PDA

View Full Version : New machining webpage (not forum), shameless self-plug.

toastydeath
08-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I've got the basics (much refinement necessary, plus a real domain name) of a webpage together. My main purpose is machining news and tutorials.

http://toastydeath.5gbs.com/

I don't have a home shop, so all the pictures you see are at work. I'm going to try and keep things applicable to everyone, with an even mix of general topics, manual, and CNC. Any advice or suggestions are very welcome, I'm not really sure how I'm going to be developing this or changing the style in the next couple weeks. Any input at all is welcome.

Just a couple future topics I am trying to cover while I think of more interesting things:

Edgefinding
Tramming/shimming a vice
Using a height master
Setting C-style collet stops
Pictures around the shop in general

Crossposted on the home machinist.

miker
08-02-2008, 06:38 PM
I had a quick look and like what you are doing. Any extra things I can learn are welcome.
Keep it up (as the actress said to the Bishop :)).

Rgds

lazlo
08-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Good start Toasty.

I don't think most HSM'ers are going to have a bore gage setter (or a height master), but the other topics would definitely interest the HSM crowd...

You mention in your "news" section that you only signed-up for two classes next semester: calculus and tech writing. How's the Mech E curriculum going?

toastydeath
08-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Good start Toasty.

I don't think most HSM'ers are going to have a bore gage setter (or a height master), but the other topics would definitely interest the HSM crowd...

You mention in your "news" section that you only signed-up for two classes next semester: calculus and tech writing. How's the Mech E curriculum going?

Yeah, I kind of figured, but I've seen bits and snippets where folks find stuff like that at a garage sale and have no idea what it's for. I'd like to put some odd things up so that if someone comes across a 50 dollar height master, they can buy it and know it'll find a variety of uses.

And if not, oh well, I got to take some pretty pictures. =) Hopefully that will be enough to keep people reading.

School is awesome, but I've been in school for so long that I need to take a light semester. The time has come for a little break, I guess. I'm, 8 classes away from transferring to a 4 year school, though, so at least one major milestone is in sight.

jimmstruk
08-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Very nice site, I would agree that not all home shops will be equipped for extreme precision but I own a set of very cheap guage blocks. Thanks to you I now am aware of another way to utilize them. Keep up the new site . I will visit often. JIM

wierdscience
08-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Good looking page TD,saved to favorites,oneday I will have time for one I hope.

RAD1
08-02-2008, 11:31 PM
I think thats an excellent idea. It's nice of you to take time to share your knowledge.

lugnut
08-03-2008, 01:03 AM
I like your Idea of sharing your knowledge with us, thanks. I've marked your web page in my favorites and will keep track.
Thanks again:)
Mel

bob ward
08-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Thanks for taking the time and trouble Toasty. I always reckon there is no such thing as too much knowledge.

Timo
08-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Toasty, great job. Love the pictures, it makes things sooooo much easier to understand. I've bookmarked it.

4GSR
08-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Toastydead,

Nice website, keep up the good work, let us know when we can post to your site. Don't fall back in your schooling like i did and not finish engineering school in favor of machining.:(. If I could, i would go back and finish my engineering degree.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: