PDA

View Full Version : Ironworker is here!!!

torker
07-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Well it isn't in a bucket...damm thing is in one piece. Too bad really... it's a tippy lil sucker. I have to winch it to the rear of the trailer so I can unload it under my lifting beam at the front of the shop. this trailer is a wee bit too wide to fit in the shop without moving stuff for a half a day.
The thing scaled heavier than the machine sales place said...1487 pounds instead of their 1200#. Take off 40# for the pallet...still pretty heavy.
I know what I'll be doing for the afternoon anyway..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00001-65.jpg

Willy
07-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Yeehaw, it's Christmas in the Kootneys!
Betcha can't wait ta plug her in. Did it come with some goodies? Dies etc.
It's gona be a long day before you go to bed. Have fun.

torker
07-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Willy..yes it came with a bunch of dies and a box full of something..not sure what yet. Won't be pluggin it in right away.. it's 440V 3ph. I only have 220V 1ph.
i have to skid it around and pull it back a few feet. Sorta nervous.. it's REALLY tippy on that pallet.
So...slow it'll be!
Russ

Scishopguy
07-21-2008, 01:53 PM
You are gonna love that baby to death!!! Steel is putty under the jaws of one of those. Ask the electrical folks here but I think you can reconfigure the coils by changing the leads in the motor and make it run on 220 3 phase as well. If not, a step up transformer, maybe?

A rolling A frame crane would be nice about now. ;)

Good luck with the new toy, we are all jelous.

Dawai
07-21-2008, 02:37 PM
MOTOR CONNECTIONS inside the peckerhead..

440= 4&7, 5&8, 6&9, lines on 1, 2, 3
220= 4,5,6 together in wire nut.. Lines 1&7, 2&8, 3&9

Inside starter, it may be mechanical, if so, nothing changes.. but.. if electric coil, and there is no taps on the coil in the contactor it must be changed to lower voltage.

Post pictures of controls.. ok.. I can long range advise.

My scotchman Dvorak had a 220/480 3phase motor.. I had this old motor off a pressure washer, now the ironworker is a 120 volt unit.. it had a belt drive pump under that skirt on the bottom. I could've put a 5hp briggs and stratton just as easy on it..

About all of the ironworkers I have moved? the instructions said to slip a sling around the top fulcrum bar.. one of the strongest parts of the machine. I've been going to weld hooks on mine..

http://www.bbssystem.com/download.php?id=963

Remember the fence? you adjust it for repeat lengths... stick it, and shear it.. got identical parts. Start gathering parts.. A laser line generator would be cool too.. cost ever bit of $10.. a harbor freight level??

Evan
07-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Russ said he only has 220v 1 phase. He's going to have to do a bit more than change a few wires around.

torker
07-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Here it is in all it's finery!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00001-66.jpg
This machine has seen very little use
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00002-46.jpg
The motor is 3 hp /230/460V 3/ph. Should be easy enough to change out.
I'd really like to have it 110V or 220V 1ph...anyone know what I'd need for HP rating to replace what I have?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00003-29.jpg
This is the part that REALLY pi$$es me off. I asked the sales guy to tell me what came with the machine...what size where the punches etc. Said they where really small punches in the turret. That there where no other punches.
Well... in the box (no this doesn't pi$$ me off)are 12 complete punch sets ontop of the 5 in the turret.
All the sizes I'll need for a long time...all like new.
Because the salesman is lazy??? or whatever... he can't look in the box...so I buy two punch sets new...THAT I ALREADY HAVE!
Next time I buy something from these guys I'll be asking for a different salesman.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00004-25.jpg
Now off to get my NEWEST toy.. an overhead crane!!!

lazlo
07-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Russ said he only has 220v 1 phase. He's going to have to do a bit more than change a few wires around.

Yeah, but torque cogging isn't going to matter a lick to an Ironworker. It'd be a lot cheaper just to buy a single-phase 3 HP motor than build a 3 HP rotary converter or a VFD.

By the way Russ, isn't that gigantic Van Norman you got three-phase?

torker
07-21-2008, 03:38 PM
By the way Russ, isn't that gigantic Van Norman you got three-phase?
Yup...575V/3ph
I gotta get some suggestions from you guys what to put in here for a single phase motor (hp) then I'll phone Cowgary and do some shopping.
Russ

lazlo
07-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Russ, if you're going to populate your (pro) shop with 3-phase machines (i.e, if the Van Norman and the Ironworker are the first of many), then I'd build a rotary phase converter -- it'll be a lot more economical than putting a VFD on each machine.

On the other hand, having electronic vari-speed on an Ironworker would be really cool ;)

quasi
07-21-2008, 03:55 PM
that one punch on the turret looks an awful lot loke a coffee cup. Torker, did you buy it from Modern tool in Calgary?

torker
07-21-2008, 04:13 PM
that one punch on the turret looks an awful lot loke a coffee cup. Torker, did you buy it from Modern tool in Calgary?
Quasi...ya I did. I usually deal with ol' John there. Good ol' kinda business guy. This new breed doesn't have the same business ethic as the old bunch.
Robert.. I hear you.. however I have to standardize the motors to one voltage. These 460 and 575V motors throw a wrench in the works. (oops..I know..the 460v can be rewired to 220V)
Hohum...hurry up and wait..all bloody day. The guy with my overhead crane has been bitchin about getting it out of there...then when I get time..he's too busy to load me!

