PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel from the solid.

John Stevenson
07-22-2008, 03:40 AM
So looking round for bits to do for the display board and reading a post on another group about flywheels so great a fancy flywheel.
Did a web search for some drawing but only found a few pictures so decided to draw one out.
I took close note on the time spent on all the aspects.
started after tea tonight and drew a flywheel up in Fastcad which took 15 minutes but I am used to the program, then went out to see what material I had in the bits drawer.
Came back in and altered the drawing to suit the bit of 85mm brass that I had found.

[ Note to self - check material first ]

Another 10 minutes spent scaling the drawing to fit the brass :D
Moved the drawing into VCarve and processed it, that took 25 minutes but some of that time was spent putting some engraving on the edge.

Shot into the workshop at just gone 10.00pm on the pretext of locking up, put the brass in the chuck already on the bed, set the 6mm cutter and the corner radiusing cutter up - forget the engraving that 85mm brass was actually 82mm [ well it's been a long day ]

[ Note to self - check material SIZES accurately ]

Pocket the recess and cut the spokes out - 18 minutes
Change cutter for the corner radiusing, press go and Oh sh1te, 3,786 miles per hour [ approx ]
12 seconds to radius the spokes and 17 seconds to radius the recess :P

Well at least it came out alright even if it was a bit frightening.

Locked up and went back in, checked the program and because the radiusing cutter was 3/32" on a 3/8" shank it was programmed as imperial. so my 175mm per min which is quite sensible turns out to be 175 in per minute, about 4,400 mm per min, as I say it was a long day............

[ Note to self - check cutter units. ]

Anyway here's the pictures, ignore the stupid sized hole in the middle, that was already in the brass blank.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/flywheel.jpg

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/flywheel1.jpg

[EDIT] This was cut on the Sieg KX1 machine with the 500W brushless motor.

small.planes
07-22-2008, 03:50 AM
Now you just need the rest of the fancy steam engine to go with it.

Dave

dp
07-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Looks like an excellent way to prototype for castings using machinists' foam or other non-metalic material. Wood, even. From a hobbyist perspective this is the ultimate Rose engine. And with the right data source you can make very realistic diorama scenes: http://hawaii.wr.usgs.gov/hawaii/. I think that would be of interest to model railroad hobbyists.

Using thin layers of stock you can carve out complex shapes that, when assembled, become otherwise impossible cavities for pouring ceramic, foam, or other media.

It's a good tool. It can even make flywheels :)

John Stevenson
07-22-2008, 04:14 PM
The whole concept is getting easier with advances in software etc.
This flywheel is a good example. It was programmed sat in front of the TV when I was supposedly having 'quality time ' with Gert, then a quick rush out into the workshop at gone 10.00pm on the pretext of locking up and 25 minutes later one flywheel..........

Not hard to program 2 or 3 jobs per night and not getting accused of being in that damn workshop all hours. :D

Did this tonight after getting back from the pub [ note to self - get priororities correct ]

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/wiring%20mask.jpg

Two bridge rectifiers, 3 capacitors and two regulators gets a regulated logic power supply for a CNC setup.
I know you can etch these but it will cut it in 9 minutes and 15 seconds, not worth messing with chemicals for the odd one or two off.

lazlo
07-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Nice job John! That's a $1,000 in brass these days :)

John Stevenson
07-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Not far off :mad:

I lost a regular job a couple of months ago on price, small 'pin' made from 3/8" round brass, hardly any turning on it, more material.
Old price was 9.80 UKP per 10' length delivered at one off price.
[ Multiple bar discount is part of my profit ]

New price is 27.00 UKP per 10' length.

The picture is actually copper clad circuit board but VCarve doesn't have that material in it's data base.

Will Walnut do ? :)

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/wiring_mask.jpg

lane
07-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Come on John you can do better . It sure is rough and raged. But fast any way. Takes me 8 hours from start turn to finish mill on rotary table. on mine. with 5 spokes.

garyphansen
07-22-2008, 08:34 PM
That is the nicest walnut circuit board I ever saw. Do you need carbide circuit board drills to drill it? Gary P. Hansen

john hobdeclipe
07-22-2008, 10:17 PM
I've got no engine and it's breakin' my heart..
But I've got a flywheel and that's a start...

John Stevenson
07-23-2008, 03:40 AM
That is the nicest walnut circuit board I ever saw. Do you need carbide circuit board drills to drill it? Gary P. Hansen

I think we need to go back to the drawing board with this one, having problems getting the solder to stick.
Perhaps it's this new low burr solder ? :D

Astronowanabe
07-23-2008, 04:07 AM
I think we need to go back to the drawing board with this one, having problems getting the solder to stick.
Perhaps it's this new low burr solder ? :D

too much resin

John Stevenson
07-23-2008, 04:25 AM
Come on John you can do better . It sure is rough and raged. But fast any way. Takes me 8 hours from start turn to finish mill on rotary table. on mine. with 5 spokes.
Lane,
Read this post this morning with others and email at 8:30am,
saw that you had mentioned 5 spokes so went into Fastcad and deleted all but one spoke, arrayed it 5 times, modified the curve to get a thinner spoke and brought the file into V Carve.
Ran it thru to get the file which will take 27 minutes.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/flywheel5.jpg

So it's also handy to play 'what if ' even if you don't have a machine to make it on.
I was going to post this 20 minutes ago but got dragged into the workshop to give a customer a part, so I reckon this drawing mod and recode took about 15 minutes tops.