PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognise this type of faceplate?

Timleech
08-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Faceplate, boring table, whatever you want to call it.
I'll hazard a guess that it was 'saved' from a special machine. I asked some time ago on here whether the mounting taper was 'recognised', it's a bit like A- or C- type, but falls between the A-5 and A-6 sizes. I've mounted it onto a D1-3 backplate to go on my lathe, where there's just enough clearance over the bed.

http://home.btconnect.com/duttondock/images/Mech/boretable-1.jpg

I was looking for a good way to hold some 'marine pattern' diesel big end bearings for boring after remetalling.
The table is adjustable with graduated leadscrews in both directions, with provision for slip gauges on both axes.
I bought this years ago when I was at the peak of a 'that'll come in useful' phase, it has come in useful but only after about 8 years!
It came with some custom counterweights, but they've been buried at the back of the shop for so long that I couldn't find them, so I kept the speed down to around 80 rpm & it was fine.

Tim

pcarpenter
08-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Tim-- that looks very handy indeed. I would venture to guess that even with the "vise" set in the middle of the backplate, its probably pretty out of balance...even moreso as you get away from the center. I would be sure to add balancing weights to keep it balanced. I suppose this is not just a safety thing, but probably also contributes to better finishes and longer headstock bearing life.

Paul

d kirby
08-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Tim, That looks to be a very nice addition to your lathe tooling. I hope someone recognizes it and can put a name to it, so I will know what I am talking about when I try to find one like it. Thanks.
Dave

Circlip
08-01-2008, 12:35 PM
"Keats"
Regards Ian

kendall
08-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Don't recognize it, but have had a few projects where I would have loved to have one for my lathe.

I've had to get pretty creative to do a few similar jobs, looks like it would be a good tool to clone, and fairly easy.

Ken

riceone
08-01-2008, 12:59 PM
A crankshaft grinding machine has a plate like that on the lathe head and another on the tail stock. riceone

ERBenoit
08-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I'd say it was originally from a small vertical boring mill or perhaps a jig bore.

Though I've never seen a jig bore with a round table.

toastydeath
08-01-2008, 01:18 PM
My bet is definately on "just a fancy lathe faceplate," and also crank grinder, in that order.

I can't imagine a machine other than those two that would require such a setup.

dp
08-01-2008, 02:11 PM
I think I might have been inclined to put the boring head in the chuck and clamp the work to a fixture on the cross slide, but then the lowest speed of my lathe is 150 rpm. I'm pretty sure it would dance out into the street if I were to try that :)

Peter N
08-01-2008, 02:43 PM
"Keats"
Regards Ian

No, not a Keats. A Keats angle plate is a deep vee clamp that bolts on to a faceplate.

Very interesting round, clampy, angle-y, thingy, though Tim. How come you find all these odd tools, like the 'Habit' radius turner you posted ages ago?
What's the secret - inquiring minds want to know.

Peter

small.planes
08-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Tim has a secret porthole to the back of Johns workshop, It was designed that way to help prevent the British isles tipping over. ;)

does look very handy.

Dave

Timleech
08-01-2008, 04:40 PM
No, not a Keats. A Keats angle plate is a deep vee clamp that bolts on to a faceplate.

Very interesting round, clampy, angle-y, thingy, though Tim. How come you find all these odd tools, like the 'Habit' radius turner you posted ages ago?

Peter

Keats angle plate on ebay (item 330193699608)

http://i5.ebayimg.com/06/i/08/06/d5/2e_2.JPG

Here's the Habit radius turner, next stage of the same job, radiusing the bearing ends:-

http://home.btconnect.com/duttondock/images/Mech/RNBE-3a.jpg

The faceplate thingy came from the guy who runs the BW electronics DRO business, he used to publish a list of 'stuff for sale', I think he frequented military surplus auctions etc, maybe he still does.

The Habit radius tool I think came from the homeworkshop ads page, probably in Chris Heapy's time.

I try not to collect stuff much now, no room for it and less money. OTOH I had a call last week from the guy from whom I bought a load of heavy duty pulling gear not long ago, on a Henry Butcher internet auction. He had some more stuff to clear out, but wasn't into paying auctioneers' fees again so had set it out himself into priced lots & was asking people round to view it. I went round to see him yesterday & came away having negotiated a deal (yet to be collected) which includes more of the pulling gear, a couple of AC drives (VFDs) and a good selection of clamps (G clamps, Carver clamps etc).
Incidentally I was using some of the original lot of pulling gear this afternoon, getting cylinder liners out from the same engine the big ends are for (a 1930's Russell Newbery)

Tim

Charles Ping
08-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Peter

He buys lots of stuff!

Have you seen his workshop floor lately?
Neither has Tim!

Charles

Timleech
08-01-2008, 06:40 PM
He buys lots of stuff!

Have you seen his workshop floor lately?
Neither has Tim!

Charles

There'll be a small patch visible in a week or so, albeit maybe only briefly, as one of the CVAs is finally going to its new home ;)

Tim

blake in spokane
08-02-2008, 03:41 AM
Tell us more about the Habit Radius tool.

Timleech
08-02-2008, 04:49 AM

I posted some pics of it some time last year, but I must have cleared them off the server to make space.
My computer died last week & I'm still migrating stuff onto a new hard drive, the originals must still be on an old hard drive. I'll post something later in the weekend.

Tim

Timleech
08-03-2008, 04:51 PM

As I said, some of this info was posted before but has been deleted, here are a few pics.

The centre of the tool arc is 1" away from the body of the fixture. concave radii need the tool set 1" + required radius from the body, convex radii 1" minus the required radius. I needed approximately 1/4" radius on the ends of the big end bearings, so needed a 1" minus 1/4" = 3/4" setting bar. I had a 3/4" reamer to hand so used that to set the knife gauge in position (it clamps into a dovetail on the bottom of the fixture). I've taken the cover off to show how it's driven, but it's a bit confusing as the shadows make it look as though there are gear teeth on the quadrant where really there are just a couple of pins engaging with the worm.

Having set the knife edge gauge, the cutting tool has to be set to meet that gauge at one end or other of its travel and then the setting knife edge is removed out of the way.

http://home.btconnect.com/duttondock/images/Mech/Habitrad-1ab.jpg

Then, it's just a matter of getting the whole kit into the right position

http://home.btconnect.com/duttondock/images/Mech/Habitrad-7.jpg

Tim