PDA

View Full Version : Hello - new to the forum

Jim Stabe
07-29-2008, 11:14 AM
I recently had the good fortune to acquire a Kondia FV-1 variable speed mill from an old tool maker who took very good care of the machine. The table doesn't have a mark on it, the x axis has .015" backlash and the y axis only has .006". It came with all the tooling I could ever imagine using and cutting tools to last a lifetime. The machine was purchased new in 1979 but sat for at least 12 years after his health started to deteriorate and there are a couple of issues I found when I fired it up.

There is a Teledyne Gurley Pointfinder-10 DRO that works intermittently and then the display goes crazy. Sometimes it just shows decimal points and other times it shows random characters or portions of characters. If I turn it off and back on I get a different condition on the display each time. I don't have a manual for the unit so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not. Anybody have any ideas?

The second issue is a noise from the head area. I lubed everything before I started it but there is a noise like a fan lightly rubbing on sheet metal coming from the drive area. Do the VS belts make a noise or can they get hard and get noisy? Do I need to apply any belt dressing to these belts? I have only run it for a minute or two until I find out what is causing the noise. Again, I don't have a manual for the machine.

Jim

hardtail
07-29-2008, 01:33 PM
I recently had the good fortune to acquire a Kondia FV-1 variable speed mill from an old tool maker who took very good care of the machine. The table doesn't have a mark on it, the x axis has .015" backlash and the y axis only has .006". It came with all the tooling I could ever imagine using and cutting tools to last a lifetime. The machine was purchased new in 1979 but sat for at least 12 years after his health started to deteriorate and there are a couple of issues I found when I fired it up.

Jim

Hello, I always thought the letters written to Penthouse were phoney until this happened to me..........JK, nice find.

Can't help with the DRO but the VS belts are noisy.

Forrest Addy
07-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Jim, gain access to the belt somehow and rub bar soap on the edges. This will silence the belt noise. The DRO problem is probably noise from a bum connection. Get into it (with technical supervision if you can find an electronics savvy buddy) and wiggle the plugs and connectors.

Just Bob Again
07-29-2008, 04:33 PM
There is a Teledyne Gurley Pointfinder-10 DRO that works intermittently and then the display goes crazy. Sometimes it just shows decimal points and other times it shows random characters or portions of characters.
Jim

A loose scale connector would likely mess up one or the other display, not both and not in that way. Something internal could be loose from banging around in shipping. Unplug it, open it up and gently press on all the connectors. If it sat for a dozen years without being powered up, electrolytic caps can also sometimes go bad. They're electrochemical. Sometimes it's reversible. If there's no smell of smoke or other sign of something really bad, leave it on for several hours and see if it improves.

MickeyD
07-29-2008, 10:28 PM
I have a 12x42 Hurco/Kondia CNC mill. Very similar to yours except it has a ball screw to move the spindle and the head does not nod or tilt. The Kondias are very nice machines, stiffer and heavier than a Bridgeport, so you have a real winner there. There should be a couple of vented covers on the side of the head that allow inspection access to the belt. Remove them and crank the spindle around by hand (run the VS up to full speed and then shut down the motor). Mine had a little fraying on the edge of the belt from old age, so I replaced it and the noise went away (sort of a swooshy rattle noise as the strands whipped around). The heads are actually pretty easy to tear down for belt replacement, but I would try to find a manual first if possible.

If both axis's on the DRO are going wonky, it sort of sounds like the head is going out. You may be able to find a replacement head on Ebay, or just update to a newer one like one of the Anilam Wizards. The new ones will do all kinds of cool tricks beyond accurate location.