PDA

View Full Version : Sycamore steam Show August 14-17

Mad Scientist
08-11-2008, 02:07 PM
For those in northern Illinois (Sycamore is a town west of Chicago) this is a show to get you all steamed up.
I have been to this show for the last couple years there is lots to see. Steam, gas tractors, tool vender's, hit-n-miss engines, tool vender's, rides for the kids, food, museum with working steam engines etc. etc and tool vender's.

http://www.threshingbee.org/contents.html

pcarpenter
08-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I got a big kick out of the Model T assembly video. They put enough of one together out of sub-assemblies in 2 minutes to start it and drive it away!:D

I am in central Il and would love to come up but with gas what it is, I am having to be more economical. There's a small one just a few miles up the road from me the 22nd and 23rd and then there is the big one in Pontiac on Labor Day Weekend so I am running out of weekends between now and archery Deer season when most all my weekends are spoken for.

Paul

homeshopAl
08-15-2008, 11:25 PM
My mom and Dad were married in Sycamore Illinois, 49 years ago. I grew up in Rockford, Illinois. I presently live in Winnebago, Illinois, and I lived in Monroe
Center for four years. It is great that there are some fellow Illinoisans that love machinery too. Al.

pcarpenter
08-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Ok....here is a small world for you....I have been spanked with a "Sycamore Spartans" paddle :rolleyes:

My 6th grade teacher was a man and a disciplinarian back when teachers could still get by with that....back in the good old days...probably would have been 1977. This was just before we had a federal "department of education" and at a time when there were many fewer "administrators" in the school system. Anyhow he had two paddles that he kept under his lectern and he used them. Usually you had your choice of spending your recesses re-writing dictionary pages or taking the spanking so it was really the lesser of two evils;) One of the paddles said Sycamore Spartans as he was from up there and the other one was the "monkey paddle"....a monkey carved in a palm branch. The latter had more mass so the Sycamore Spartans paddle was the one I chose!

If any of you are going to be downstate (near Peoria) at some point, let me know and I would love to meet others in the hobby. Dsergison who also posts here and on the PM site is another guy from the area. He is pretty talented from what I can see of his web site. I am embarrassed that he and I have never met.
Paul

homeshopAl
08-20-2008, 11:20 PM
I was just a little ahead of you. I was 16 years old in 1977, and a sophmore in high school. Next year will mark my 30th year since I graduated from Rockford, Illinois' Tomas Jefferson High School, Class of 1979. Surprisingly, I have never been invited to one of our High School Reunions. I have very fond memories of my Sophmore years' General Fabrication Class. I took it for the wood working, but I had a semester of metal working first, (before the semester of wood working began). Surprisingly, I enjoyed the metal working, much more. It's no wonder that I now own a metal turning lathe, and am feverishly saving up for a milling machine. Al Hanson, Winnebago, Illinois