PDA

View Full Version : busybee Ct129 mill drill machine problem

airsmith282
07-28-2008, 07:35 PM
iam trying to drill some 3/8 flate bar stainless steel , tying ot mak a 22.5MM hole i got 3/4 down and 3 times themachine stalled on me and i blew 6 fuses as well trying,, alsot tried alim andi only got 1/4 inch down the aluim tried different speeds and feed rate is te weight of my arm so in other words letting the cutter do the work, any how i can tak emy 15 mm drill bit and use some force ad go clean threw aluim and mild steel but this bloddy 22.5 bit forsome reason i get all ikindso f problems bit is new and sharp and i dont get it the ss iam using i as told was 316 so at least it cant work harden on me

any ideas here

the mills drilling max cap is 1 inch 22.5 is = to 7.8 so iam still well under .. i called busy bee talk to the tech and he cant explain it

now for milling i can mill all i want and mill anything i want even take some nasty heavey cuts and noting is stoping the milling part so i dont get it ?????

Mcgyver
07-28-2008, 08:19 PM
what grade of stainless? you know, unless its free cutting, that stainless very quickly work hardens - ..... you have to maintain a decent feed downward with the drill which as you found is going to be difficult with a 22mm drill - it would have to be a big machine to have enough umph for that. what you need to do is open the hole up in stages so for each pass you reduce the amount of metal (depth of cut) so that you can maintain enough of a downwards feed rate to keep under the work hardened layer. clear as mud?

oops sorry just read the post more completely - you do know about work hardening :D. still, 1" is a big hole in one pass, I think you'll have more luck drilling it in stages. The free machine stainless steels are a lot better but i believe they are still somewhat susceptible to work hardening - its also a heat treatable stainless - maybe its hardened?

airsmith282
07-28-2008, 08:31 PM
iam only using 316 stainless steel the 22.5 mm drill bit is only really a 7/8 s iam well under the limints and i did stage drill it ..

jimmstruk
07-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Drill bit ground wrong , no clearance behind cutting edge?? I have found several new bits need properly sharpened. JIM

tattoomike68
07-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Drill bit ground wrong , no clearance behind cutting edge?? I have found several new bits need properly sharpened. JIM

Amen your stuff is dull..

jimmstruk is right, if your bits were sharp you would not be posting..

too sharp will stall low power machines or make high power machines hog like crazy and scare the hell out of you. you wont see that happen much.

A little advice dont ever make big bits razor sharp on an old turret lathe, you wont like what happens.

airsmith282
07-28-2008, 10:50 PM
ok duly noted ill send it out to be resharpend properly and try it again

will let you know how it goes when i get back and try it again

snowball
07-29-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm concerned Busy Bee couldn't find a solution to your Ct129 mill drill problem. And here I am a complete newbe planing to purchase a 10X18 lathe from them.

Applying the brakes right smartly.

Bill

airsmith282
07-29-2008, 09:26 PM
we found out the drill had made it self part of my SS plat so the drill went to hot on me and well anyhow problem solved, as for busy bee when you get a problem that has never come up how would you know the cure or whta caused it ,, well turns out i have to drill at alot less then 300 rpm into SS plate on this mill as the tourge does not kick in untill the mill is at a much higher speed but by then my bit was trashed ,, thanks to my bddy he was here today thats a machinest over 30 years now saw the problem and now i gota get a new drill or get this one fixed , it was brand new when i started the driling.. turns out what i did not know was that the machines max drilling capasitiy is rated for mild steel not SS so when using ss or stronger you have to really slow down the mill when drilling a 22.5 MM or larger hole into SS or harder metal ,.,

the 10x18 is also a great buy have had mine going on 3 years its great and my buddy just bought the same one today as well great lathe you will love it and you cant go wornge ...

G.A. Ewen
07-30-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm concerned Busy Bee couldn't find a solution to your Ct129 mill drill problem. And here I am a complete newbe planing to purchase a 10X18 lathe from them.

Applying the brakes right smartly.

Bill

The solution to problems along the way come from gaining experience as you go along. This forum is a great resource for newbe's as there is an abundance of experienced machinists willing to help you out. Finding other local home shop machinist's is another good way to get some help when you need it. (just remember to show your appreciation in some way,,, a 2-4 is always welcome at my place,,, LOL )

Machine tool retailers can help you with warranty issues but you can't expect them to help you learn machine work.

As airsmith said I just today picked up my new lathe and milling machine. It will likely be a couple of weeks before I start making chips with it because the first order of business is getting to old machinery out of the shop and then retooling.

I'll post my thoughts about it then along with a few planed modifications. It seems to be a solid little machine and I expect to enjoy using it.

Fasttrack
07-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Amen your stuff is dull..

jimmstruk is right, if your bits were sharp you would not be posting..

too sharp will stall low power machines or make high power machines hog like crazy and scare the hell out of you. you wont see that happen much.

A little advice dont ever make big bits razor sharp on an old turret lathe, you wont like what happens.

Hahaha ... I can only imagine what it would do on a turret lathe. Drilling with a super sharp bit is like drilling through plastic. It blows through the material and tries to pull it up the drill or the quill down. That is an adrenaline rush.