PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Bridgeport Way Wipers. Pics

miker
07-29-2008, 10:53 PM
The 1939 Fray/Bridgeport I am refurbishing has Way Wipers mounted on each side at the Rear of the Knee. These wipers clean the Vertical Dovetail of the Column.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/mikerr/P7300006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/mikerr/P7300004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/mikerr/P7300003.jpg

The felt is not just a flat piece, but seems to be a moulding of felt which fits into the holder. Quite thick on one end.
They may also be glued in but one came away after soaking in petrol/gasoline.

Has anyone replaced these? Made them yourself or purchased as a spare part.?
All the other wipers I can just make up out of some suitable flat material.
Any help would be appreciated as I have come to a dead halt here.

Rgds

Ryobiguy
07-29-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm no expert, but it looks like you could get some felt of the same thickness and carefully cut it to the same shape, except leaving just a tiny bit more sticking out on the business end to allow it to break-in and compact. Seems like it could be tricky to shape it just right so the felt compacts evenly across the way.

I bet it would stay in there just fine without glue.

-Matt

Fasttrack
07-30-2008, 12:35 AM
The wipers on my Pacemakers are all made out of duprene, and the guy I bought them from replaced the wipers on his Tree CNC mill with rubber as well. He got a torn mud flap from a semi truck and used it. Just something to think about. You can cut and sand it to the desired shape and it does a good job as a wiper.

Alan in Oz
07-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Miker,
I had luck finding a felt supplier here in Perth (some time ago now) for way wiper material, I'm sure you would have similar on your side, otherwise a piano repair shop would be a good place to also try. Some "felt" material I've seen is synthetic which does not appear to be as good.

38_Cal
07-30-2008, 09:26 AM
If you need a ready source for thick felt to form your wipers from, consider getting a small felt buffing wheel and cutting/carving it to shape. Different densities are available, too.

David
Montezuma, IA

pcarpenter
07-30-2008, 11:57 AM
McMaster-Carr carries all sorts of felt in flat and rounds. I tend to think that if you got a thick piece of fairly hard stock (which you want anyway) you could trim it with an exacto knife to get it close. If you wanted to go a step further to then conform it to the work, I would think you could wet it and clamp it in place on a piece of aluminum using your wiper holder as a sort of mold. Put the whole thing in a warm oven to help dry it out.

Just a thought....I have no real experience doing this. I wonder what hat makers use to soften felt and form it?

Paul

38_Cal
07-30-2008, 12:53 PM
I wonder what hat makers use to soften felt and form it?

Paul

No use asking them...they're all mad! :D Actually, steam is used for softening and shaping western type felt hats.

David
Montezuma, IA

Scishopguy
07-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Miker...Wow! Those wipers are really cadillac compared to the minimal ones found on more modern Bridgeports. I found some pretty stiff felt pads at the local WalMart store in the furniture/hardware department. The pad is 1/4" thick by 4" by 6" and is sticky on one side. I don't know if you folks have Wally World down under but I would be surprised if you didn't. They are taking over the world, you know. ;)

.RC.
07-30-2008, 05:04 PM
You could have a look in you nearest clark rubber store...They might stock something suitable http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/

nheng
07-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Brand new Xacto knife blades cut hard felt like a sharp knife thru an apple. You just push down vertically without any sawing action. I think Xacto has some gouge shaped blades and these could be used to create clean curves by the same guillotine action. Like someone already mentioned, just increase the dimensions on the worn edges facing the ways so you have some compression when installed. I use white F1 felt (from McMaster) for replacement wipers.

I've also rejuvenated wipers by ultrasonic cleaning in purple degreaser (Castrol or others), rinsing with hot water and squeezing them out repeatedly, finally squeezing them between paper towels until nothing else oozes out. Lastly, they get a soaking in hydraulic R&O or way oil.

The cleaning process re-fluffs the felt and they are probably as effective as new, unless they are badly worn from not being replaced.

Den

miker
07-30-2008, 10:45 PM
First off, thanks to all of you for responding with your ideas and experience.

Matt, yes cutting from similar thickness is looking like the way to go and you are probably right about not needing glue.

Fasttrack, I will certainly look into the Rubber suggestion. I live not far from a busy truck route and may be able to rig up a trap to catch one. :)

Alan, it wouldn't take much to convince me to fly to Perth in search of Felt. The temperature was -2 deg C here last night. LOL. A friend of mine is a French Polisher and does work for Piano repairers. Good thought!!

