PDA

View Full Version : Table bearing strips (removal)

David S Newman
08-25-2008, 02:26 PM
I have recently aquired a Boxford T/C grinder which
although very well equipped will be mainly used as a small surface grinder. I have the manual with it and it advises that the table bearing strips which are long strips of rollers be removed once a month and cleaned. The book gives no indication on how to do this , i'm a little concerned that I will end up with bits falling out all over the place. Is this a straightforward job or are there any snags that might crop up ? Thanks David

lane
08-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Have know idea . But if they say do it once a month it has to be very simple like changing your air conditioning filter once a month. Lift the table off and look . Nothing should fall out.

Ian B
08-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Hi David,

I also have a Boxford T&C grinder. I think I have most of the bits for it, except the powered head that fits on the table - do you have this (and a spare one maybe?).

If you're going to use it as a surface grinder, you might have a problem adjusting the downfeed - it's a fairly coarse adjustment.

The machine's in good condition, although I haven't managed to loosen the bolts holding the grinding wheels on yet...

I made a mount for 10" wood planer blades - it just has enough stroke to sharpen them.

For instructions on how to use the thing, John Stevenson has an excellent CD ROM for sale - well worth the dosh.

You can see mine in this photo, cowering behind the shaper here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/IanBartlett/?action=view&current=Shaper_05.jpg

Ian

oldtiffie
08-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Ian,
can you post a pic of the wheel hub and bolting etc.

You used the plural "bolts" so I guess there are several.

Some/many surface grinders have a left-hand thread to the grinder spindle as it will tend to "spin off" a RH thread/nut.

Sometimes the wheel is mounted on a hub which in turn is fitter to a taper on the spindle. These wheels and hubs often have a 1 1/4" (31.75mm) location spigot and wheel bore - and often have wheel-balancing weights as well. This is the case on my surface grinder.

My Tool & Cutter grinder spindle has a 1 1/4" mounting spigot. The wheel is retained by a flange that has 4/M6 Hex. Head Socket screws (the T&C grinder is reversible) as it neither has nor needs a wheel-balancing requirement.

Your grinder seem to be a mix of both.

Pics will help.

Ian B
08-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Tiffie,

Sorry, at the moment, I can't take any pics of it; my grinder is in my workshop in Holland, and I'm on an oil platform somewhere off the coast of Cameroon. Only 3 more weeks to go.

It's a single centre bolt (I said bolts, as the spindle is double ended and there's a wheel and a bolt on each end). I suspect it's a taper, and I simply haven't gotten sufficiently "industrial" with it yet. I don't even know if the bolts have left or right hand threads.

I suppose applying standard oilfield procedures might help - a 48" pipe wrench and a lump hammer. That'll make the wheels ring...

Ian

Alistair Hosie
08-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Johns latest DVD's are brilliant he and gert do some Dolly Gertrude Parton and Johnny Stevenson Cash songs on the second half oh there's a bit on engineering too.Alistair