PDA

View Full Version : OT: Computer Good Samaritan day 2

DICKEYBIRD
08-03-2008, 11:08 AM
OK, got everything updated and working fine on the PC project I posted about yesterday. I have another question.

Sis' says she'd like a separate "location" to store her pictures on so she won't get confused. After completing all the W2000 updates, loading a minimum version of MS Office and Photoshop for her, the 4.3 drive now has 1.8 gigs left. I have another 4.3 Seagate doing nothing so I think I'll format it and install it in the unused HD bay. Yes, I know these are small drives and drives are cheap these days but her needs are few and our pocketbooks are slim. Besides, I thrive on recycling stuff and putting it to good use.:)

What's the best way to add the 2nd drive? Leave the original IDE cable connected to the 1st HD and CD then plug in a 2nd cable into the 2nd slot on the mobo and the other end into the 2nd drive? How should I set the jumpers?

cuemaker
08-03-2008, 11:15 AM
The jumpers on the back of the HD's need to be set to master and slave on both. It may show it as master/slave, just depends.

Your IDE ribbon should have 2 plugs on it (not counting the one that plugs into the MoBo)

The one on the very end is Master, the one int he middle is slave.

In Bios, you need to check to make sure the correct drives are showing up in the right configuration.

Once that is done, the 2nd drive will show up as probably drive D, but might be some other letter too....

DICKEYBIRD
08-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks Cue; so the best way is to have both HD's on the same cable then run the CD drive from the 2nd cable?

cuemaker
08-03-2008, 11:35 AM
yes.........

DICKEYBIRD
08-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Sheesh, I could screw up an anvil. As luck would have it, the drive I stuck in was formatted with W2000 and some combination of cables & bios choices screwed up the master drive's boot file. It wouldn't get past the admin logon screen. Just an endless loop back to the same screen.

I finally Googled it and ended up on the MS site where I found an article concerning the undocumented fdisk /mbr command on a W98 startup floppy. I ran that and now everything works great!

cuemaker
08-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Glad you got it solved....