X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aostling
    • Feb 2006

Scottish Navy

I took this photo in Portpatrick Harbour, Scotland, in 2006. I believe these are rescue craft -- it looks like they can take any sort of wave without capsize. I'm wondering if these were made in UK, perhaps a remaining remnant of the once-thriving shipbuilding industry on the Clyde.

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona
  • oldtiffie
    • Nov 1999

Patrol Boats?

Allan,
    given the "P" pre-fix on the ship/vessel number (on the top of the Bridge) I'd guess that these are ("In-shore?") Patrol Boats.

DastardlyDick will know - for sure.

Here ya go!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Charger_(P292)

Comment

• DickDastardly40
      • Jul 2007

Further to the link Mick posted:

Whilst they may look self righting and good sea keepers, I'm afraid it's all show and no go!

They are used for navigation and general training of officer cadets at university and are based around the country (Hull, Newcastle etc). They are well liked by the small permanent crew due to the routines they work.

Some built by Alisa in the western isles, but most built on the south coast by Watercraft (now defunct) and Vosper Thornycroft.

More info if interested on request.

Al

Comment

• derekm
        • Apr 2008

Fisheries protection and Customs work.

If you go sailing off the U.K. coast of the its not uncommon to get your identity checked by one of these.

The UK does not have an equivalent to the U.S. Coastguard.

Comment

• oldtiffie
          • Nov 1999

What a revelation

Thanks Al.

That is a very good Wikipedia article.

I did a double take when I saw the pics in Allan's post as I thought they were some of ours (OZ Navy - RAN) - particularly the bridge super-structure.

Then I did another one when I saw the link I posted and again when I saw your link.

I just did not realise that our "unique" design was a straight pinch from the RN - again!! I am a great fan of the RN "Whitby", "County" and "Leander" class ships - and their capabilities and ships companies. They were fabulous in the Far East when I was there. Only things better were the RN Submarines - they "topped" everything and everybody else. We had RN CO's on our "O" and "Collins" Class submarines as they were frighteningly good and very lethal!!

Some of our Patrol Boats - (sort of "Ocean-going") did not live up to the hype, sea-keeping, reliability and intended tasks and were quietly "shelved" and others built - with more hype and the same results!! They were a "cash cow" for the Dockyards and we had some very pi$$ed-off sailors!! (Sound familiar?).

Some of ours rolled on wet grass - the rest on dry!!.

Comment

• DickDastardly40
            • Jul 2007

The P2000 aren't used for fishery protection as they do not have the crew or boarding capapcity or stamina to conduct inspections. In English waters under the juristiction of MAFF it is done by 3 specially contracted vessels to the Royal Navy (the river class) and on occcasion Hunt class minesweepers on roulement to the fishery protection squadron.

In Scottish waters it is done by vessels contracted by the Scottish assembly.

The UK customs do have a couple of patrol vessels but as mentioned no 'Coastguard' a la the US equivalent.

Al

Comment

• derekm
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by DickDastardly40
              The P2000 aren't used for fishery protection as they do not have the crew or boarding capapcity or stamina to conduct inspections. In English waters under the juristiction of MAFF it is done by 3 specially contracted vessels to the Royal Navy (the river class) and on occcasion Hunt class minesweepers on roulement to the fishery protection squadron.

In Scottish waters it is done by vessels contracted by the Scottish assembly.

The UK customs do have a couple of patrol vessels but as mentioned no 'Coastguard' a la the US equivalent.

Al
              The fishery protection was a bit of a punt but I have one of these come up on my stern a few times (e.g. off the Lizard, Prawle point etc...) to get close enough to read my yacht name, then turn away. I had to restrain my crew from mooning at one these as their sense of humour might of extended to a boarding and search

Comment

• BobWarfield
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by DickDastardly40
                They are used for navigation and general training of officer cadets at university and are based around the country (Hull, Newcastle etc). l
                General training of officer cadets? Ah! No wonder the craft's identification is printed so those on the fly bridge can read it when they forget what they're sailing.

Cheers,

BW
                ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

• sconisbee
                  • Aug 2006

seen a few of these about down here, nice enough, but give me a loyal class any day of the week they will take any pounding the sea will give them, rather slow tho. currently working on a private refit of loyal chancellor which one of these archer class replaced a few years back.

Comment

• topct
                    • Jan 2004

I served in the US Coast Guard. Those look like they might be a very usable boat. Depends.

They look pretty nice to me.

Are they twin screw?
                    Gene

Comment

• sconisbee
                      • Aug 2006

yes they run on twin rolls royce eagle engines, and top out at 25 knots i believe

Comment

• boslab
                        • Dec 2007

the navy usually sorts out illegal trawlers with trident class nucliear submarines [on exercises], the trawlers just dissapear, weve caught a big one here was the last radio message!

Comment

• gearedloco
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by topct
                          I served in the US Coast Guard. Those look like they might be a very usable boat. Depends.
                          I did also, '60 to '64. ET-2. They look kind of top-heavy to me. I bet they roll something fierce.

They look pretty nice to me.
                          They kind of remind me of the "new" 47(?) footers. When I was in, the 82' patrol boats were just being commissioned. I was somewhat shocked to discover that the Sea Scout base in Stockton, CA (where I keep my sailboat) has one of them, obviously off-cast by the CG . OTOH - I guess they are getting a bit, umm, elderly.

They've also got one of the old 125 footers - the Morris IIRC. Now that's "elderly"!

Are they twin screw?
                          Yes, according to one of the links.

-bill

Comment

• aostling
                            • Feb 2006

Here's another view. Nice thing about mooring at Scottish harbours is you're never far from a local pub. This is a crop from a Canon G7.

Last edited by aostling; 09-11-2008, 01:45 AM.
                            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• jr45acp
                              • Sep 2002

Another former US Coastie here! 68-72. I had an opportunity to ride one of the 44ft self righting self bailing motor life boats. And, yes it did exactly what it was supposed to.

I too agree those appear to be top heavy. I served on the, I believe, last steam powered buoy tender, the Magnolia out of Yerba Buena Island in the SF area. Oh yea, I wasn't anything special, just a slick arm E -6 Corpsman.
                              Last edited by jr45acp; 09-11-2008, 09:09 AM.
                              John B

Comment

Working...
                              X