PDA

View Full Version : Stripper in the shop...sorta OT

38_Cal
07-20-2008, 04:28 PM
I've been working at putting my shop together, getting up walls, painting, etc. A couple of weeks ago I was ready to get the doors and trim painted, so went to WallyWorld and picked up a gallon of their house brand latex. I've used this stuff before, just not in the dark green I had them mix it to. I rolled on a couple of coats, the second coat going over paint that still felt tacky, and cleaned up for the day. Ten days later, the paint is still tacky to the touch...dry on the surface, but with a definite tack to it. Not a happy camper! :( Ok, I take the remains of the paint back to WM, a different one, closer to home than the one I bought the paint from, and chat with the paint guy and then the Asst. Manager. She authorizes the paint guy to mix me up a new gallon of the same stuff, and throws in a gallon of paint stripper, gratis.

Here's where the fun "really" begins! The stripper does do it's job, but it's incredibly messy to work with, especially with the fumes and wearing nitrile gloves in 80 degree heat. This morning, I was looking over the project and the lightbulb in my head goes on...I'm messing with defective latex. Latex is water soluble. Will it wash off, since it isn't fully cured? Well, it didn't wash off, but it did loosen to where a wooden scraper could peel it, sorta-kinda. Another flashbulb fires in the cranium...I have a bottle of Windex in the garage. What would it do, with the ammonia and other junk in it, that might be better than water? Well, to make a long story a little bit longer, the Windex and wooden scraper is pulling the partially dried paint off of the metal doors quite easily, as long as I keep the surface wet (not more than about one square foot at a time) without the mess, fuss, or chemicals that the "official" paint stripper had. It's also loosening the paint on the wooden door frames and trim to where it can be scraped fairly easily with a dull knife. I'll still have to re-sand the wood, but it's going much faster and easier than the previous method. And before I use the new paint, I'm testing it on some scrap, just to be sure! :D

David
Montezuma, IA

Tinkerer
07-20-2008, 04:40 PM
If it had been my metal door... I'd of pop the pins and headed for the pressure washer... latex would of sheeted right off.;)

38_Cal
07-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Yep, but I would have to go buy one, first! I know, how have I lived this long without one?

David
Montezuma, IA