PDA

View Full Version : sparkplugs

u762338
05-20-2001, 12:20 PM
A friend of mine is building an engine and is looking for how to make small spark plugs.
Espacilly the used materials he is intessted in.

------------------
lip

SGW
05-21-2001, 11:24 AM
Strictly IC magazine has had serveral articles about making small spark plugs. There have also been articles in Model Engineer magazine.

I've heard of three main ways of doing it. One is to use a core of alumina tubing to carry the center electrode, covered at the exposed top area by a sheath of some other kind of plastic, maybe Corian, for strength and appearance.
I've also heard of making the whole insulator out of Corian.
And I head of molding the insulator out of epoxy, although I would think it would tend to melt...I don't have a lot of detail on that one.

As far as making the gap: there are the surface-gap fans, and those who try to make a more typical plug with extended center electrode and attached side electrode.

I get the idea that there is a certain amount of experimentation involved in the whole thing....

u762338
05-21-2001, 03:49 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by u762338:
A friend of mine is building an engine and is looking for how to make small spark plugs.
Espacilly the used materials he is intessted in.

</font>

Thanks SGW for your replie about making small spark plugs.
The problem is that I am a Dutchman and can"t get easy these articles which where in the IC MAGAZINE and the model engineer.
Maybe there is someone who can send me some copy about these articles.

P.S
don't look at my writting, I'am doing my best.

Regards
Harold Lippens
Terneuzen,The Netherlands

SGW
05-22-2001, 09:03 AM
You write English a lot better than I write Dutch, or Flemish, or French, or German, or any of the other languages you quite likely have some knowledge of!

Ron LaDow
05-22-2001, 08:57 PM
Harold,
Try www.strictlyic.com (http://www.strictlyic.com)
Or Stictlyic@earthlink.net
Ron LaDow