PDA

View Full Version : OT memo to dummy

davidh
07-28-2008, 09:12 PM
memo to the dummy burning off short lengths of re-bar. . .

always wear gloves even if you need to hunt around for them so when you absentmindedly grab the hot end, you will NOT burn the crap out of your dumb hand (dumb being the one just hanging around waiting to get in trouble) damn it hurts and blisters quicker than you can get to the cold water and soap in the house.

for Gods sake, i already know this from my many years of using a torch. . . . so what the hell happened this time ? ? ? ?

owwwww !

a cold bottle does ease the pain a bit but what about later ?

maybe frozen bag of peas from the freezer will be in order.

davidh (the old dummy) injured, , , ,

tattoomike68
07-28-2008, 09:20 PM
LOL it happens, some guys wont ever get a clue...

LOL funny as hell.

smiller6912
07-28-2008, 09:58 PM
That reminds me of the story of the supervisor that walked up to a welding table and picked up a freshly welded part and immediately dropped it. The welder said "Hot ain't it?". Without batting an eye the supervisor said "Nope, just don't take me long to check parts."
:D

gunbuilder
07-28-2008, 10:40 PM
That reminds me of the story of the supervisor that walked up to a welding table and picked up a freshly welded part and immediately dropped it. The welder said "Hot ain't it?". Without batting an eye the supervisor said "Nope, just don't take me long to check parts."
:D
Or how about the city slicker in the blacksmith shop. He picked up a hot horseshoe, he dropped it and blew on his fingers. The blacksmith said "Did you burn your fingers." The city slicker replied "Nope just doesn't take long to look at a horseshoe."
Same joke, different century.

Thanks,
Paul

Lew Hartswick
07-28-2008, 10:53 PM
That takes me back to my "chemistry set" days and glass blowing.
Seal the end on a peice of tubing and then pick it up by the hot end.
I guess it must be about 62 or 3 years ago. :-)
...lew...

Fasttrack
07-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Hahaha - I've done that before. Honestly, the best thing I can do for blisters is to pop them and pack them with salt. It burns like hell for the first 30 seconds, but after that it doesn't hurt and it leaves a tough "burned" pad of skin that is almost as tough as the ordinary skin.

For non-blistering burns I don't do anything. I seem to heal pretty quick and the pain is gone in 3 days or less - even for really nasty burns.

Just a note about using cold water or ice: Using ice or cold water to treat a burn will increase the likelyhood of blistering and does more damage than using cool water. The shock from very hot to cold is hard on the skin. If the burn is bad enough, then cool water will stop the burn withough causing shock.

bighammer
07-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Been there done that got scars to hide too.I also will never learn.

topct
07-29-2008, 04:59 PM
a cold bottle does ease the pain a bit but what about later ?

More cold bottles.

davidh
07-29-2008, 09:56 PM
i got this white greasy stuff from the burn unit at one of the local hospitals a few years ago and had it in the door of the 'fridge in a old film cannister. smeared it on and applied cover to it and the pain subsided after about two or three cold bottles were applied.
i don't remember what the name of the stuff is but its by prescription only. it works great on my poor little pinkies.
now i have monsterblisters frm the tip to the middle knuckle, , , both center fingers but at least its the dumb hand.

Mcostello
07-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Silver Queen was the medicine for burns.
Don't ask!

boslab
07-29-2008, 11:32 PM
try this, get a lab wash bottle, fill with acetone or isopropyl, squirt burn when it happens, as the volitile evapourates it pulls the heat out instantly, it works and its cheap, after 30 years messing with molten steel in a steelplant ive burnt everything, yes that too, worst one was climbing down a ladder inbetween two red hot 30 ton slabs, ladder was glowing not literally], the palms came off my hands when i tool my gloves off, the pain over the next few days was horrible, i actually cried! so i sympathise with those who like myself can be so dumb as to test the laws of thermodynamics on thier paws.
incidentally, having been around a lot of bad burns over the years, and others will attest to this, ROAST PORK, thats what humans smell like when they get badly burnt, i'm now a veggie.
regards
mark

Fasttrack
07-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Oh my gosh - I can't stand pork. The smell is horrible. I've worked on a hog farm and spreading dead pigs on the fields or (as you said) the smell of burnt skin comes back to me everytime I catch a whiff of pork being cooked. Yuck.

I've always admired the guys who worked in steel mills. That looks like a hell of a place to work - hard, hot and dangerous, every day! I'd love to work in one for about a week, just to see what it was like. After that I'd probably be worn out and ready to take a break ;)

Ken_Shea
07-30-2008, 12:23 AM
David,
You need to look at the positive side, you probably will not do that again.

Pain is a great teacher. :D

Too bad it is not used to teach kids what no means any longer.

J. Randall
07-30-2008, 01:16 AM
Mcostello, I have used something prescription called Silvadene, I think, not sure about the name or spelling. Is that what you are calling Silver Queen?

A little trick that sounds silly but works, is to grab your earlobe as quick as you can if you grab something hot with your fingertips. You can actually feel the heat wicking out of your fingers in to the cooler earlobe. Sometimes it will prevent a blister.
James

Weston Bye
07-30-2008, 06:33 AM
"If you smell something stupid burning, let go."

motomoron
07-30-2008, 10:14 AM
+1 for silvadene. My wife was softening a hardened block of brown sugar in a baggie in the microwave. The inevitable result was a gnarly 2nd degree burn on a couple fingers and the side of her hand. At the ER she was given a tube of Silvadene, and the healing process was quick and effective. She had essentially no scarring.

A few years later, a chance encounter between the muffler of my old BMW motorcycle and her leg-not an uncommon injury-was greatly helped by this stuff. I use it regularly as a balm to ease the results of my "labor saving experiments" which I conduct using fingers, Tig and Mig welders, and a plasma cutter...

Carld
07-30-2008, 10:22 AM
I always kept a small jar of Aloe Vera in my tool box for when I burned myself. Apply a generous coating on the burn and LEAVE it for at least a half hour. It has to soak into the burn to do the job.

I also use it on my face after a shower for a skin softner. It works real good for sunburn as well.

We used to keep a live plant to use but it's to hard to do and the gel in a bottle works fine.