PDA

View Full Version : Mig machine troubles...you got?

torker
09-14-2008, 10:59 AM
I had to throw this one in..
I got hired to go to a heavy equipment repair shop to weld a bunch of ice lugs on a D-65 Komatsu crawler.
Was told I didn't need to bring my welder as they had one right there I could use.
Oh boy!!! Thing was bloody near unusable. One second it would go into spray transfer mode...sorta...then into globular transfer and back. WTH!!!!
I looked inside the feeder(Miller suitcase)....tried to turn the wire spool...like I thought it was nearly impossible to turn. The tensioner fiber discs where so dry they squeaked. The tensioning spring was cranked up so hard the spool would hardly move. This causes the drive motor to overheat and the feed rate keeps changing.
Good! Take the thing all apart and clean it...use some dry lube on the fiber washers...now it turns.
Next...the liner for the whip...by the overall look of this feeder...there is no way anyone has cleaned out the liner in a long time.
When using the serated rollers needed for dual shield fluxcore there is always little chips coming off the wire....these make their way into the liner and bugger the feed.
Take the liner out and whack it on the floor a couple of times then blow it out both ways with compressed air....WOW...a big cloud of dust comes out!
Then look at the contact tip...sure enough someone was using 1/16" tips for .045 wire. Find the correct tips and try the welder again.
Well holy smoke...the welder works fine! These guys had been struggling with this thing for about 2 years. They actually gave up on it and only used it as a stick machine.
Just a few minutes maintenance every week or so would have saved the two hours I spent trying to make this thing work.
I can just imagine what the rest of the machine looks like. Years of grinding dust sucked into the thing and never cleaned out. The welder repair shops must love guys like these.
Russ

dp
09-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Great information, bud. Keep this stuff coming.

macona
09-14-2008, 10:15 PM
I have seen so much of that stuff I have forgotten most of it. Three mig wires shoved down the same liner (They thought they could just start a new roll without pulling out what was left), Wrong drive rolls, Wrong tips (Not even the right brand style), Wired wrong (240 machine. One hot to L1, Ground to L2 and other hot to ground.)

Then there is the other stupid stuff. Bucket from a cat dropped on 650 amp miller wire feed machine, ESP-200, 200 Amp plasma supply comes into shop on its side needing almost all new sheet metal. Hypertherm 4400 400 amp plasma supply needing new back, side top, and rear power box. Held together with duct tape. Engine drives dropped off the back of trucks, track burners with guide wheels snapped off.

lane
09-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Sounds like they hired you to fix their welder . Hope you charged extra for that.

torker
09-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Sounds like they hired you to fix their welder . Hope you charged extra for that.
Oh ya...they will pay. They hired me at MY shop rate...the only way I would do the job. It was their idea to use their stuff.
I still have another half day there yet. We'll have to see what other gremlins pop up when I start pushing the machine hard. I want out of that dinjy lil' shop asap.
macona..I bet you wish you could clean out the innards of this welder :D
I bet it's full of that nice black coal dust!

macona
09-15-2008, 05:37 AM
You should have seen some of the machine that came out of one of the steel mills here. There would be 3/4" thick of this crud that caked HARD. A total mess to clean out.

But dust really dosnt do much to a machine. If it caked up on the heatsink it might effect the duty cycle a but but other than that the welder couldnt care less.

davidh
09-15-2008, 06:32 AM
I have seen so much of that stuff I have forgotten most of it. Three mig wires shoved down the same liner (They thought they could just start a new roll without pulling out what was left), Wrong drive rolls, Wrong tips (Not even the right brand style), Wired wrong (240 machine. One hot to L1, Ground to L2 and other hot to ground.)

Then there is the other stupid stuff. Bucket from a cat dropped on 650 amp miller wire feed machine, ESP-200, 200 Amp plasma supply comes into shop on its side needing almost all new sheet metal. Hypertherm 4400 400 amp plasma supply needing new back, side top, and rear power box. Held together with duct tape. Engine drives dropped off the back of trucks, track burners with guide wheels snapped off.

well the saying goes, "ya can;t fix stupid"

macona
09-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Cant fix it, but boy did I charge for it. I had a special "Idiot" fee... ;)

wierdscience
09-21-2008, 12:04 PM
You know the little lube and clean muffs that pin on the wire?

I found one machine at work that quit feeding had the dried our inards of one stuffed in the feed rolls and drive.Took it all apart,used an icepick to shove the crud out of the guide hole and pitched the muffs in the trash problem solved.

Wirecutter
10-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Well, Torker. As a relative welding novice, I'd just like to thank you for the info on things to look out for.... I also hate to see mistreated children, animals, or tools.

-Mark