PDA

View Full Version : Another new toy!

torker
07-21-2008, 05:47 PM
I can't use it quite yet ..LOL! But it's finally home. A 2 ton overhead crane.
Needs a new drive axle for the wheel drive but is in overall good condition.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00001-67.jpg
Dockrat will get a kick out of this! He'll be thinking..ok...now where in the h#ll will he put that...there is NO PLACE!!!! (He's right...but an old guy who comes here is giving me two 24 foot long I beams)( You never know what I can do with those!):D

wierdscience
07-21-2008, 09:02 PM
That's the only thing better than a forklift.If it's up high enough lifting things over other things can be much more handy than forklift chess:D

mochinist
07-21-2008, 09:15 PM
LMAO forklift chess, I like that and ain't it the truth.

hardtail
07-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Great score torker, I've always romanced the idea of a bridge crane and a year ago was thinkin of building another shop equipped with such, the downside the $$$ and for the span I wanted not incredibly high of a rating, common sense prevailed to put those $$$ elsewhere in the shop and stick with my gantry, I have a feelin you don't have big $$$'s tied up yet and the rest is coming for free.

A couple of buddies which are HD mechanics were driving for breakfast one morning and spotted one for sale on the corner of a local steel/fab yard so they peeled in, was 36" wider than their roughed in shop and rated at 10 or 20 tonnes, they quickly asked a fella that had been there for decades if there was any problem with it, he shook his head and said he couldn't understand why they were selling it, the old girl had had a bigger load on her than rated many times and didn't blink, the new ones have strain gages or something and everything comes to a halt once the rating is met. Anyway they shortened it up and got a crane to put it in place. That shop is probably around 50x100x25 and heres some of the toys within. Must be a pain to move stuff around so why not just lift and lower.........

http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=23098&view=findpost&p=215695

I see you have met my buddy KOO from another website, he's quite the guy, u 2 probably have lots in common...........

doctor demo
07-21-2008, 10:52 PM
I can't use it quite yet ..LOL! But it's finally home. A 2 ton overhead crane.
!):D
Russ, If Your lucky it will be 277 volt that way you will have one of everything!:D .
I can't see the hoist in the pic. is it cable or chain? Does the trolly hang from under the I beam or does it run on top? I just last week shortened two O H hoists so the building could be split occupancy. 100' +- of 8'' I beam cut up in 12' lengths to fit in the recycle bin. To bad were not geographicly closer .

Steve

torker
07-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Steve..this runs on top of the I beam. It doesn't have the hoist...just the bridge and complete drive. Couldn't go wrong for $300.

doctor demo
07-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Steve..this runs on top of the I beam. It doesn't have the hoist...just the bridge and complete drive. Couldn't go wrong for $300.
So does the hoist run on top of the bridge too ? Are You looking for a hoist or do You already have a line on one ?

Steve

torker
07-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Steve..the hoist carraige runs underneath. No.. I don't have a hoist yet but there's supposed to be a 2 ton coming up for sale in a little while. My buddy has one on his bridge...but the bridge is rated for 10 tons so he is looking for a bigger hoist.

doctor demo
07-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Steve..the hoist carraige runs underneath. No.. I don't have a hoist yet but there's supposed to be a 2 ton coming up for sale in a little while. My buddy has one on his bridge...but the bridge is rated for 10 tons so he is looking for a bigger hoist.
Russ, We demolished a never used (old) gantry 25 T crane last year. Right befor scrap prices went up. I have a extra 12 ton ,2 sheave block in the corner of the shop that needs a good home befor it goes to the gas chamber.
I might know where a good hoist is. Might be able to pick it up for whatever frt. costs.

Steve

doctor demo
07-23-2008, 09:06 PM
PING, bump.

Steve

torker
07-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Sorry Steve.. I've been so damm busy I forgot about this.
I'll pm you.
thanks for babysittin me buddy!
Russ

Your Old Dog
07-24-2008, 07:12 AM
.......was thinkin of building another shop equipped with such, the downside the $$$ and for the span I wanted not incredibly high of a rating, common sense prevailed to put those $$$ elsewhere in the shop and stick with my gantry,I see you have met my buddy KOO from another website, he's quite the guy, u 2 probably have lots in common...........

Not a thread hijack but might give torker an idea. How come the gantry setups can't have a third post, one that can be slid anywhere along the gantry to give it some moral support when working near the center of a long gantry? Sort of like a temporary tall jack for those loads working beyond the specs of the gantry.

Torker, I hope this photography is all digital or you'd go broke buying film with the serious in-rush of goodies to your shop!