "G" clamp.

airsmith282
07-21-2008, 12:39 AM
you can send it to me i like free stuff if your going to picth it and i love to tinker with electronics :D :D :D

Richard-TX
07-21-2008, 01:30 AM
If you need a digital micrometer, get one of these.

http://www.fvfowler.com/images/cs52-222-201.jpg

David S Newman
07-21-2008, 04:05 AM
[QUOTE=Richard-TX]If you need a digital micrometer, get one of these.

http://www.fvfowler.com/images/cs52-222-201.jpg[/QUOTE

Thats the one I have but with an "Axminster" logo on it bought in the UK.

John Stevenson
07-21-2008, 04:17 AM
J&L do a 0 -30mm one made in Switzerland by Tesa badged up as Brown and Sharpe, they sell for anout 90 UKP here but are often on offer at about 45 UKP.
I bought one as a lot of my small motor work is 30mm or under.
Good micrometer very accurate and well pleased with it.

Only problem was I dropped it one day and lost most of the display.
A quick phone call to J&L about repair and it appears that it's a fixed price repair - yes you have guessed it 90 UKP and not the offer price.

So just binned it and put it down to experiance, I'm loath the shell out another 45 notes when the same thing can happen so it back to roughing out with the cheap digital veriers and finish up with the old trusty manual micrometers.

David, just looked on Axminsters site and the two they show are not like the Fowler in Richards post.
In fact the more expensive one looks like the Tesa one from J&L but only in 0 - 25mm.

http://www.axminster.co.uk//images/products/DIGIMIC_xl.jpg

DickDastardly40
07-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Please take this 'advice' and other considerations in the intended spirit of assistance,

Have you cleaned the anvils of any small gunk before setting zero, also close and hold to the light when shut to show any inclusion that may interfere.
Digi mikes often read to 0.001mm or 0.00001", doesn't take much to muck that about, perhaps even warming in hands or warm shop.
After zero have you measured a known size, that you checked with a screw mike to compare.
Are you aiming for tenths of a thou or is it out by much more than a thou?

Hope you resolve it

Al

airsmith282
07-21-2008, 10:28 AM
i have 2 0-1 micrometers not digitial type as well as 3 sets of digital veriers , i much prefer the digital veriers over anything at this point i do alot of metric stuff and alot od the tme over 1 inch but even for the small stuff i seem to have no problem turnning anyhting to where i need to be at ,,if i was to start having a need for the 0-1 i think id go digitial now as the manule ones frustrat me to no end...

CCWKen
07-21-2008, 07:42 PM
I got this dandy off eBay a couple of weeks ago from our own JC Hannum. A good cleaning with A/C flush and new batteries gave it new life. I've been using it to check all my standards and gauges. Dang nice piece of equipment. Found out my Atlas/Craftsman tailstock was out by .000025". :p :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/Tools/Machine/Starrett731XFL.jpg

malbenbut
07-22-2008, 02:50 AM
Found out my Atlas/Craftsman tailstock was out by .000025".]

How can you expect to do accurate work when your tailstock is that far out.
MBB

PeteM
07-22-2008, 03:02 AM
Erratic readings are often due to a low battery.

It also sounds like your mic is eating up batteries. So, a few thoughts:

1) Get a new quality brand battery.

2) Clean the contacts and the battery case. A pencil eraser might do.

3) If your mic is the type you have to shut off, be sure to shut it off. If it's the type that shut's itself off, consider locking the anvil between uses. If all else fails, take the battery out between use?

Good luck.

macona
07-22-2008, 03:21 AM
What kind of batteries are you using. You should be using SR44, not LR44, the LRs will go flat in no time.

http://www.davehylands.com/Machinist/Caliper-Batteries/

David S Newman
07-22-2008, 03:09 PM
you can send it to me i like free stuff if your going to picth it and i love to tinker with electronics :D :D :D

Hello, if you would pay the postage from here (UK) your welcome to it, if not in the bin it goes, visually it looks near new, it is complete with box, good luck to you if you can repair it. The bl--dy thing is now stuck on zero. It came to me with some clockmaking tools I bought last year. David