PDA

View Full Version : Don't look at this

Evan
07-19-2003, 02:48 AM
http://www.homestead.com/tool20895/CABIN1.html

Warning, lots of graphics, slow to load on dialup, but worth it.

I can see that I have a lot of room for improvement.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 07-19-2003).]

crossthreaded
07-19-2003, 04:54 AM
Beautiful! Also daunting, to gauge how much smarts & drive they represent compared to what I manage to accomplish. Thanks.

dnsbss
07-19-2003, 05:33 AM
Wish I had that much spare time!!!

Paul Gauthier
07-19-2003, 08:45 AM
Have you no shame??? To expose us ordinary machinist's to such extrordinary work. Things that we can only admire from afar. Now I am so depressed.

I hope my Gatling Gun looks half as good as the one in the photo, if I every get to finish it.

takes a lot of patience to work like that.

------------------
Paul G.

wierdscience
07-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Nice work,did you get the gattling gun plans from the back of HSM?If you did do they have provisons for an electric motor and belt feed? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

DR
07-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Wow, that's some nice work.

I saw the small Levin turret lathe. About $20K last time I looked!!!!

I don't follow the model making shows and such, but I have a question. Is everyone judged on the same basis? I mean, does the guy with the high dollar Levin compete against the guys with Sherlines and Taigs?

bdarin
07-19-2003, 11:05 PM
I think you're judged on the quality of your work, not on how much you spent on the tools to make it.

Sprocket
07-20-2003, 12:42 AM
DR if you were looking at the same turret lathe I was, it IS the model. That is a scale model of a Hardinge lathe. I met William Huxhold (who built the lathe) at the American Precision Museum show here in VT. He is quite a showman as he turns out the little goblets, (or last year, Christmas trees)
He has another lathe, same size, not turret, and some other tools. Makes the fasteners for his steam engines. Pretty amazing!

Evan
07-20-2003, 01:00 AM
This sets a standard for me. I will try to exceed it. When I do I will post some pictures. Don't hold your breath.

Oso
07-20-2003, 11:40 AM
How big is that lathe model (if it is a model)?

Or I better say "those lathe models" since both the turret and the engine lathe are shown in the pics.

The drill press and X-Y are large, compared to the hand, but there is no scale for the lathe.

Me, I like the tiny 4 cylinder in-line aircraft engine that George Luhrs made. With another set of all tha parts in the case below it! What he used for spark plugs I have no idea. The ones I know about are the size of the pistons. Apparently the engine runs..............

The old 10" Logan I use couldn't even HOLD most of those parts, let alone turn them fast enough to get anywhere.

I shoulda bought the Sherline that was in the paper a week or two ago.

SGW
07-20-2003, 12:21 PM
DR -- on judging, etc. Tne London show is very much a "judging" show, with a very complex set of rules, with the equipment used being taken into account. I guess the various model clubs have booths where memembers show stuff they've done, not entering it into the judging, but main thrust of the show is the judging.

The NAMES show in Detroit began as a very anti-judging show. The idea was just to get together and for everybody to be proud of what they did. Bob Washburne of Strictly I.C. magazine introduced his own contest at the show for model i.c. engines, but it was entirely his own thing. I guess Sherline has their own contest too, but again, it's not directly connected with the show. It's also not very formal, as the winner is whichever model the visitors to the show like best.

I don't know what Cabin Fever does.

At the NAMES show, a few years ago there was a proliferation of people bringing models they had bought and displaying them, sort of basking in what they perceive as the glory of owning a fine model. The NAMES committee has tried to counteract that with a campaign to "be proud of what you build!" as they want to encourage builders, especially beginners, not provide a venue for rich show-offs. I haven't been the past few years, so I don't know the current state of affiars.

Oh -- if you've never been to a show, it's definitely worthwhile go go at least once and see the stuff people do.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 07-20-2003).]

Falcon
07-20-2003, 04:53 PM
HI all. I am a new member.
I would like to know where to get the gatling gun plans.
Paul Gauther, you may be abel to help.
Thanks , Falcon.

alcova
07-20-2003, 05:54 PM
wierd

I'd be cautious about motorizing a gattling gun....that might be concidered a Full-Auto machine gun.

Walt

Falcon
07-20-2003, 06:28 PM
I woudent care if it only fired blanks, and the barrels where pluged. It looks cool. A real convesation pice.

alcova
07-20-2003, 06:43 PM
falcon
Talking to a very reputable gun dealer once, and he told me gattling guns are legal to have and make, but the ATF may dislike motorizing one ( concidered Full-Auto? ) your wanting to make a blank firing one would make things easier, but I would still contact ATF about the motorizing of it if you go that way.
Walt

Doc Nickel
07-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Hand cranked Gatling reproductions are indeed legal.

Motorized/electrically-driven Gatlings are definitely, no-question-about-it considered full-auto machine guns.

Build the gun, have fun making it. But stick a motor on it, go to jail, do not pass go.

Doc.

Falcon
07-20-2003, 07:53 PM
Shoot man i dont even have a layes yet.
And i dont know how to use one yet ether.
So i have a long way to go be fore i make some thing complicated.
I think steam is going to be my first prod.
Do you guyes think the 7x14 in layes by micro marks is a good deal? I am thinking of one of thouse. Any thoughts are welcome.

SGW
07-20-2003, 08:48 PM
A small lathe like the 7x14 will get you going, but if you get serious about it, pretty soon you're almost certainly going to want something better.

Still, one can do amazing things with primitive equipment. Fancy equipment makes it easier/faster, but with sufficient ingenuity one can do incredible work with not very much.

After a while though, the minimalist approach to metalworking can get pretty tedious.

Starting small is a perfectly valid way to get going. This is a long-term hobby. There is an INCREDIBLE amount to learn. Even if you had a $100,000 shop, for the first couple of years you wouldn't be able to make effective use of a lot of the equipment, anyway. You wouldn't know enough or have enough experience. It took me about 15 years of gradual acquistion to get my shop equipped. So if that 7x14 lathe is what you can start with, fine. You'll learn from it, and if the "bug" really bites you, you'll gradually improve your shop and your knowledge.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 07-20-2003).]

Evan
07-20-2003, 09:06 PM
SGW,

I couldn't have said it better.

Randolph
07-20-2003, 10:28 PM
It has taken me nearly 50 years so far to get my shop equipped the way I want it to be and I am still not there even though I make a pretty decent living from it. Gatling gun plans are advertised in most issues of HSM. I was told once that Gatling guns are not considered automatic weapons but are actually (10) single shot weapons. I think there is a fine point about using a modern cartridge like .22 long rifle. The 45-70 cartridge is considered an antique. The pictures of the work shown here make me want to take some of my projects out and bury them quietly in the back yard.

Sprocket
07-21-2003, 12:32 AM
OSO - One of the pictures of the turret lathe has a little goblet ready to be parted off. Mr. Huxhold gave one of those to my wife, which I just measured. It is about 5/8" tall, 5/16" diameter. I think the collet was 3/8". He would turn them out in less than 20 seconds. He said they were models of his full sized equipment. As you might guess, he is a retired machinist.
George Luhrs makes his spark plugs. He explained the process, but I can't remember enough to tell you. Some very expensive, brittle rod to make the bodies...

[This message has been edited by Sprocket (edited 07-20-2003).]

Thrud
07-21-2003, 12:42 AM
Oso:
Dead serious turret lathe by Levin http://www.levinlathe.com/