PDA

View Full Version : Where to get keyed washer for wheel bearing nut??

winchman
07-21-2008, 07:31 PM
I had to replace the wheel bearings on the trailer I recently acquired. The washer between the inner race of the outer bearing and the adjustment nut doesn't have a prong to fit the keyway on the axle. Without it, the cotter pin will likely shear if something goes wrong with the bearings.

The washers on the trailer were so thick that I couldn't use the correct diameter cotter pin. I need to replace them anyway, so I'd like to get the correct style and thickness.

What's the correct terminology for this kind of washer? Where can I find them? They look sorta like this, but the internal tab needs to be a little bigger:
http://lbproducts.thomasnet.com/ImgMedium/30-24-0061-60.jpg

It's been a while since I worked on stuff like this, so maybe they have quit using them. Are they really necessary?

Roger

Errol Groff
07-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Sorry that I don't recall the proper name but they can be had at McMaster Carr.

Maybe keyed washers? Or tabbed washers.

Errol Groff

winchman
07-21-2008, 08:03 PM
I couldn't find them in the McMaster-Carr online catalog. They have washers with internal notches and external tabs, but no internal tabs to fit in a keyway.

Roger

coldformer
07-21-2008, 08:04 PM
yes they should be keyed, a plain washer will spin and damage the cotter pin.
you can get them at an auto parts store usually in a Dorman display
jerry

lugnut
07-21-2008, 08:05 PM
I think any auto parts house should have them. They go by several names, the most used is: wheel bearing lock washer. DO a google search for wheel bearing washer. Lots of them listed.
Mel

CCWKen
07-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah, MC doesn't carry them. I've looked before. They're Keyed Washers or Spindle Washers. What ID do you need? If you can't find them locally, Snyder's Antique Auto Parts has them. They're listed under the Model T front axle parts as part number T-2709 for $1.95 a pair. I think these are 7/8" ID but I'd have to run out the barn to verify. Let me know if you can't find them elsewhere and I'll check the size and thickness.

www.snydersantiqueauto.com

wierdscience
07-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Flatwasher and a mig gun followed up by a file.;)

roberlt
07-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Go to the nearest (or most favorite) GOOD auto parts store, Get the BIG Dorman book and look up "spindle nut washer" . Many styles and sizes.

Rob

Carld
07-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Any shop that sells trailer spindle parts should have them.

Fasttrack
07-22-2008, 12:14 AM
yep ... Dorman displays

Otherwise I like the mig welder and file suggestion.

Evan
07-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Or you could use a CNC mill and cut a 350 degree arc in a fender washer :D I suppose a rotary table would also do.

R W
07-22-2008, 04:59 AM
Obtain an ordinary washer of the correct diameter & thickness, Cut a slot the same size as the keyway in the axle through the washer, weld a suitable piece of steel into the slot that will fit the keyway, finish with a grinder and file. A larger slot and piece of steel can be used, the tang then being cut to
size.
Welding a tang directly to a washer does not work.

radish1us
07-22-2008, 05:24 AM
Obtain an ordinary washer of the correct diameter & thickness, Cut a slot the same size as the keyway in the axle through the washer, weld a suitable piece of steel into the slot that will fit the keyway, finish with a grinder and file. A larger slot and piece of steel can be used, the tang then being cut to
size.
Welding a tang directly to a washer does not work.

Got to ask this dumb question about now, if'n you weld the key into the keyway in the axle, how in the heck you ever gunna get that lot apart again and remove the bearings if you ever need to ?

Can only suppose that this is what is happening in the first place, possible reason for the original posting.

R W
07-22-2008, 06:02 AM
Got to ask this dumb question about now, if'n you weld the key into the keyway in the axle,

The only welding is on the washer, nowhere did I mention welding to the axle or keyway.

radish1us
07-22-2008, 06:26 AM
OK, that cleared the fog away.

kap pullen
07-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Go buy a proper washer made for the job.

If your home made job fails, and the trailer hurts someone,

it'll be a bit more that $1.95 you're likely to pay.

A guy wanted me to make him trailer bolts at work from 303 ss.

I told him to take his money and put it somewhere.

$.02

Kap

GKman
07-22-2008, 07:58 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/gkman/P7220062.jpg

The last one I saw was made on a vertical mill. Pretty clever.