PDA

View Full Version : OT Opening new to me computer

d kirby
09-21-2008, 05:55 PM
On Saturday I went to a machinery and office repo. auction. I wasn't able to get the machine I was wanting, but bought a computer setup that I was hoping to use in the shop.
Today at home I fired it up and everything seems to work, but the previous owner has the programs password protected. Is there a way to use this computer without the password?

Computer has Windows XP Professional on it.
The tower is a Daewoo.
I would like to be able to use the internet and load my Machinery Handbook program on this unit.
I am pretty much computer illiterate, so any help, if there is any, will have to be explained to me in simple basics.
Thanks Dave

macona
09-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Is there a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity on the box somewhere? If so that is all you need to reinstall the OS. Well, that and a copy of a installer disk.

cuemaker
09-21-2008, 09:26 PM
There are lots of things you could do, but hard to explain to someone who isnt to savvy with puters.....

Simplest is to reinstall an operating system... If you happen to have an old windows disk with the key that isnt being used, it would be easier to wipe the current hard drive and do a fresh install.

garyphansen
09-21-2008, 09:36 PM
You can down load a FREE OS that works better than Windows and did I say free. Gary P. Hansen

darryl
09-21-2008, 09:42 PM
It might be best to have someone come over who is c-literate and guide you through things. So much is easy when you know how, but so difficult if you don't. You can't just push a button and see what it does, and one mistaken push can set you back hours from getting it up and running properly. There's a lot you can do (or at least there used to be) during an instal to eliminate unwanted cra-, and to ensure that you get loaded what you want and need, without having to live with click this away, click that away, etc. I had to take my new xp box back to the dealer, who actually installed the os, to get it right. He had to re-instal the os all over again, and he should have been one to know what he was doing.

macona
09-21-2008, 09:48 PM
You can down load a FREE OS that works better than Windows and did I say free. Gary P. Hansen

No, Mac OS is about $100... ;)

But seriously, Linux is the last thing a computer illiterate person would want on their computer.

darryl is right, take it to a pro. The install is easy. Tracking down all the extra drivers is going to take time.

There are ways to recover the password, but I have never done it.

d kirby
09-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks to everyone for there suggestions. There was not any O.S. discs that came with the computer, just the tower,keyboard and monitor. I guess my next trip to town involves looking for a computer repair man.

Thanks, Dave

J Tiers
09-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Check to be sure there isn't a "recovery" disk section.

Sometimes these days the re-install is actually in a disk partition, meaning that it is on the hard disk. HP does that, and I think others do also. Dunno about Daewoo ( I thought they made pianos?)

If it has that, you can return the unit to "as-supplied" condition by telling it to re-install everything. The help file that is probably on the computer should tell you how to do that.

If you do that, you will usually lose any programs that were not on it to begin with, and of course pretty much all data. But, if there are programs on the machine now that didn't come with it, you are not actually authorized to run them, so......... And obviously the previous owner's data should be dumped if it is still on there.

Dr. Rob
09-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Do so.

Had the same dilemma. Gave it to a programmer friend o'mine who wrote and ran a password-cracking program for me.

Took ten minutes.

d kirby
09-22-2008, 12:15 AM
J Tiers I can't seem to get past the first page that pops up asking for the password. There is nothing else on the page to go to such as the help section.
A window comes up telling me to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to begin, it then shows a log in window with the user name and then the password is asked for. There is nothing else to go to.
Dave

gmatov
09-22-2008, 02:03 AM
If you can't just hit the OK key and get into Windows, it is secured. Not SECURED, easy to get around but you are going to get Evan or someone else familiar with DOS to delete your PWD file.

XP, I think you said, and ezen if you have a floppy drive to boot DOS, I doubt that XP can be installed from DOS. Win 2k cannot, so doubt that XP, next gen could.

Cheers,

George

Do you HAVE a floppy drive? You may be able to open the probably D drive where the install files are..
I don't know XP or Vista, they may install without wiping your installed programs and files. They may not. 98 SE doesn't destroy data, 2k does not, XP and Vista may.
I have an XP disk, never installed, 2 actually, and a new Vista Computer, rarely used. I like the 2k computer in front of me at the moment, which has been here for at least 5 years.

