PDA

View Full Version : OT posting point of interest.

Your Old Dog
10-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Whether you like Off Topic posting or not, take a peak at the extreme right hand corner of your screen and note that some of the post with the most views were off topic post?

Maybe we make too much of it as they seem to be read by a lot of people.

ckelloug
10-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Yod,

That's a good point. I know enjoy a lot of the more technical OT's here as people post a lot of interesting stuff. I agree with what others have said that things often get a bit too personal.

I personally don't care what people say to each other but I think it could be off putting to new readers if we all hang out here and belabor points constantly. I know I've belabored a few points; we all have; but I really try now to state my opinion, see if anybody finds it useful, and if not move on.

I only made my second comment about locking the gas can thread because so many of the posters had posted so many threads of substance before that it seemed like a shame to see all that brain power wasted on trifling. The first post I made was just a bad pun in dry humor about a flame war. . . gas -> flame. . .Ha Ha Ha. and so forth.

Regards all,

Cameron

NickH
10-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Oh you'd make a great politician, lots of people participate so it must be a good thing right?

Wrong.

Things which wind people up and elicit a response are not necessarily those which improve their quality of life.

So while some OT threads are a welcome diversion, (I remember a classic on dowsing rods somewhere?:D ) some draw a response because we'd all like to think that the chump will see sense.
Such threads are an embarassment to sane men everywhere.
An instance being where someone starts spouting complete BS & claiming it's God's Honest Truth. We are always then tempted to call them on it because we know the real truth don't we?

Regards,
Nick

Carld
10-08-2008, 05:48 PM
It don't surprise me. I think most of us read the OT's even we don't post to them.