PDA

View Full Version : Rust Belt

Jack772
09-04-2008, 08:41 PM
I live in So. Florida and close to the ocean. I have a big problem with rust and corrosion. My lathe ways and my mill table have what looks like a brown stain, not rust though.
I am using Remington gun oil spray and a lot of it too.
What can I use that is better than the oil I am now using?
Thanks,
Jack

smiller6912
09-04-2008, 08:51 PM
A good quality way oil, like Mobil Vactra #2.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=505-1987&PMPXNO=945479

Scishopguy
09-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Jack...I have the same problem here in the big bend (Tallahassee) and found that a couple of coats of paste wax kept the table on my table saw from rusting. Should work on a mill table just fine. As smiller said, way oil is best for the lathe.

wierdscience
09-05-2008, 01:05 PM
I live not far from the Gulf and rust is a problem here too.I have used paste wax and automotive wax.Nufinish car wax has been the best so far.

I have found that since most mfgs don't put much paint on the undersides of castings(especially wood working tools) there isn't enough paint to seal the castings.

As an experiment I coated the bottom of my tablesaw castings with a coat or two of car wax.The result was a much longer time between coats,like evey six months instead of every two.

planeman
09-05-2008, 01:06 PM
I live in Atlanta and the summer humidity is stifling. Maybe not the salt air conditions along the coast but still sweltering. My solution is an air conditioned shop (that ought to get the eco-nuts going) and a liberal application of WD-40 over then entire machine. I leave it on overnight so the carrier will evaporate and the WD-40 solution has time to seep into the pores of the metal. I then wipe it off with a paper towel or blow it off with compressed air.

My 7 in. Maximat lathe and mill along with other shop equipment treated this way have had no problem with rust in twenty years. I do this procedure about once or twice a year. I have never had to remove any rust from any of these tools though I have had to clean up some brought in from other places.

Planeman

lane
09-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Welcome to the deep south.. Down here you just have to learn to live with it. Most machines take on a brown hew over time . Just keep them oiled they will still work.Besides shinny is for women. Us men need to be a little dull.

kf2qd
09-05-2008, 09:59 PM
There is more salt in the air in Florida than you might realize. That's why airplanes that have been registerred in Florida didn't bring a very high price. You might also try one of the silicone sprays, tho some woodworkers don't like using silicone spray because it can have some effect on later finishing of wood projects.

smiller6912
09-05-2008, 10:10 PM
I would also be careful doing any painting in the area where you have been using silicone. Some paints are very sensitive to it.