PDA

View Full Version : Site Maintenance

George Bulliss
07-30-2008, 12:54 PM
This site will be down on 7/31/08 from 6:30am to 7:00am EST due to continuing work on infrastructure upgrades.

George

Evan
07-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Ah, an appropriate place to make a comment. The Flash based ads from Google ad syndication are greatly increasing the load times of the forum pages on my satellite connection. The text based ads are fine so it must be the amount of data being pulled down for the Flash content. Satellite internet is not nearly as fast as ground based systems. I'm about to find a plugin that will stop the ads but I really only want the Flash to go away. I actually find some of the ads informative and have visited several advertiser's web sites.

garyphansen
07-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Evan: Firefox Ad Blocker works good. Gary P. Hansen

JRouche
07-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Ads??? really. Are there ads here?? I dont see one, and I dont have anything special running. I do use firefox but it still shows ads on other sites. I dont see ANY ads here?? JR

Evan
07-30-2008, 10:07 PM
I don't want to block all the ads, especially not from Google. That will screw up some of the searches since the paid top position links are served from the ad server and I often check them out.

JCHannum
07-30-2008, 10:26 PM
I am on dial-up with no fancy software other than what AOL provides. I have no problem with loading speed.

OTOH, the PM site was very slow before American Machinist bowed out, and is still significantly slower than this forum loading. Please don't "over-fix" anything.

George Bulliss
07-30-2008, 10:38 PM
There should be no changes to this site. My underestanding is that it needs to be shut down while work is going on with the commercial printing end of things.

George

Chipslinger
07-31-2008, 01:58 PM
That didn't take long

J Tiers
07-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Don't sweat the ads.

People always complain. The ads on PM are now gone, although they really didn't always make it that bad. It seemed to be a problem with a few coming from overloaded servers, and a structure which forced a complete reload instead of cacheing.

Don (Milacron) is losing money because of no ads on PM. Apparently the sponsor was unable or unwilling to make the ads more user friendly.

No need to have that happen here as well, the site can pay its way , these ads have virtually no effect for even a slow DSL.