• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotate
    • May 2004

Grinding wheel loaded with aluminum

Hi,

I was adjusting the tool rest on the grinder when it accidentally touched the wheel while it was spinning down. The tool rest is made of aluminum and my brand new wheel is loaded with aluminum.

How do I remove the aluminum from the wheel? I've tried using the dressing wheel, but it didn't do much. Perhaps I need to go at it aggressively? Can I soak it in phosphoric acid and dissolve it or will this compromise the integrity of the wheel?
  • spope14
    • Dec 2001

Norbide stick, spur dresser, diamond dresser. All should work well. I have these small diamond dressers on a block that slides on the tool rest and is trued by the back of the rest if I wish.

Check MSC for these.
    CCBW, MAH

Comment

• miker
      • Jul 2004

Rotate, what spope14 said. Here is a little more info. If you are going to grind HSS tools ditch the grey wheels as per article. The grey wheels are OK for garden tools and such.

You would normally Dress with the Diamond Dresser and then re open up the grains with the Dressing Stick. In otherwords they are to be used to complement each other not one instead of the other.

Rgds
      Michael

Australia

Comment

Working...
      X