PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot / Lincoln / Harris O/A set

Fasttrack
07-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Whew what a bunch of slashes!

I really need to get a torch set for my home shop. I'd like to find a propane set like we've got at work but the local home depot actually has a set by Harris but with the Lincoln badge on it for 170 bucks. Its got both regulators, hose and torch and a small assortment of nozzles but it seems pretty cheap. All the other sets I've found were quite a bit more and it has me suspicious.

I always thought Harris was a good name...

Anyway, thoughts or opinions are appreciated! I guess I'll also start hitting up craigslist for used equipment.

(p.s. this is primarily for cutting or brazing, not O/A welding)

Chipslinger
07-20-2008, 09:16 PM
I think The Harris name was taken over by a forein company.

They are sold a TSC stores and the like also.

Or perhaps just outsourced to overseas.

lazlo
07-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Smith and Victor are the Red and Blue (Lincoln and Miller, Coke and Pepsi) of OA torches. Smith is Made in USA, lifetime warranty. I think the Victor Firepower and up are all Made in USA.

I have both a Smith and a Victor, both will last a lifetime.

The BigBox stuff (Home Depot, Lowes, TSC) is mostly re-badged Asian, and they're often named confusingly similar to their USA-Made (and much more expensive) counterparts.

doctor demo
07-20-2008, 10:33 PM
If You go by one of the industrial welding supply goys near by and talk to them after studying the prices at a box store You may be suprised at how close they are on price , especialy if they have amonthly sale flyer. Not to mention they usualy know more than the box store guy that just got promoted from the mini blind department.

Steve

torker
07-20-2008, 10:43 PM
I can almost guarantee you'd hate the regulators. The cheap ones blow for welding.. they are too hard to adjust.
When you are at the welding supply.. ask them if they have any rebuilt regs/torches.
That way you'll get industrial quality at half price.
There's always name brand torches for sale in the papers etc. Lots of people have them...good quality ones that have been sold several times.
Lots of people want to try welding but soon give it up then sell off the equipment.
Russ

doctor demo
07-20-2008, 10:53 PM
I can almost guarantee you'd hate the regulators. The cheap ones blow for welding.. they are too hard to adjust.
When you are at the welding supply.. ask them if they have any rebuilt regs/torches.
That way you'll get industrial quality at half price.
There's always name brand torches for sale in the papers etc. Lots of people have them...good quality ones that have been sold several times.
Lots of people want to try welding but soon give it up then sell off the equipment.
Russ
Ya , what Russ said. So if you can find good used that would be the way to go and to expand ..... see if You can find 2 stage regs. Way better flame controll over single stage.

Steve

ProGunOne
07-20-2008, 10:54 PM
The local Craigslist seems to have them for sale used quite frequently?

Fasttrack
07-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I began to suspect that this wasn't a high quality unit. Used it is!! There is an old harris and an old smith at work. They work pretty nice but I've also used a no-namer one at school. Everything felt cheap and junky. I guess it worked alright, but...

bruto
07-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Craftsman torches used to be by Harris, and back some years ago their premium sets were pretty nice. I had the Sears best set from about 1975, with two stage regulators, and I'd be enjoying it still if it hadn't been stolen.

I have a smaller Smith set now, and it's not bad. The cutting tips have a carbon washer in them that's easy to damage, and will backfire if you don't keep them good and tight. Otherwise they're pretty decent, and handle nicely.

wierdscience
07-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Unless you want to plunk down a wad of cash and buy a whole pro. set.

I would settle on a brand name supported locally and build your kit one piece at a time starting with good two-stage regs.

If you want a cutting rig,get a straight cutting torch,not the two-piece handle mechanic's rigs.

For gas welding buy a base handle and individual mixers and tips,much better setup if you intend to get serious with brazing/gas welding.

Personally I like Purox and Victor,Purox is part of Esab and Victor is owned by Thermadyne IIRC.

I have never really liked Harris products,the're tip seat design is less than the best IMHO.