PDA

View Full Version : A fun milling project for students

Frank Ford
07-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I just put together a detailed instructional article for a milling project for students. It's a simple mechanism - the "Two Slider"

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/StepByStep/TwoSlider/animaslider.gif

If you're interested, please take a look:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/StepByStep/TwoSlider/twosllider1.html

rotate
07-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Wow, that is like the best instruction on making anything. Great job.

pcarpenter
07-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Frank-- That's really neat--a project that does nothing. I'll put that on my list of stuff to make right after I have finished all the useful stuff I don't have time for:D Only trouble is I will be 80 by then and I don't know if I will be able to remember where I put the pictures or link:D

I hope, however, that you don't take offense as I am only joking. It may do nothing useful but its still neat.

Paul

Alistair Hosie
07-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Frank I saw a device like that for cutting oval picture mounts worked good too.Alistair

tattoomike68
07-28-2008, 04:10 PM
In college we made turners cubes but milled them. I made 16 of them one night on the new CNC Bridgeport back in 1992. they had the college emblem on 2 sides and the letters W W C C on the other 4 sides. I made them for the graduating machine shop students.

For guys who don't know what a turners cube or novelty cube is its a block with everything milled away so there is a center piece thats trapped inside and cant come out.

like this only fancy on the inside.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/ballinbox006.jpg

Optics Curmudgeon
07-28-2008, 04:22 PM
One of our compulsory projects in high school wood shop (they hadn't invented metal yet) was one of these, referred to as a "smoke grinder". Never seen one out of metal, very neat.

Joe

Mcgyver
07-28-2008, 07:17 PM
neat rig Frank.

Mike, is that one that you made? you didn't use the lathe to make the sphere? I'm having trouble getting how that could be made without a mill and lathe (or silver solder :D ).

Here's one i made, cube inside a cube inside a cube - all lathe work. Lautard provided the intellectual umph, I provide the material and lathe :D ....if you don't have it, and you should, one of his beside readers gives detailed instructions

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/michael0100/reducedturnerscube.jpg

BobWarfield
07-28-2008, 09:52 PM
neat rig Frank.

Mike, is that one that you made? you didn't use the lathe to make the sphere? I'm having trouble getting how that could be made without a mill and lathe (or silver solder :D ).

The operative word in Mike's description is "CNC". That makes it pretty straightforward to put many shapes inside the cube.

Failing CNC, try a form tool that's capable of an undercut.

Cheers,

BW

mlucek
07-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Frank,

I just put together a detailed instructional article for a milling project for students. It's a simple mechanism - the "Two Slider"
THANK YOU FOR THE EXCELLENT INSTRUCTIONS !! I'm going to show this to my shop teacher and see if he's interested in using it for his beginning class :) Great HOW-TO's with all the instructions and pictures !!

Mike

mochinist
07-29-2008, 10:55 PM
someone else on this site made one of those awhile back, pretty cool except he called it a bullshi7grinder or a nothing grinder,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_grinder

garyphansen
07-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Frank: My brother made one of those in wood shop when he was a kit. However unlike yours you needed to turn the crank by hand. From your video, it would appear that you have perfected peripheral motion. Gary P. Hansen

Ken_Shea
07-30-2008, 12:35 AM
I just put together a detailed instructional article
You sure did Frank, and a wonderful job of it !

I must admit though that I was drawn to the edge finder with the very noticeable and large kick off.

Where did you find that ?

Ken

Frank Ford
07-30-2008, 01:55 AM
Ken - thanks for the good word. I learned about that edge finder on this forum, I think. It's a Hermann Schmidt and it really does kick over nicely. I gave away my Starrett right after I tried the Schmidt the first time.

http://www.hschmidt.com/

J. Randall
07-30-2008, 02:30 AM
Great job Frank, having just purchased my first mill and just getting it set up your article could not have been more timely. Although I don't have the DRO you gave me so many good commonsense tips on clamping and centering, I may just print it out and take it to the shop with me . I may not make the gadget, but I think your techniques will get me off to a good start.
Many Thanks
James

Ken_Shea
07-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the link Frank,
Had to grit my teeth a bit on the price but it has been ordered, the larger kick off should be much easier to see, not that my age is effecting my eye sight :D

What rpm do you run it ?

Frank Ford
07-30-2008, 10:29 AM
I hope you like the edge finder as much as I do. I run it somewhere around 800 RPM.

Ken_Shea
08-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Frank,
The initial use showed it perfectly repeatable, goes from no kick off to a solid and easily noticeable kick off with just .0001 movement. It now has a home in the #10 spot of the ATC. Very pleased !
With the previous Starrett repeatability in the neighborhood of .0003, which isn't shabby and well inside my normal needs, the kick off was small and you had to look pretty hard, with the Hermann Schmidt it is very pronounced.

In looking at their other products and prices, this is likely the last thing I will be able to afford to purchase from them :D

Ken

wbleeker
08-03-2008, 03:36 AM
I just had a look at the edge finder and decided to purchase one, the only problem is that freight to OZ was $182.10!! I sent them an email to see if they could send it by a slower,cheaper method as I am in no hurry.
Will

Swarf&Sparks
08-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Elipse jig.

Nice work Frank :)

bob ward
08-03-2008, 08:24 AM
I just had a look at the edge finder and decided to purchase one, the only problem is that freight to OZ was $182.10!! I sent them an email to see if they could send it by a slower,cheaper method as I am in no hurry.
Will

Without wanting to hijack Frank's excellent thread, I too had a look at the Hermann Schmidt edge finder and thought the price for the item was reasonable at $48? but hadn't actually ordered one.

But you were quoted $182.10 for delivery to OZ!?!?! That must be the Fedex Gold Plated Personal Courier Service. The 2 ounce edge finder could travel in splendid isolation in a USPS 20lb airmail flat rate box for a mere $39. Let me know if Hermann Schmidt come down to earth and I'll order one too.

JCHannum
08-03-2008, 09:08 AM
First Class Mail International to Australia is $10.30 for a one pound package.

Lots of eBayers will list an item at a low price with vastly overstated shipping costs to avoid eBay fees. I don't think Hermann needs to do that.

wbleeker
08-05-2008, 02:42 AM
I got an email back today and Maria thinks that they can freight it for 22.50 and that it will take about ten days to get here, so I ordered one and will see what happens.
Will