PDA

View Full Version : how many teeth per inch for a bandsaw cutting aluminum?

brian Rupnow
07-21-2008, 12:52 PM
I am going over to the store to buy a new bandsae blade for cutting aluminum and brass bar stock. They have one 6-tooth per inch and one 10 tooth per inch. Which should I buy?---Brian

RobbieKnobbie
07-21-2008, 01:07 PM
buy the one that will put three teeth in contact with the material at a time.

radioman
07-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I totally agree on at least 3 teeth to beengaged in the workpiece. Any less will result in tearing out the teeth requiring you to return to the store and purchase another sawblade.

Dennis

brian Rupnow
07-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys. I bought the 10 teeth per inch blade. A lot of stuff that I will be cutting is in the 1/4" to 1/2" thickness range.---I thought that 6 TPI sounded pretty coarse.

ERBenoit
07-21-2008, 03:56 PM
I thought that 6 TPI sounded pretty coarse.

The three teeth in contact is correct. But what best suits your overall need should direct your decision. If you are cutting a variety of materials, then your 10 TPI blade is probably a good choice.

.025 6 TPI Hook Raker the only band I use on the bandsaw saw to cut aluminum, regardless of size. It is the most common item I run through the bandsaw. It'll leave you a pretty rough edge, but rips right through Al. In my case, nothing off of the bandsaw is finished anyways.

By right, any aluminum less than 1/2" thick should be cut with a band of less than 6 TPI. I'm cutting anywhere from .100" to 4", and have yet to strip off any teeth on the thinner, (by the three in rule, < 1/2") material. I only change the band for S.S. (if I have a lot to cut, otherwise hacksaw or porta-band) and the occasional brass.

Otherwise, if I followed the three in rule, I'd be changing the band every time I turned around.

So far today the saw has seen, not necessarily in this in this sequence 3/16", 3/8", 3/4" and some 1 1/2" square extruded profiles. By right, this should have been three or four blade changes.