David, good one, I may even have a 2inch by about 1/2 inc thick old buffing wheel that came with and old hand drill years ago. I'll go in search.

Paul, shredding some felt and reconstituting it wet in a mould arrangement with heat involved sounds interesting. Thank you.

David, I have started gathering the Mercury :).

Jim, I am surprised that they are so much different to the more modern machines. This is one of the original Round Column models. I think you may be refering to the felt used to protect polished timber floors from furniture. Worth a look!!

Ringer, I have a Clark Rubber outlet not far from here. The manager is a real Gumboot but they do have some interesting material. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rgds

miker
07-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Den, I wouldn't have thought of using that straight down cutting action. Makes sense. Thanks. The original felts are 69 years old. I don't think even the Pope could help them. Heck he was in town last week I should have asked! :)

Rgds

murph64
07-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Fray? Really? :D Can you post pics of the whole machine? I picked up an RH10 a couple of weeks ago and might be giving it the once over.

Andy

bollie7
07-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Miker
I was trying to get some felt recently to use as a liner on the bottom of some steel drawers. There are a couple of felt suppliers here in Aus. For your wipers I think you would need an "Engineering" grade. As you don't need a large quantity the price shouldn't be that great. I ended up finding a ruber type product for my drawers at Clark Rubber that was a lot cheaper than felt.

http://www.feltfabricating.com/decorative-felts.htm

http://www.ausfelt.com/saddle.htm

http://www.feltshop.com.au/categories.asp?cID=1

http://www.trugradematerials.com.au/felt-supply.asp

I'm about 40K west of Newcastle and we too had -2deg C this morning. I don't think I could handle the winter temps that some of our cousins in the northern hemisphere have to contend with. Brrrr

regards
bollie7

miker
07-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Andy, here is a picture of the Fray Head. It is mounted on what appears to be a Bridgeport Round Column base. I think it was put together in Australia in about 1939.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/mikerr/Fray%20Mill/FrontRight.jpg

Rgds

miker
07-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Bollie7, thanks for those links. I will check them out.
I live off the Putty road near Sackville not far from the Colo River. East Kurrajong to be exact. Don't like the cold at all.

Rgds

wierdscience
07-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Used to you could get felt boot heels at the local shoe repair.I have made wipers out of denim scraps (old Levis) I just slacked up some scraps on a scrap piece of plywood and ran them through a sharp wood cutting bandsaw for the shape.

bollie7
07-31-2008, 06:35 AM
Miker
I like near Cessnock, I too, not real keen on cold weather.
Thats an interesting looking vice on your mill. I've never seen one like it. Any details?

bollie7

pcarpenter
07-31-2008, 11:11 AM
I saw a modern import knock off of that vise somewhere recently....maybe even an ebay vendor although it looked a bit smaller. I remember thinking it was neat...designed for holding odd-shaped stuff, but a bit overpriced for an asian item. I am running out of vise storage space or I would love to own one of those :D I have a collection now although some are really dedicated to specific machines.

I have also read tips about taking a gear and cutting it in half, machining the two flat faces that are created, flat. You can then fit them inside a regular vise with the teeth on the two halves meshing to create a pivoting jaw of sorts for holding odd shaped parts. I rescued some maybe 1" thick 3" dia gears from the trash once and have this on my list....but I don't know how I am going to cut them as they should be very hard I would think.
Paul

murph64
08-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Andy, here is a picture of the Fray Head. It is mounted on what appears to be a Bridgeport Round Column base. I think it was put together in Australia in about 1939.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/mikerr/Fray%20Mill/FrontRight.jpg

Rgds

Michael...

Thanks, I was hoping the whole thing was a Fray. I only know of a couple floating around, and was hoping to add another to the list. I picked up a fairly complete 10RH a couple of weeks ago and will be freshening it up a little and was looking for tips :D

If something happens to the machine and it's destined for the scrapper, PLEASE let me know - I'll buy that aluminum guard that says ALL ANGLE from you. ;)

I was down in Sydney for a couple of weeks about 10 years ago for the job. GREAT place. i didn't walk "up" on the Harbour Bridge, but I did walk across it. And did some pub hopping in The Rocks.

Andy

Astronowanabe
08-05-2008, 01:27 AM
in the next discarded bubble jet printer you see on a trash pile
they put lots of felt in the bottom of those things to sop up any
of that $100 an ounce ink that may leak so you won't notice.