Evan
09-22-2008, 02:38 AM
Most people that password protect XP don't realize that there is a hidden administrator account on XP Pro. Start the computer and while it is starting tap the F8 key. When it comes up with a black and white menu on the screen use the arrow keys to move the focus to the "Start in safe mode" setting and press enter.

A lot of trash talk will fill the screen and the computer will take a long time to start. It will eventually come up to a screen that asks you to log on with an account user name. Enter "administrator" and no password, then press enter or click the OK. The default for the admin account is no password.

If the computer continues to start up it will be slow and will come up with a basic XP starting screen. Go into control panel and select Users. Change the password on the previous owner's account to something you remember or just remove the password. Then restart the machine.

d kirby
09-22-2008, 06:49 AM
Evan, I tried tapping the f8 key at start up, but the screen goes right to Welcome to Windows and says to Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete keys to begin, which then takes me to a window asking for the password.
I tried hitting the f8 key at various stages of start up but it still takes me to Welcome to Windows.
Dave

biometrics
09-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Since you can't use the computer as it is, you can't do it any harm by attempting to break the password security since you are going to have to reformat the drive and start over. Use another computer to access the internet and do a google search for cracking or hacking windows xp passwords. You should find several sites that will have downloads that you install on a CD. You boot the CD instead of the hard drive and the CD program will allow you to install an ADMIN level password and then you can log in as the ADMIN and change whatever you want. If you are apprehensive about doing this kind of thing, then just take it to Best Buy or Circuit City... explain your situation and tell them you want the OS reloaded. There should be a Windows Certificate of Authenticity on the computer case which will have the code to reinstall the OS. The cost should be less than $100 maybe even much less... if that is too much, find a computer geek teenager in your family to fix you up....

lazlo
09-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Is there a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity on the box somewhere? If so that is all you need to reinstall the OS. Well, that and a copy of a installer disk.

To be strictly legal, you need the certificate of authenticity, but that's not really necessary.

Once you log-in to the Windows OS, you can print-out the Windows Product ID and the Licence Key with a keyfinder like this SourceForge Program:

http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

With that Product ID and License Key, you can reinstall the OS with any install disk.

Evan
09-22-2008, 09:45 AM
A few questions. Is this a desk top or a lap top? Are you sure it has XP Pro and not Windows 2000 (how do you know)? How old is the machine?

lazlo
09-22-2008, 09:55 AM
A few questions. Is this a desk top or a lap top?

He said it's an Daewoo tower case system that he got from an office repo.

Evan
09-22-2008, 10:41 AM
It's probably Win 2K in that case. No hidden admin account. However, the SAM can be fiddled with a Linux boot disk and the password reset.

lazlo
09-22-2008, 10:44 AM
the SAM can be fiddled with a Linux boot disk and the password reset.

Agreed. There are several Linux password cracking floppies you can download all pre-configured (for exactly this purpose).

"John the Ripper" is one of the better ones:

http://www.openwall.com/john/e/john171w.zip

d kirby
09-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi fellows, just got back from picking up a few things i bought at the auction.
Here is some more info. When I start the machine up it says Windows XP Professional,it is in a Daewoo tower serial# ct6720-c17. It looks like there was a certificate of authenticity, but all that is left of the sticker is the bottom part saying Microsoft.

I do not really need to change anything with the programs, I would like to set this computer up in my shop to be able to get on the internet and load my Machinery Handbook, the one that is on my home computer.
I am on dial-up at home and was told that I could use my account to set up a computer at the shop without having to pay for another account. That was why I decided to bid on the computer. It came with the tower, a flat screen monitor, speakers and keyboard for $45.00, and now my education in computers has begun. I thank you all for your help. I am going to try to break the password with a downloaded program. Is that the right approach?
Right now I only have $45.00 invested, so I am not worried about me screwing things up so bad that is unusable.
Dave

ecortech
09-22-2008, 12:47 PM
You may be be able to log into the admin account without going into safe mode. Try using administrator as username with blank password, if it works you will then be able to change or remove user accounts and passwords.

Ed

d kirby
09-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Ed, I should have mentioned that I tried that after Evan suggested hitting the f8 key. It shows a Logon message telling me that the system could not log me on.

Now I need some help in picking the right program from John the Ripper. How do I determine which is the one that I need, there are quite a few listed. I forewarned you guys that I am pretty inept when it comes to anything to do with these computers, but hopefully with a little guidance I will get much better.
Thanks again
Dave

Evan
09-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Use this one:

http://www.openwall.com/john/f/john171w.zip

You will need a fresh floppy disk which will be completely erased and rewritten as a special boot disk.

