PDA

View Full Version : Which 6" import rotary table?

wierdscience
07-25-2008, 10:59 PM
I need a 6" RT,import(not India).I'm going to plop a stepper motor on it first thing so I don't care about graduations ect.My main requirements are smooth action,low backlash and decent repeatability(little or no cumulative error).

Anybody found one they are happy with?

Oh,H/V is a must.

JRouche
07-25-2008, 11:22 PM
I like my Yuasa 6" I bought it with intentions of putting a servo on it. Its a stout lil bugger...JR

MickeyD
07-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Look at the Super Spacers that Enco has. Quality is nice, comes with a chuck, and has a big bore, plus you can adjust backlash. I have the 8" version and really like it.

gnm109
07-26-2008, 12:24 AM
I bought the CDCO H/V version. It's identical to the Grizzly 6 incher and, I think, to one version of Enco that has a silver looking finish.

I also bought a tailpost from CDCO to be able to cut flats and keyways on my Enco Mill Drill.. The quality of the table and tailpost seems to be very good. There is no discernible lash. It has a 90:1 ratio and comes with three index disks and a control handle with a pointer on it.

I like the fact that it has four T-bolt slots Some, I understand only have three slots.

Very soon I'm going to make a 1/2" alminum face plate for it to hold a 4" four-jaw chuck that my machinist friend gave me.

I like the idea of converting one to a welding rotator. You would probably still need to gear the drive motor down some more to get a really slow speed.

oldtiffie
07-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Hi weird.

I think I can help here.

I have a "China/Taiwan" "Vertex" V/H rotary table -it may well be re-badged as something else in the USA though.

It really is a superb bit of equipment and very good value for money. I was so impressed that I bought the 8" "Super Spacer" as well - and have never regretted it.

The specifications/report for it are here:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Vertex_Rotab_hand-book/Vertex_rotab6_8.jpg

Sure, I expect the usual "flack" from the "usual suspects" that it "is an obvious photo-copy" and is "China/ChiCom" made - as it may be, but I've checked it pretty closely and it may well be well within those limits. It is as smooth as silk to use.

It has a 90:1 worm-wheel ratio which is much better than the "standard" 40:1 ratio if for no other reason that a CNC "pulse" at the worm is 2.25 less movement than the 40:1 ratio "at the table".

I can post the links to the hand-book if you like or if it will help.

MickeyD
07-26-2008, 09:10 AM
The Enco super spacer that I have is a Taiwan Vertex. Very nice fit and finish, almost as good as my old 8" Yuasa rotary table. If you are going to convert this into a 4th axis for a cnc, the large bore could come in handy.

oldtiffie
07-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Check these rotabs out - 6" and 8".

Check the weights!!! (Kg x 2.2 = pound).

They seem to be a replacement for "Vertex" and the specs look even better - from my Dealer where I bought my "Vertex" 6" and 8" rotabs.

6":
http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=R006

8":
http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=R008

wierdscience
07-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys,I had forgot about Vertex,Penntool has the 6" unit for $239 Grizzly has the same basic unit for $219,guess one of those will be my pic.

franco
07-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Tiffie,

Having a nasty suspicious nature, I compared the test sheet (dated November 22 1994) for my Vertex 6" H/V rotary table - which, incidentally I am quite happy with, less so the Vertex tailstock - to the one you posted, and surprise, surprise, it is exactly the same as yours, except that mine is dated. Jack Huang and S C Lee must have been around for a while. I will admit I have often wondered about the accuracy of Chinese/Taiwanese test sheets, but have never seen one before for a piece of equipment identical to an item I also have to compare them.

Hope this keeps your "usual suspects" happy!

franco

oldtiffie
07-27-2008, 02:45 AM
Tiffie,

I will admit I have often wondered about the accuracy of Chinese/Taiwanese test sheets, but have never seen one before for a piece of equipment identical to an item I also have to compare them.

Hope this keeps your "usual suspects" happy!

franco

Hi franco.

