PDA

View Full Version : High priced video projector bulbs

Forrest Addy
08-02-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm looking at an older NEC video projector for my scraping classes. I found one for a good price but the bulb has high hours. I looked at replacement bulbs but they cost (gasp!!) $350 or so.

The pictures of the bulbs show an assembly held together with screws. Is there any way (or reason not to) dismantle the existing bulb when it dies and replace the lamp inside with some standard but inexpensive halogen lamp or whatever technology it uses?

http://www.nextag.com/nec-lt155-replacement-lamp/search-html

Evan
08-02-2008, 05:37 PM
I am sure that an off hand replacement may well light up but is very unlikely to work satisfactorily. All of the optical systems I worked on had some sort of illumination component and there wasn't a single one out of perhaps 60 or 70 different products where the light source could have been replaced by an off the shelf part. Some were very esoteric including a model that used 4 16" long xenon strobe lamps that put out enough energy to destroy your eyeballs in one flash. Good interlocks on that machine.

I'm equally sure the bulb isn't really a $350 item although that is what they charge. The real money is made on consumable supplies and accessories for this sort of equipment and markups at the manufacturer level of 500 to 1000 percent are common.

Paul Alciatore
08-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I know of some sources for specalty bulbs. Let me know the number of description of the bulb and I will see what I can find. That price is quite high, but may be realistic if it is scarce.

Just Bob Again
08-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Is there any way (or reason not to) dismantle the existing bulb when it dies and replace the lamp inside with some standard but inexpensive halogen lamp or whatever technology it uses?

http://www.nextag.com/nec-lt155-replacement-lamp/search-html

It's a high-pressure arc lamp. Not a fillament-type lamp. You could use a halogen if you can adapt it and the reflector focal length is similar. It would be quite dim. A tenth or less. Bulb alignment to the reflector is very important, as is the amount of heat it dumps into the system. There are places that will rebuild projector lamps for about half the price of a new one. Still expensive. The lamps are quite similar from one model to the next. The reflectors and filters and mountings vary. They just put a new lamp into the mount and align it.

lazlo
08-02-2008, 06:52 PM
On an LCD projector, the metal halide lamp shines through the LCD panel and the polarizer, so you need an extremely intense (3 - 5,000 lumens) lamp in a very small package.

Normal lamps aren't going to work.

miker
08-02-2008, 07:26 PM
I think this Samsung one just uses a Piece of string impregnated with Whale Oil!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/mikerr/MAGIC_LANTERN_DK.gif

Not sure where the USB Port is though!

Rgds

Forrest Addy
08-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks so far. I hope for a miracle.

Hey Mike. That will be my second choice. What a great artifact. All brass and glass and fine craftsmanship. No blow molded plastic.

Lew Hartswick
08-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Mike is that for 3 inch square glass slides? A real projector. :-)
...lew...

noah katz
08-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Projectors are like computers in that the rate of improvement means you can probably get a much better new one for barely more than a used one.

You can get a new pj for $500 from Costco, though it's only SVGA (800x600 pixels).

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11251715&search=projector&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Mo=74&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&ViewAll=75&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=projector&Ntt=projector&No=11&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

The lamp is likely UHP (ultra high pressure) arc lamp; it's *not* just a light bulb.

fixxit
08-03-2008, 01:32 AM
I have often had to replace unusual bulbs in equipment.

My favorite supplier is Bulb Direct.
Their prices are reasonable and they will work with you over the telephone to find a replacement.

They have one flat packaging and handling charge.

http://www.bulbdirect.com

Fixxit

Alistair Hosie
08-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Michael I have an old projector like yours not maybe quite so nice but complete with oil burner.Alistair

bollie7
08-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Only $350 . We have a projector at work that the bulbs cost $900Aud 5 years ago. My boss at the time was doing some teaching in Tuvalu (part of a aid deal) so we bought 2 spare bulbs for him to take as spares. Glad I wasn't paying for them. Never did use them either. For those who have never heard of Tuvalu, its a chain of small islands near Fiji. About 1/2 dozen grains of sand /island. Appareantly if a plane arrives unscheduled, it has to circle while they clear the runway of assort washing, pigs and kids.

bollie7

ptjw7uk
08-03-2008, 10:14 AM
A very strange things are these lamps for projectors in that you can get projectors with the same light output but the lamps are a fifth of the price. When I worked at my last job, a school, we had some HP projectors (HP no longer make any) and the lamp for those were 350($700) each and I replaced it with a new projector for 30 less and the lamp for it was only 70($140)
I thought they made all their profit on the lamps which is typical of the way HP work.
Mind you its a good job HP stopped making the projectors as they were the worse thing I have ever encountered in that the fan supplying the lamp cooling seemed to be inversely controlled in that the fan slowed as the room temperature rose until in some class rooms they just shut down due to over heat. I cured them by adding a PC fan in fromt of the air intake not ideal but it worked so I think they are very poor value for the money.

Peter

Evan
08-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Tuvalu is quite well known in the internet web development world. It was assigned the dotTV top level domain suffix and has been making money by licensing the right to use the suffix on domain names.

DotTV, funded primarily by the Idealab company, formed after a Canadian entrepreneur bought the rights to the .tv domain from the remote South Pacific island nation of Tuvalu in 1998. In turn, Tuvalu gets a seat on the board of directors and $50 million over 12 years.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2000/08/38476