The machine then must be rebooted using the boot floppy.

The documentation is here:

http://www.openwall.com/john/doc/

lazlo
09-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Use this one:

http://www.openwall.com/john/f/john171w.zip

Evan, that's "John the Ripper" that I posted on page 2: :rolleyes:

There are several Linux password cracking floppies you can download all pre-configured (for exactly this purpose).

ecortech
09-22-2008, 04:14 PM
http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/
Here's another that is very easy to use just make a bootdisk, cd or floppy. reboot to floppy or cd and reset password, and your back in business.

BillH
09-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Theres a certain linux based boot disk that cracks the XP password

lazlo
09-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Theres a certain linux based boot disk that cracks the XP password

Yes, "John the Ripper", which has been posted twice so far :)

There are several Linux password cracking floppies you can download all pre-configured (for exactly this purpose).

d kirby
09-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Ok fellows, I am trying to download the files and that is why I have not posted any results yet. I took a night school course when I first bought my computer so I am searching back to understand how to download and move the files, typing with one finger has not helped either.
Thanks for all the help so far. I am a mechanic by trade and a wannabe machinists, but damn this computer stuff has a habit sometimes of making me feel real inadequate.
Dave

vinito
09-22-2008, 06:01 PM
But seriously, Linux is the last thing a computer illiterate person would want on their computer.

That was certainly true in the past, but the newer versions (Ubuntu) installs easier, runs faster, and doesn't have all the garbage you have to turn off to stop popups from wasting your time. I like it tons better than winblows. I keep a laptop with XP around for some XP programs that I need, but for just internet stuff, documents, picture editing and the like, Linux comes packaged with the whole mess and it is much less hassle than Windows. And it's free. And so is a ton of software that you can load directly from the OS - no install wizards & multiple clicking to deal with.

I suppose hardware drivers could be an issue, however when I loaded Linux, it booted up the first time with everything working right, which includes a camera I bought the week before down to a scanner from 6 years ago. It all just worked. I'm seldom lucky so I suspect that's not uncommon.

I guess what I'm saying is even if the guy breaks through the passord, he might be happier with Linux anyways. You can burn a CD from the downloaded ISO image and give it a test drive (boot from the CD) without altering anything on the hard drive.

BillH
09-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Yes, "John the Ripper", which has been posted twice so far :)
Helps if I read the entire thread before posting :)

NickH
09-22-2008, 07:14 PM
If after hitting F8 you are not getting a list of boot options including Safe Mode and Command Prompt only you are hitting F8 too late and missing the options, new PCs start very quickly.
Try hitting F8 twice per second from power on, cancelling any unwanted options,
Regards,
Nick

PHiers
09-22-2008, 08:49 PM
You might want to try the delete key instead of F8. Works with some bios.
You start the computer and just keep hitting the delete key until the menu comes up.

d kirby
09-22-2008, 10:18 PM
We have some success, PHeirs, I tried the delete button and we are in.
NickH you were probably right about not being fast enough, but I did hit f8 at various intervals.

Anyway at the top of the page it reads AMIBIOS SIMPLE SETUP UTILITY VERSION 1.21.06. I see there is a Change Password column, I assume this is where I go.
Dave

Evan
09-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Evan, that's "John the Ripper" that I posted on page 2

Why yes it is.
So why did I post it?

Now I need some help in picking the right program from John the Ripper. How do I determine which is the one that I need, there are quite a few listed. I

Evan
09-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Anyway at the top of the page it reads AMIBIOS SIMPLE SETUP UTILITY VERSION 1.21.06. I see there is a Change Password column, I assume this is where I go.

Don't mess around in there. That has nothing to do with Windows or logon passwords. That is the motherboard setup menu. If you change the wrong items you can either lock yourself out entirely or even prevent the computer from starting at all. Just press the reset button to get out of that menu.

d kirby
09-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Ok, I didn't change anything. I am at the Exit do I just hit f10 that says Save and Exit

Evan
09-23-2008, 12:03 AM
I assume you did that, which is fine. You should try the password reset disk that Lazlo recommended. Read the documentation first.

d kirby
09-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Well, finally something comes up that you all were talking about.

Windows Advanced Options Menu.

Now is your chance to tell me where to go!