PDA

View Full Version : Da Vinci Cryptex

Teenage_Machinist
07-23-2008, 06:37 PM
My summer-vacation project is done: a "cryptex" based on The Da Vinci Code It is a tiny safe based on the design of a bicycle lock and may or may not have been designed by Leonardo da Vinci. It consists of a main core ( a bronze casting), 4 tumblers (stamped with numbers, hard to see), 5 spacers (white plastic) an end cap and a locking bar. I made it entirely on my Harbor Freight Mini Lathe and Micro Mill.
http://ikrase.googlepages.com/Picture23.jpg/Picture23-full;init:.jpg

http://ikrase.googlepages.com/Picture27.jpg/Picture27-medium;init:.jpg

woot! it's COMMMENT time!!

I love summer vacation. Its good to have a break from HIGH SCHOOL!

mochinist
07-23-2008, 06:54 PM
cool project and nice work, so what you gonna hide in it?:p

A.K. Boomer
07-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Pretty fancy there fella, looks like a quality unit, I used to pick those bike locks all the time - just load them and turn the hardest one - then the next and the next till "pop" , You riding your friends bike that he just locked up and he cant figure out how you did it:D

Dragons_fire
07-23-2008, 08:28 PM
looks good.. i need to make something like that...

just a suggestion, from the pics, it looks like the brass piece on the right side slides out from where the tumblers are right? you have the groove on the plastic piece and it looks like someone could look in it and line up all the slots until it opens. it might be good to add another plate onto the end thats attached to the internal piece to block that so no one can look in..

or else im totally wrong on how it works... .

doctor demo
07-23-2008, 09:18 PM
It is a tiny safe based on the design of a bicycle lock and may or may not have been designed by Leonardo da Vinci.
woot! it's COMMMENT time!!

I love summer vacation. Its good to have a break from HIGH SCHOOL!
I thought the point of a safe was to make them big and heavy to protect what is inside, from outsiders. Looks like some one could put Your safe in their pocket and walk off , with out even the slightest sign of a limp.:D .
Nice looking though, could you post a picture of it open ?
Steve

mochinist
07-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Looks like some one could put Your safe in their pocket and walk off , with out even the slightest sign of a limp.:D .In the movie the secret message was written on some sort of paper(papyrus I think)and it had a vial of vinegar, if you tried to forcefully open it the vial would break and ruin the paper(dissolved it in the movie, but I don't think it would really do that).

andy_b
07-23-2008, 10:23 PM
that's pretty cool! i think it would be neat just to have it sitting on your desk for people to comment on and play with. i'm sure it wasn't meant to store gold pieces or diamonds. :)

andy b.

Evan
07-23-2008, 11:17 PM
All you need inside is a small lump of neutronium. Then it will weigh as much as Mt. Everest. You might need a stronger desk though.

Neat little project. I like puzzle boxes.

lazlo
07-23-2008, 11:22 PM
All you need inside is a small lump of neutronium. Then it will weigh as much as Mt. Everest.

Neutronium is expensive. You could just lock it to your desk with a standard laptop hasp. Extend the locking mechanism so that it releases the laptop hasp and opens the cylinder.

Neat project!

BobWarfield
07-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Now you need a desk with a mechansim such as that from the Nicholas Cage movie.

Nice project!

BW

Fasttrack
07-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Cool! Is that "white plastic" PVC pipe? :)

Where did you get that bronze casting? Must have cost a pretty penny... I'm too stingy to buy decent material, and with the way I turn decent material into scrap... well I might as well start with scrap :D

Your Old Dog
07-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Nice job!! Would like to see some pictures of it opened up. Hope you're having a great summer vacation.

Teenage_Machinist
07-24-2008, 01:00 PM
The core is a bronze casting and is VERY heavy. It is not exactly concealable. Sort of interesting story regarding it's source. The Crucible in Oakland (an industrail arts and fire performance place) has a foundry, where I took a casting class. Cost of bronze was included, assuming you did not make something huge. So for my lost wax I made a sculpture of an eagle and for my sand casting I made a thick-walled pipe. It had to have thick walls due to the slot milled in it-even schedule 80 pipe was iffy. Spacers are made of something called StarBoard that my dad uses in his marine canvas shop.