PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT computer question.

DICKEYBIRD
10-05-2008, 09:12 AM
I use an older (v9.2 Deluxe) of TurboCAD for all my shop drawings. It is a paid for product and am very happy with it for my simple 2D stuff. I have it installed on 3 PC's and a lappie at home and 1 PC at work so I can work on the project du joir whenever I get a spare moment.

Apparently I didn't register it during the original install on my PC in the office at home and it now displays "Days Left to Register - 0" and the program will not run. When I click on Register, I get "Page Not Displayed" so I assume IMSI must have kicked v9.2 off its support list.:(

I tried uninstall/shutdown/reinstall 2 times and got the same problem. I looked around on the TCAD support site this morning with no joy and then a flash of inspiration hit and I changed the year in W2000 to 2006. Voila! all is well again.

Can anyone tell me where I might look in the registry to clear out or change the original TCAD install date so I can keep the PC's date correct?

kf2qd
10-05-2008, 09:20 AM
You might try resetting the date on your PC back to when you installed ithe program - some are "fixed" by doing that - as long as the date on the computer is within the range the program is looking for it runs just fine.

DICKEYBIRD
10-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks kf, I did exactly that as mentioned in my post and it worked fine. My hope is that I can delete the original install date in the registry so I can change the PC's date back to normal and TCAD will still run.

oldtiffie
10-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the prompt DickeyBird - very timely advice.

I needed that. I bought a copy of IMSI "DesignCAD" 3DMax v18 quite some months ago to install when I was "into" getting ready to retro-fit CNC to my new SeigX3 mill. It stalled there as I was waiting (still am!!) for the CNC kit.

The CAD is still in the box and not installed and the mill is sitting on a hoist/table still in its original preservative in my shop.

I was in the shop today and thought about cleaning up the mill and giving it a test-run - maybe later in the week. But I had clean forgotten the DesignCAD - many thanks. (It was getting more buried under a pile of stuff I need to read and/or "put away" - I sort it out when it falls onto the floor!! Doesn't everyone? Oh - they don't??? Hmmmm.)

DICKEYBIRD
10-05-2008, 10:15 AM
'Tiff I don't think you'll have that problem if you haven't installed the program from the CD yet. My problem is due to me installing the program over a year ago onto the PC and failing to officially register it with IMSI. They apparently give 365 days of use without registering it.

That kinda pi$$es me off since I bought the program and it should be mine to use without giving them my personal info on every PC I use it from. There's likely something in the fine print of the EULA I agreed to during the program install process that covers this issue but who reads them anyway?;)

oldtiffie
10-05-2008, 10:35 AM
There's likely something in the fine print of the EULA I agreed to during the program install process that covers this issue but who reads them anyway?;)

But of course you read that EULA didn't you? Didn't we all when we "clicked" "Agreed" to say so? We're not dumb - or are we?

DICKEYBIRD
10-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Well, a big ol' DUHH! on my part. One of the registration options is "Telephone." I clicked on that, entered my name and product registration code and BadaBing-BadaBoom...Bob's your uncle! :)

oldtiffie
10-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks again DB.

I will put that down for future reference - seriously.

Its all too invisible until some-one points it out and then it glares at you (me anyway).