PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to put gas bottle on its side?

noah katz
10-04-2008, 03:20 PM
My small MIG welder and Ar/CO2 bottle both fit nicely under my workbench if I lay the bottle on its side on top of the welder.

Any reason not to do this?

PTSideshow
10-04-2008, 03:46 PM
No!,only because the valve becomes a bigger target, bottle will tend to move about more. Even if it secured, and should a problem develop with the bottle/valve it will be easier to take off sideways. Also the gauge will be a bigger target, for things dropped off the bench, no matter how far back from the edge. and for hitting it with stuff moving it in front of the bench.

And finally it is not recommended to use compressed gas tanks on their sides as it is easier for any curd inside the tank to migrate up to the neck and get blow or carried into the gauge causing problems.

If the shelf you were going to put it on is wood can you cut a hole in it and stand the bottle up right?

noah katz
10-04-2008, 04:26 PM
No shelf, on the floor under my workbench.

The neck is still half a diameter from the bottom, so I don't see crud being a problem.

I'm willing to risk things falling on it, which is extremely unlikely given that it's got the benchtop above it.

davidh
10-04-2008, 04:46 PM
so if your asking, you got a great answer alreaady. and from me, i will ditto it. these things are dangerous as hell. . . .

macona
10-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Small bottle is probably no big deal. But I am not entirely sure if the CO2 in 75/25 is liquid or gas.

If your worried about the valve you can always get one of these:

http://www.americap-mfg.com/

noah katz
10-04-2008, 10:24 PM
If I get a cap (thanks for the link), would that address your guys' concerns?

I'm pretty sure it's still gaseous at that high pressure, but I could tilt the bottle up 15 deg or so.

macona
10-05-2008, 03:42 AM
A CO2 Bottle with liquid is around 750 PSI. Should be OK though.

ahidley
10-06-2008, 08:45 AM
The bottle will spit liquid out untill its half empty(not half empty of pressure but half of liquid). You wont know it because the CO2 will change from liquid to gas right after the regulator or flow meter. The end result is: It will work but you'll waste alot untill its all gas half way in the bottle.

torker
10-06-2008, 08:54 AM
FWIW...We use CO2 to freeze press in collars and bushings etc.
Using a cradle...invert the bottle and liquid DOES come out...into the freeze box.
ahidely is correct.
A lot of welding rigs today have the O2 bottles laying down. I've many times used 75/25 Argon or pure Argon bottles on their side as well....when using an impromtu setup in the field or whatever. You are not SUPPOSED to do this however.
Russ

wierdscience
10-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Instead of standing or laying down,how about an angle in between like 45*?

That works perfectly fine and many new welding truck body's incorporate this feature and they rack acetylene which is a cylinder that is never used laying down flat.