X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickeyD
    • Jun 2004

Nominations for Perfect Home Shop Manual Lathe

Well, we have been beating ourselves up a lot lately over politics, healthcare, and other things that we really have little control over. I figure that now is a good time to start a good barroom brawl over which lathe is the best manual home shop machine. I doubt that a consensus can be reached, but at least it will be fun and nobody will lose an eye.

I am going to start by nominating the Clausing Colchester Triumph 2000 15x50 for the following reasons:

- Threads inch, metric, module, and diametral threads without fishing around for change gears.
    - 7.5 HP so you have enough power to get aggressive if you want.
    - A brake that works.
    - 25 to 2000 rpm spindle speeds with a common camlock spindle.
    - Heavy enough to make parting simple.
    - 2.125 inch spindle bore.
  • lazlo
    • Jun 2006

Mike, that's a big freakin lathe: 2900 lbs in bare stockings -- way bigger than most people would call a home shop lathe. It's also a gearhead

I'd vote for the Clausing 5914:

12x36 (1250 lbs)
    2 HP
    Belt driven (smooth!)
    Infinitely variable speed
    25 - 2200 RPM
    Spindle clutch/brake
    L00 spindle
    5C through spindle
    Hardened ways
    Last edited by lazlo; 09-16-2008, 10:10 PM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• kf2qd
      • Apr 2007

Get a real lathe-

Since it sounds like this is a a fantasy thread -

My favorite lathe would have to be a Leblond Regal. A 13 incher would be just about perfect for a home shop. Controls are always right where your hands are and they are just a joy to run. Old cast bed & ways or newer with hardened ways. Clausings are just clunky in comparison. (Ran several of them also...)

Second on my list would be the 10" South Bend lathes that I used when I was in college. They were made sometime in the early 1980's, High & Low range with a belt type variable speed. Almost as sweet to run as a LeBlond.

Comment

• lazlo
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by kf2qd
        Second on my list would be the 10" South Bend lathes that I used when I was in college. They were made sometime in the early 1980's, High & Low range with a belt type variable speed.
        Was that the South Bend Turnado? Wasn't that actually made by Nardini and rebranded by South Bend?
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• drof34
          • Apr 2004

My vote is for a Monarch 10 EE (10X20 nominal) at 3200lbs.

Comment

• BobWarfield
            • Nov 2005

Mori Seiki MS-850. Amazing accuracy coupled with large capacity of a 17" swing and 2" spindle hole, yet fairly compact for that with 30" between centers.

Parts are still readily available and there are clones still being made in South Korea that are quite good.

Built like a battleship and weighing in at 4100lbs.

Here is a typical example:

Cheers,

BW
            ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
            Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
            http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

• MickeyD
              • Jun 2004

A friend of mine has the same Mori and loves it, other than he has used my Colchester when he needed more room between centers. Other than the complicated drive systems in both the Monarch and the Clausing, those are great lathes, but with a little work you can get around those issues.

Comment

• Evan
                • May 2003

The perfect lathe is the one you have since it beats no lathe.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• dp
                  • Mar 2005

I think one of the Grizzly gunsmith lathes would be find for my purposes. But the question should probably be expanded to include if the user intends to feed the family with earnings from the lathe or to support a hobby.

To be honest, I think the "manual" requirement pretty much says hobby but you never know.

Comment

• miker
                    • Jul 2004

This one...

Because it's mine

Rgds
                    Michael

Australia

Comment

• J Tiers
                      • Jan 2004

Who wants a 17" machine.... hardly general, and it sure won't do smaller work.....

Here's a biggish piece, but large as it is, I'd not want to do it on your 17" machine

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• torker
                        • Dec 2003

It really depends on what you do in your home shop...some of the bling bling lathes mentioned would be a waste in a lot of homeshops....therefore.. I vote for the best beginneer and most fun for the buck lathe...the ol' SB9..I've owned 4 and would buy one again anyday.
                        Russ
                        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

• macona
                          • Aug 2006

10EE! 10" Lathe, really swings 12.5". High speed spindle 2500 to 4000 RPM depending on vintage so it good for little stuff to big. Fully variable speed with a 5:1 back gear mounted on the motor so very little noise is transmitted to the spindle. Wide range of threads, power carriage and cross feeds, hardened leads screws, almost always come with a taper attach. Hardened Bed with auto lube in the apron. Built in tach.

And you can usually pick one up for what a lot of people pay for a SB 9A.

Jerry, is that a spool out of a valve?

Comment

• rdfeil
                            • Nov 2007

J Tiers,

I hate to disagree but you are so wrong.... I have a 17 inch LeBlond Regal (Yea thats my vote to keep on topic ) sliding gap that allows 36 inch swing and I routinely turn things much smaller than your example. I regularly single point thread #4 and #6. I will agree a smaller machine might make this easier but small parts can be made with a large lathe but large parts cannot be made on a small lathe.

Robin
                            Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

• dan s
                              • Dec 2006

I second

Originally posted by macona
                              10EE! 10" Lathe, really swings 12.5". High speed spindle 2500 to 4000 RPM depending on vintage so it good for little stuff to big.
                              -Dan S.
                              dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Working...
                              X