PDA

View Full Version : Niles Radial Drill

Fasttrack
08-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Hi guys!

I found a nifty radial drill sitting among the weeds out in a field at the Illinois Railway Museum. What do you guys think? Is it saveable? I'd like to help the museum restore it and setup a machine shop to make parts and be a sort of demonstration shop to show what a 40's or 50's machine shop would be like. Failing that, I'd like to buy it and restore it. (Yikes, another project!)

What do you guys think? Savable? If so... how much would you pay? I'm thinking scrap price...

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/fasttrack237/Trains/100_0796.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/fasttrack237/Trains/100_0797.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/fasttrack237/Trains/100_0806.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/fasttrack237/Trains/100_0809.jpg

Fasttrack
08-01-2008, 08:22 PM
A "whatsit majigger"

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/fasttrack237/Trains/100_0798.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/fasttrack237/Trains/100_0799.jpg

Its all one piece. I think it must be for balancing the axles or something along those lines. Notice that gigantic steady rest! (edit: that steady rest is 2' or larger in dia)

Backyard
08-01-2008, 08:25 PM
That looks neat, go for it, i would if i could.

wierdscience
08-01-2008, 08:30 PM
That one should be saved if for no other reason than it's unique design.

Do any of the shafts still turn?

Fasttrack
08-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Would you believe that I didn't even check? I felt like I was somewhere I wasn't supposed to be and I didn't want to go pokin' around too much. :o

BadDog
08-01-2008, 09:26 PM
And people call me crazy... :p

Looks like a great old drill, would be right at home along side your Pacemakers, in a shop big enough to pull a couple of Semi Tractors in side by side, but restorable? I dunno about that...

ERBenoit
08-01-2008, 10:19 PM
What is the IRM? Anyhow, if you can rescue it from impending doom, or slowly rusting away, what would you loose by at least attempting a restoration? May be quite a project though.

My opinion, It really doesn't look to be un-salvageable.

The government wants you to bid on lathes, mills and other machine tools that look to be in worse shape than that radial drill.

ERBenoit
08-01-2008, 10:31 PM
What is the IRM?

Never mind. :o Figured it out from your other post.

Fasttrack
08-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Well they seem to be a little hard to get a hold of. I am going to send them a written letter via snail mail and find out what happens. Thanks guys! Any history, information etc is appreciated!

p.s. I changed IRM to Illinois Railway Museum ;)

Mcgyver
08-02-2008, 12:37 AM
who was the guy with a half apart half restored full size loco? thats who you'll need to be calling next :D

mark61
08-02-2008, 09:46 AM
At work I use a slightly(barely!) new Niles with a 9 foot swing , 12 foot high and #5 Morse taper. That old monster can handle 3" drill bits at 26 rpm all day long. Having a radial swing drill is soo nice I bought 1 for myself at home. Mine only has a 3 foot swing but stands almost 8 foot high. The older engagement dogs tend to be harder to trip out than the new ones. Maybe due to wear or maybe just design. Definately something to be warry of until you know the machine!

mark61

Fasttrack
08-02-2008, 10:51 AM
who was the guy with a half apart half restored full size loco? thats who you'll need to be calling next :D

You know, I was wondering that myself. If I had the money and the land, I think that would be awsome! I'm hoping to be able to volunteer at the museum and get some experience restoring these monsters. I always loved trains, but they're a little too big for my backyard ;)

Alistair Hosie
08-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Why not paint it green then if it looks good which it will give the guy five bucks to take it off his hands.:cool: :cool: :cool: Alistair

andy_b
08-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi guys!

I found a nifty radial drill sitting among the weeds out in a field at the Illinois Railway Museum. What do you guys think? Is it saveable? I'd like to help the museum restore it and setup a machine shop to make parts and be a sort of demonstration shop to show what a 40's or 50's machine shop would be like. Failing that, I'd like to buy it and restore it. (Yikes, another project!)

What do you guys think? Savable? If so... how much would you pay? I'm thinking scrap price...

if gasoline wasn't so expensive at present, you wouldn't need to worry about it because i'd be driving out there today to pick it up. :)

i say GO FOR IT!!!! that is only surface rust, and i'm sure the old grease and grime has protected the bearings enough that some penetrating oil and shop-time will have everything free and ready for cleaning.

andy b.

mark61
08-14-2008, 09:18 AM
So have you forgotten about this machine or are you going to check into it?

mark61

Fasttrack
08-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Nope, I haven't forgotten. Its hard to get ahold of the "guy in charge". The entire museum, aside from part time landscape help and etc, are volunteers. There is no phone number or email address for the board and the phone numbers that are provided are not particularly helpful. So, I've sent a letter via snail mail, but its a PO box and I get the feeling it isn't checked but once a month so it may be a while before I hear anything ... :(

I haven't forgotten though!

Fasttrack
12-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Well I never did hear anything back from the IRM but when I go home for winter break I plan on persuing it a little more aggresively. Before I go much farther, though, I need to know if I can transport it!

How much do you reckon this thing weighs? Is there any chance in hell that I can get it strapped into the back of a 1 ton pick up with out rolling my p/u over? I guess I'll probably need to look into renting a trailer...

What do you think? 2500 lbs or something?

hardtail
12-09-2008, 12:18 AM
How tall is it and how big is the base? I'm thinking 2500 might be on the lightside, that old stuff was made heavy........

tattoomike68
12-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Anything can be fixed and made run again, I figure you guys in Canada who work on logging equipment would know all about that.

vinito
12-09-2008, 01:11 AM
If it weighs 3K on a concrete floor, I'm guessing you'll need 6K to pluck it out of the mud. I'd bet it's sunk in there pretty good.

Get with Lane & Bill and the thing will be smooth runnings & minty inside a week.:D

andy_b
12-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Well I never did hear anything back from the IRM but when I go home for winter break I plan on persuing it a little more aggresively. Before I go much farther, though, I need to know if I can transport it!

How much do you reckon this thing weighs? Is there any chance in hell that I can get it strapped into the back of a 1 ton pick up with out rolling my p/u over? I guess I'll probably need to look into renting a trailer...

What do you think? 2500 lbs or something?

well, since it's a No. 10, my guess is it's a 10". here's an old 10" on fleabay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cincinnati-Bickford-10-x-48-Radial-Drill-withWarranty_W0QQitemZ270315438153

i'd say that old Niles is closer to 5000# than it is to 2500#. your best bet is a 7000# drop-deck trailer, a bunch of 2" black pipe, and a big come-along or winch. the hardest part will be starting it moving from its earthen pedestal. :)

a backhoe or front end loader would come in real handy for this job.

andy b.

wierdscience
12-11-2008, 11:10 PM
5,500-6,000 lbs,got two radial drills at work about that same size,5,000lb forklift will JUST pick them up.

Dunno what kind of milage your talking about,but a roll back wrecker truck might be an option.Bigger cable wrecker if you just need loading.

Fasttrack
12-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys. Ideally they will be willing to let it go AND willing to help load. They've got cranes and backhoes and all sorts of heavy equipment. Sounds like I would need a pretty decent trailer...