PDA

View Full Version : Coming to your area soon (OT)

Smokedaddy
08-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Thought this was interested. It's fun to live in Arizona ...

http://www.pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/101289915

http://www.pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/101289913

-SD:

A.K. Boomer
08-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Thats just plain sad, ever see those panhandlers and say to yourself "good god go out and do something" Maybe they are? :(

Duffy
08-06-2008, 09:45 AM
The city of Ottawa lost over fifty manhole covers, (facility access hatch cover-more politically correct?) A few days later someone was caught at a scrap dealer with thirty cast iron discs with the City of Ottawa logo cast into them-could these be the missing covers? Hmm, a problem for Inspector Clouseau ? Duffy

mochinist
08-06-2008, 10:03 AM
I have a little side area by my shop, just wide enough to park a trailer and store some other junk, used to have a old chevy pickup bed from my 1 ton out there some fenders off of a 1930 something ford car, and I was storing a cab over for an older truck that was going to go on a friends truck that he is building to haul his travel trailer. Bout three motnhs back the metal thieves got it all, we did end up getting the trailer back, they found it abandoned in south phoenix, the thieves had givin it a krylon paintjob and removed the fenders(to sell for scrap I guess) and it was loaded sky high with pallets which the tow yard made me take with the trailer. The area was locked and fenced off, but this area of Tempe is virtually a ghost town at night. One of the bays a few doors down the thieves actually just backed right thru their rear rollup door, ever since then I park the flatbed right behind one door and the forklift at the other

Evan
08-06-2008, 10:17 AM
My son was in Vladivostok on a naval exercise in 1996 or so. This was during very hard times after the collapse of the Soviet government. He said that items such as the sidewalk grates over the subway tunnels had mostly all been stolen and nobody had replaced them. They had no warnings or barricades either so if you were stumbling along at night somewhat inebriated you might suddenly find yourself weightless for a short while.

The city of Ottawa lost over fifty manhole covers, (facility access hatch cover-more politically correct?)

Access, Sub Surface, Cover. ASShole cover.

Smokedaddy
08-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Crazy stuff ...

One of my students was telling me that they are cutting catalytic converters off with a cordless sawzall. My Neise lives in Carefree and said someone was stealing the evaporator coils out of the home air condition units in their subdivision. They lost 28 in one night. Also, some of the local contractors here are painting the copper tubing black hoping to disguise it as carbon steel pipe. We installed cameras at our school as someone stole thousands of feet of stainless steel tube and copper tube. Sure would like to catch them myself and introduce them to my Desert Eagle.

-SD:

wierdscience
08-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Yup Cat converters,they have wiped a couple of used car dealers here,one guy lost 23 in one night,law does nothing about it.

They will steal them out of the driveway also as my neighbor down the road found out.The only reason they didn't get mine is because mine are already gone;)

They have passed a law here,scarpyard must hold material in a container for three days after getting picture ID and signature.Scrapyard pays with a check later.

It makes for more cost for the scrapyard and leaves a paper trail to the IRS for anyone making more than $600/year on scrap(Form 1099 misc income).Does little to stop theft,except that mandated by government (IRS).

Once agian what they needed to do was make examples of thieves,but instead they decided to punish the honest.

I have friends who own a yard,they have between 100-150 customers a day,everything from $3 al can sales to 10,000lb scrap iron sales,where will they get the containers????

gnm109
08-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Crazy stuff ...

One of my students was telling me that they are cutting catalytic converters off with a cordless sawzall. My Neise lives in Carefree and said someone was stealing the evaporator coils out of the home air condition units in their subdivision. They lost 28 in one night. Also, some of the local contractors here are painting the copper tubing black hoping to disguise it as carbon steel pipe. We installed cameras at our school as someone stole thousands of feet of stainless steel tube and copper tube. Sure would like to catch them myself and introduce them to my Desert Eagle.

-SD:

From the Sacramento, California Bee Newspaper this week. Some thieves apparently got caught in the act.

Elk Grove police catch men with 16 catalytic converters
By Sandy Louey - slouey@sacbee.com
Published 1:29 pm PDT Monday, August 4, 2008

Print | E-Mail | Comments (32)|

Elk Grove police arrested two Sacramento men early Monday morning for allegedly attempting to steal a catalytic converter.

Sean Whiteside, 28, was spotted parked in front of a man's home at Brown Road and Heritage Hill Drive at 4:20 a.m., while Tim Fifer, 27, was seen underneath the man's vehicle, according to a police report.

The catalytic converter on the man's vehicle had been tampered with, police said. An additional 16 catalytic converters and a hydraulic cutting tool were found in Whiteside's vehicle, according to reports.

Elk Grove police are trying to determine if the 16 converters were stolen. (Duhhhhhhh)

Whiteside and Fifer were arrested on suspicion of grand theft, possession of burglar tools and conspiracy. Whiteside also was arrested on suspicion of driving with a suspended or revoked license.

Catalytic converter thefts are increasing common as thieves are selling them to metal recyclers. It is difficult to trace stolen catalytic converters back to their owners, police said.

wierdscience
08-06-2008, 10:41 PM
My son was in Vladivostok on a naval exercise in 1996 or so. This was during very hard times after the collapse of the Soviet government. He said that items such as the sidewalk grates over the subway tunnels had mostly all been stolen and nobody had replaced them. They had no warnings or barricades either so if you were stumbling along at night somewhat inebriated you might suddenly find yourself weightless for a short while.

