PDA

View Full Version : Any shareware CAM programs?

Rustybolt
10-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Or any that are reasonably priced? Or a way to enter G code directly into mach 3?
Failing that, any funny anecdotes relating to your homemade CNC machine.

mochinist
10-06-2008, 08:11 PM
I think this is what Evan uses http://www.cambam.co.uk/

Also I thought Mach3 had a simple cam program built in? and couldnt you just fingercam it in with the keyboard?

Bobcad is a commercial one, far from the best and is a major pain in the arse to use, but some guys dont seem to mind and it does have 3d capabilities. They'll start you off with a quote anywhere from 800 to 1200 but I have heard of guys badgering them all the way down to a few hundred.

DICKEYBIRD
10-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Are you needing 3D or just 2 1/2D? If it's not 3D, ACEconverter works well to convert your .dxf's to G-Code. The price is right anyway....it's free.

Evan
10-06-2008, 08:47 PM
I do use CamBam quite a lot but it isn't the only program I use. I use about 6 or so various programs and I heavily depend on either freeware or free reduced function versions such as AlleyCad. I am also getting back into writing my own software and when I finish my current project I may do something related to Cad-Cam. I still have the upgraded version of my Spiral PollyGone CamBam plugin to finish. I have been finding that little program to be very handy in generating symmetrical contour toolpaths.

macona
10-06-2008, 11:47 PM
There is also LazyCam, there is a free version with less features and a pay for Pro version. I think CamBam has gone the same way.