PDA

View Full Version : Got a new toy too!

Ken_Shea
07-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Air-Hydraulic C300A with a Schmidt press control (whatever that is)
They are a bench top but this comes with a factory stand. It is ready to run as all the air supply is already in place.
At 5 1/2 Ton it is a little light in tonnage to do any serious pressing but should be more then adequate for general use.
The picture is obviously a cad pic as I have to borrow a truck to pick it up and so do not yet have it in the shop.
It is used but in very clean original condition, paid $350 for it.
Weighs with the floor stand about 650 lbs and about 6' in height.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x175/Ken_Shea/C300A-opt.jpg

jimmstruk
07-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Looks like a very useable tool, should handle most jobs quickly. JIM

mark61
07-23-2008, 05:04 PM
How much hieght over the bed? Looks like a nice broach press.

mark61

madman
07-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Nice CAD Drawing. What Program was used to make that? Unigraphics?? Thanx Mike

Mcgyver
07-23-2008, 06:29 PM
wish i had one - what exactly is it?

Ken_Shea
07-23-2008, 08:58 PM
I thought it looked pretty handy to Jim, not so big it eats up a lot of space.

Mark,
There is 14.5" clearance.

Mike, I imported it into OneCNC as a .stp file.

McGyver,
It is a thing of beauty and a joy forever :D

Hope to pick it up Friday, that is the plan, if I can round up a loafer that are never around when you need them.

doctor demo
07-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Air-Hydraulic C300A with a Schmidt press control (whatever that is)
They are a bench top but this comes with a factory stand. It is ready to run I have to borrow a truck to pick it up and so do not yet have it in the shop.
It is used but in very clean original condition, paid $350 for it.
Weighs with the floor stand about 650 lbs and about 6' in height.

]
Borrow a truck, come on put the stand in the back seat and the press in the trunk:D . Get her home befor some one picks it clean:eek: .
Wish I had one, broaches ,arbor presses and me not a perfect world.
Steve

Ken_Shea
07-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Steve,
Though your comments are partially tongue in cheek, actually may have to do that.
I am not real fancy on the idea of taking it apart into manageable pieces then just having to reassemble it.
That is all I have done my entire life, take stuff apart, put it back together, it is getting past old. Be nice to be rich where all one has to do is write a check to get things done.

Ken

pcarpenter
07-24-2008, 11:23 AM
McGyver,
It is a thing of beauty and a joy forever

Is that like the "valuable prize" in "A Christmas Story" (the leg lamp):D

I will bet the one you got is not "imported" from Italy although you ought to look for the "Fra-gee-lay" label on it just in case:D

I would think that might make a good press for some small punches in sheet metal at least. The biggest issue might be the small clearance from the column to arbor.

I am now in the midst of fixing up the Ebay Dake 50 ton h-frame press frame I bought. Its a bit bigger than I wanted, but I like the ability to do some bending with all that capacity. Prior to that, I was seriously considering one of these as its a handy form factor for an overpopulated shop. Its a lot like yours (in form, not quality): http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44811

Paul

Ken_Shea
07-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Is that like the "valuable prize" in "A Christmas Story" (the leg lamp):D

hahaha, hope not.

While larger machines seem to be the thinking there is clearly usefulness in all sizes of equipment. The smaller size is actually what drew my attention. I have a 30 ton H-Press at home in a barn, has 3 ram in line about a foot apart, also a 5HP hydraulic system that needs 3 phase that would need wiring run from the rpc. It also would have to be dis-assembled and re-assembled. :(

Your 50 ton will do a lot of bending, I am hoping that the 30 ton H-press will bend 1/4" 90 degree for brackets and such. Do you think it would bend 4" wide X 1/4" 3/16 radius at the largest?

Ken

pcarpenter
07-24-2008, 05:26 PM
I really don't know for sure. I am probably the last guy to ask as bending in a press will be new for me and a drastic improvement on beating things in a vise with a hammer:D

There was a thread on bending here a while back that included a link to a nice document on the topic. It dealt more with bend radiuses and allowances. Lemme see if I can find it:

Here's the link to the document I found for the document I was referring to. http://neme-s.org/images/PDF%20Files/bending.pdf

Unfortunately, a quick review seems to show no information on calculating the necessary force. I well imagine though that tight radius bends require a lot more force at the press since you are deforming the steel further beyond its initial yield point. Likewise, larger pieces should require more total pressure as the force per unit area diminishes with a larger piece.

I suppose there's only one good way to find out what it will do --try a small pice and let us know;)

Edit-- I just realized you are talking about a bend radius smaller than the thickness of the material...is that even doable without cracking and without stamping dies?

Paul

Ken_Shea
07-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Here is a tonnage chart found on the Internet (where else) you may find useful, presuming you get that 50 ton Dake operational :D

Spent most of the afternoon dis-assembling the H-Press in the barn, by myself of course and the front loader. Broke a few things, nothing serious but did manage to break one of the pressure actuator switches and also had to disconnect the electric from them, so now I have no idea how they hook up. At least it is at (notice at and not in) the shop in barely manageable pieces. The barn storage, birds and raccoons did not leave it in the same condition it was put there a year or so ago. Never intended to leave it there that long so no one to blame but myself for the mess.

"I just realized you are talking about a bend radius smaller than the thickness of the material, is that even doable? "
Good question, never thought about that.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x175/Ken_Shea/TonnageChart-opt.jpg