Access, Sub Surface, Cover. ASShole cover.

We had three Russian merchant marines who had jumped ship here working for us then.Things were so bad the owners of the ships not only weren't paying them,if they needed repairs they were told to sell something to buy parts.Namely copper,freon and cuppra-nickle off the ship.R-12 was still $100/40lb can even after the ban when the Russian boats where in port:D

macona
08-06-2008, 11:22 PM
They aint selling the cats to the scrapyards. There is a big market in good used cats. Just like unfired airbags.

oldtiffie
08-06-2008, 11:23 PM
In OZ, stealing man-hole covers is called "snow dropping".

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=snow+dropping&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

kendall
08-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Big market for them, do a search for catalytic converter on Ebay, 1000+ just now. nearly all sold as 'used scrap' and clearly posted somewhere "This item is being sold for recycleing purposes only, it is illegal to be reinstalled on any vehicle check EPA rules & reg's ."

Found the first listing a while ago, while looking for mustang parts, and strated thinking "why?" Then remembered you can't legally buy them used except as scrap, and new go for over $200 for a lot of cars. ($500+ for my explorer)

Ken.

Evan
08-07-2008, 02:17 AM
We had three Russian merchant marines who had jumped ship here working for us then. On that particular exercise, RimPac 96, the Russians didn't even have enough fuel for their ships to come out and play. While in port my son said the Russian officers were all chatting up the crew of the Canadian ships trying to get an invite to the mess for a decent meal.

He also explained that the one thing that was working in Vladivostok were the Vodka machines. They are just like a pop machines on the street but dispensed small cans of straight vodka instead for the equivalent of 25 cents back then. He brought back a can and I checked it out, the vodka was made in Holland.

Oh yeah, you can't steal the cat off my Ranger either. That came off about two days after I bought it new in '88. :D

PTSideshow
08-07-2008, 05:32 AM
For the cat converters they are hitting the 2nd and 3 shifts at Hospitals, or any place with large parking lots and a lot of SUV's and other higher trucks. they say they were using a creeper.

They have been taking the aluminum doors of houses during daylight in Detroit, and running AC units off the pads outside the houses and window units.

In Flint they have lost 400 plus cast iron street hole covers this year.

Now come on any scrap dealer with the manhole covers. Should be put away for a long time, and all their worldy goods confiscated. Two people, in a raggedy car bringing in 3 or so sewer covers. Didn't have them laying in the back yard.

I don't feel to sorry for the scrap dealers, as they have brought this on them selves. The ones around here, don't really follow the regs on AC/fridges now. And have all kinds of ways shorting you if your not paying attention.
They just caught a guy who set his house on fire burning of large # pair phone cable the other day. of course he also was squatting in the house.

One of the neighbor thieves worked for the local scrap dealer for about a week. Said he couldn't cheat and steal from people like the dealer was doing:eek: :D
:D

Evan
08-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Well, at least the Darwin principle of natural selection still works. In the Vancouver area they had a rash of suddenly dead people who tried stealing copper wiring from power vaults and in one case a sub station. The substation moron scaled a high fence with barbed wired on top and jumped onto a transformer running 70,000 volts. He was later found still hanging onto the wire, at least his bones were. He was apparently quite well carbonized as it didn't even trip the power off.

oldtiffie
08-07-2008, 07:57 AM
OK.

So we have a lot of "Saints" and no "Sinners" here - it seems.

Do you REALLY know (or care?) where that "great buy" came from and how? Or did you think that it was either none of your business or that your didn't ask because you might not like or want to know the answer?

Just what do or did you know about the stuff you bought as "scrap" or on/from eBay or Craigslist or at a flea market, garage sale or where-ever?

Am I a sinner? Sure am! Why is that? Because, despite my best efforts, I can't say I'm not - that's why.

A.K. Boomer
08-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Big market for them, do a search for catalytic converter on Ebay, 1000+ just now. nearly all sold as 'used scrap' and clearly posted somewhere "This item is being sold for recycleing purposes only, it is illegal to be reinstalled on any vehicle check EPA rules & reg's ."

They must be reselling for reinstall (their only putting out that disclaimer because they have too)--- I dont believe this item is related to the scrap steel thefts that are going on as catz are mostly ceramic (unless things have changed) For scrap they'd be better off cutting off mufflers as theres more metal and they dont have to separate the ceramic part. (could they be after platinum?) (((Dunnknow)))

Evan
08-07-2008, 08:36 AM
I am sure they are stealing cat converters for the recycle value. There is about 1.5 grams of Platinum Group Metals (PGM) in the average converter and the larger the engine the larger the converter. An SUV converter with a V8 engine probably has around 3 grams of PGM. Prices on PGMs have skyrocketed like everything else but these metals are in the nosebleed range. Platinum is around $2000 per ounce and Rhodium is almost $10,000 per ounce. A cat converter has between $200 to $500 worth of PGMs inside.

Evan
08-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Here are the actual market prices for converters.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics4/converter.jpg

oldtiffie
08-08-2008, 02:41 AM
Sorry about the "bump", but this seemed too good to miss. It was in today's paper. The Police Station referred to is very close to here, but in fairness it is vacated and re-located for renovations and up-grades.

The thieves were quite creative. Sems that nothing is safe or sacred.

So, it doesn't just happen in the US.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Funnies/Scavengers1.jpg