Yep - good products. I prefer the 6" because of weight and space considerations, but that 8" is one big mother!!. Check this for scale - on a HF-45 mill!! The 8" rotab has a 10" face-plate.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/HF45-5.jpg

The "usual suspects" won't be happy - and they won't be quiet for long either!!. That's not a bother as I will revert to my Lion-Tamer role/mode!!!

John Stevenson
07-27-2008, 05:15 AM
Tiffie,

Having a nasty suspicious nature, I compared the test sheet (dated November 22 1994) for my Vertex 6" H/V rotary table - which, incidentally I am quite happy with, less so the Vertex tailstock - to the one you posted, and surprise, surprise, it is exactly the same as yours, except that mine is dated. Jack Huang and S C Lee must have been around for a while.

franco
Rumour has it that Jack Huang and S C Lee had two of the first ball bearing push bikes in the Far East and so were able to get around a lot :D

One thing to look for in a rotab IF you can check it out are the bearing on the worm.
Quality ones had ball or needle roller bearing and two ball or roller thrusts, back to back.
Lately in cost cutting exercises they are just running the steel worm in a cast bore with sometimes one or two hardened plain thrust washers.

My old Vertex has bearings, the modern 6" ones doesn't.

oldtiffie
07-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Hmmm.

Thanks John.

My 6" Vertex" would be about 3 years old - which "zone" would you guess it to be in - with good bearings or not?

I guess I might have to strip it down to find out!!

wierdscience
07-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Rumour has it that Jack Huang and S C Lee had two of the first ball bearing push bikes in the Far East and so were able to get around a lot :D

One thing to look for in a rotab IF you can check it out are the bearing on the worm.
Quality ones had ball or needle roller bearing and two ball or roller thrusts, back to back.
Lately in cost cutting exercises they are just running the steel worm in a cast bore with sometimes one or two hardened plain thrust washers.

My old Vertex has bearings, the modern 6" ones doesn't.

I'm assuming nothing else has changed though right?So fitting bearings should make everything good.

Sparky_NY
07-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks guys,I had forgot about Vertex,Penntool has the 6" unit for $239 Grizzly has the same basic unit for $219,guess one of those will be my pic.

After much reading about cnc'ing a rotab, I found the vertex recommended highly by those that have done it. A few bought several brands that didn't work out before the vertex.

I bought the vertex and have it under cnc control on my mill. So far its working out nicely, no complaints.

Alistair Hosie
07-28-2008, 04:07 PM
vertex has a great name Darin don't be frightened by chicom crap they are good.John stevenson and I could make you one out of some old plywood and a trolley wheel:DAlistair

KiloBravo
07-28-2008, 05:19 PM
I bought the CDCO H/V version. It's identical to the Grizzly 6 incher and, I think, to one version of Enco that has a silver looking finish.

I also bought a tailpost from CDCO to be able to cut flats and keyways on my Enco Mill Drill..

Where is the tailpost listed on CDCO ? What's the item number ? I looked all over their website and don't see it ?

Thanks,
Kevin

.RC.
07-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Here's the test report for my 8"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/OzRinger/rotarytables001.jpg

gnm109
07-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Where is the tailpost listed on CDCO ? What's the item number ? I looked all over their website and don't see it ?

Thanks,
Kevin

The CDCO website hasn't been updated yet to show the tailpost. I called to ask and he told me he had them. I bought the tailpost after I got the rotary table. I think I paid something like $65. The one from Grizzly is $89.95.

He tells me that the rotary tables that he sells are made by the same manufacturer that does the Grizzly tables and tail posts. They sure look the same to me.

If you want one, you only need to call. I like CDCO because he will take PayPal and I don't like to rack up credit card bills for my toys.

KiloBravo
07-29-2008, 02:41 PM
The CDCO website hasn't been updated yet to show the tailpost. I called to ask and he told me he had them. I bought the tailpost after I got the rotary table. I think I paid something like $65. The one from Grizzly is $89.95. I like CDCO because he will take PayPal and I don't like to rack up credit card bills for my toys. .

I like CDCO too. I ended up paying too much for a tail stock from somebody else. It always seemed strange to me that they sold the H/V rotary table and not the tail stock. Oh well, next time I will call. :)

Thanks,
Kevin