PDA

View Full Version : Hypertherm powermax600 discontinued

PTSideshow
09-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Hypertherm powermax600 discontinued, is what I found out today at the local airgas. They have decided to replace it with a new model a powermax45. newer technology and slightly better severance thickness of 1" instead of 7/8" and less input draw with a slightly better output and can run on a lower KW engine driven genset. 8.5 instead of 10kw

They had them on sale, but most locations didn't have one I they found one for me in Ohio and it is on a road trip to here now. they are listed in the circular for $1419.00 plus tax.
so if anybody is thinking about getting a 600powermax better think fast.

The new model is about $200.00 more.

macona
09-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Not surprised. The 600 was getting long in the tooth.

http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Products_and_Services/Manual_Plasma/powermax45.jsp

Looks nice! The new machine is 45 amps vs 40 for the old one. Uses a new torch and they have a new quick disconnect for the torch. Never did like the screw on version. The threads galled up easy and the tabs broke off.

Why didnt you get the new one?

PTSideshow
09-23-2008, 07:18 AM
For my use the $200.00 price increase and the fact that nobody at hypertherm could tell us what the width of the kerf was. And why would it matter they asked. They seem not to really know who is buying all the units. And in the art metal arena width of the kerf is a consideration. The 600 is a good machine, and well proven. The 45 has new technology in it. They haven't used it at the LWS. So any problems haven't showed up if there are any. The 600 has fine cut consumables, and everybody that I Know on forums that has one say that other than operator error. They are almost idiot proof in the operation.

Using it in a home/hobbyist shop. it will out last me more than likely as my MIG,Stick welders look new as they have low hours.
I put the $200.00 towards consumables and other welding supplies I needed.
:D

macona
09-23-2008, 08:57 AM
It looks like the closest thing to fine cut consumables is using the 30 amp consumables from the powermax30 in it. If thats the case then it will have a pretty small kerf, but I have never ran the fine cut ones to compare.