jimmstruk
07-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Hey Torker, just my $.02 worth, get a cheap old 7.5 horse motor, a static phase converter to start the 7.5 motor and you have the rotary converter you need.Rewire the iron worker to 220 and start munchin metal. Thats how I run my 3phase equipment. JIM

Quetico Bob
07-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Right on buddy. Pretty sure HP is HP. Dosn't matter what the phase is. Get a nice leeson 3 hp 220v single phase, should do the trick. Check out farmer's COOP.
Cheers, Bob

wierdscience
07-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Nice one Russ!

mochinist
07-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Damn I'm jealous

Evan
07-21-2008, 10:14 PM
On the other hand, having electronic vari-speed on an Ironworker would be really cool

Yep. Turn the knob and wait five minutes for the rpms to change....

doctor demo
07-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Nice machine Russ, I'm glad for you.
They are top heavy, like the warning lable says.
If the footprint was any narrower you could sneak up on it and ''cow tip it''
Steve

torker
07-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Nice machine Russ, I'm glad for you.
They are top heavy, like the warning lable says.
If the footprint was any narrower you could sneak up on it and ''cow tip it''
Steve
You got that right! It didn't help that they had it on a rotten pallet with maybe one nail holding it together..

rdfeil
07-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Russ,

Hp is Hp, check the nameplate on the motor and get a single phase one of the same Hp AND RPM. Remember that the rpm of a motor will vary slightly due to the slip rating of the motor, so the nominal speed will probably be 1800 or 3600, actual rating will probably be 1720-1780 or 3440-3560 (at 60hz), either way the exact rpm doesn't matter just close :) Good looking machine, you will like it.

Robin

hardtail
07-22-2008, 02:12 AM
Try and get the same frame size also then it's just a bolt in replacement.

torker
07-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if maybe a 3ph motor had more oomph than a single phase. I got all the info off the tag last nite. also measured the shaft on the motor.
It's kinda weird...1.135" (or 28.80mm). It goes into a rubber coupler. I'm thinking that shaft size could be a bit of a problem....but not something that can't be fixed somehow.

Dawai
07-22-2008, 09:56 AM
.so I buy two punch sets new...THAT I ALREADY HAVE! Next time I buy something from these guys I'll be asking for a different salesman.

RUSS... don't look that gift horse in the mouth, most salesmen would have "kept" the extras anyways and possibly ebayed them, where you could have bid on them too???

When you win a tool at a tool auction, grab the tooling first thing, cause there will be some SOB slide the tooling into the box of parts he bought. NO item numbers on the individual tools.. or it may just be the thieving hillbillies around here??? Anyways, I have lost tooling and documentation twice now. It goes home with me on the first day..

Relax... OOOOOHHHHHMMMMMMM (swirling my Baoding balls)

Dawai
07-22-2008, 09:58 AM
IF you had a 10hp or so 3phase motor??? a lawnmower pull cord or a smaller motor to spin it up to speed?

220 1phase can run 220 3phase... Look around.. the things are probably laying about...

torker
07-22-2008, 07:04 PM
LOL...nothing fancy...just ponied up to the ol' wallet and bought a new motor. Kind of expensive ($430 Cnd) but it'll be here hopfully tomorrow.
Bolt in and go..time is money!
I just hope I don't get another rush order of plates before I get it up and running. I'd have to get my "CNC" drill gurl to stay home from work :D
Russ
Hey.. would that 3hp 3ph motor ever be any good for an RPC down the road somewhere? Prolly kind of small huh?
Russ

BadDog
07-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Until the latest lathe addition (should be here in a week), I have run my whole shop off a 3hp RPC. That includes a 1hp Surface Grinder (never really finished), 1.5hp 2J, 1 hp lathe, and 1.5hp 20" Drill Press. And that includes running more than one at a time.

Now that I've got a 7.5hp lathe coming in, I need a bigger RPC. <sigh> But I plan to keep everything else on the 3hp RPC which will use less power and (possibly?) less noisy. <shrug> We'll see, it may go just to liberate the floor space...

torker
07-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks Russ..I guess I'll hang on to the motor then.

spkrman15
07-22-2008, 10:45 PM
looks good Russ.

Rob :)

JRouche
07-23-2008, 02:18 AM
I just hope I don't get another rush order of plates before I get it up and running. I'd have to get my "CNC" drill gurl to stay home from work :D
Russ

Nice machine Russ.. Bu-but?? Hang on a sec.. Umm, it looked like you said the best hand you have is back in the works?? What gives :) What CNC drill gurl???? Fess up.. LOL J/K really.. You sound swamped with work, good for ya!!!!! Hope you get completely bogged down with it, work is livelihood... JR

torker
07-23-2008, 07:16 AM
JR..looks like you missed the pic of the missus...had her out in the shop drilling holes for me.
It's actually a bit quiet right now. Got like this the same time last year. Sorta the calm before the storm.. I hope... or the high prices have slowed things down.

torker
07-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I think I've died and gone to heaven! Got the motor swapped out...after lots of problems and REALLY sore ribs :D But...man is this thing slick! Not as quick as the big ones I've used but still very fast!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00001-73.jpg
Holy size difference Batman! Hard to tell by the pic but the new single phase motor is HUGE compared to the 3ph motor. The new motor weighs over 100 pounds and was a real treat to get in there...what with crunchy ribs.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00002-50.jpg
Got an electrical problem.. I'll post a new thread about it..
Russ