PDA

View Full Version : Buffer/Polisher

Smokedaddy
10-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Any suggestions for a buffer/polisher? I've never owned one or used one. I was looking at the Baldors, man they sure are expensive pups. Anything to look out for?

-SD:

radish1us
10-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Any suggestions for a buffer/polisher? I've never owned one or used one. I was looking at the Baldors, man they sure are expensive pups. Anything to look out for?

-SD:

If you just want to polish smaller items, then any 8 inch bench grinder is powerful enough to polish any metal item.

If you want to do things like a 1970's chrome car bumper bar, then keep looking at Baldors equipment and be ready to fork out the necessary readies.

For the bits to fit the 8 inch grinder, just take look at the evil bay, as there are plenty of bits available.

If you have never used one before, then start doing a google for metal polishing, go for wikipedia, that will start your journey, then keep reading, all will be revealed.

regards radish

smiller6912
10-11-2008, 08:35 PM
I use a lot of the Caswell products and am quite happy with the customer service and info that I get there.
Here is a link to a good place to start..
http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm

wierdscience
10-11-2008, 08:40 PM
With a piece of ground shafting and a couple pillow blocks you can make a buffer mandrel and drive it with a motor via a belt.

I have seen buffers built that way with multiple wheels mounted,each of a different type and compound.

PaulT
10-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I also got sticker shock when pricing a 3/4 HP Baldor buffer with the extended shafts so you can polish large objects, right now I'm watching the online sites to try to find one used.

Jet does make a knock off of the Baldor 3/4 HP model, not that many places sell it but if you search "Jet Buffer" you'll hit it. At around $180. or so its around 1/2 price of the Baldors, but I'm don't know anything about the quality.

Keep in mind for metal you'll want the 3600 rpm one, for plastic the 1800 rpm one.

Paul T.

38_Cal
10-12-2008, 07:41 PM
I also got sticker shock when pricing a 3/4 HP Baldor buffer with the extended shafts so you can polish large objects, right now I'm watching the online sites to try to find one used.

Jet does make a knock off of the Baldor 3/4 HP model, not that many places sell it but if you search "Jet Buffer" you'll hit it. At around $180. or so its around 1/2 price of the Baldors, but I'm don't know anything about the quality.

Keep in mind for metal you'll want the 3600 rpm one, for plastic the 1800 rpm one.

Paul T.

I have a 3/4 hp Baldor, 1725 rpm buffer. Use it for steel frequently, you just have to choose the proper buffs. Most of mine are 8" dia. x 1" to 1.5" wide for gun work. Some jobs I use 10" wheels, some 8" and some 6" to get the best surface speed for the type of work. I also use an 8"x2" Scott Murray sanding drum for a lot of different jobs, including grinding recoil pads on the gunstock. I keep sanding belts from 60 to 600 grit on hand for it.

David
Montezuma, IA

Chainz
10-13-2008, 04:32 PM
The key to buffing, as I found out the hard way is in the compounds, and wheel speeds.

Here's a link (http://www.schaffnermfg.com/buffing-hints.html) of some tips that may help, depending on how "involved" you wanna get with it.

Have fun, Chainz

Smokedaddy
10-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the tips, suggestions and links.

-SD:

RobbieKnobbie
10-13-2008, 09:24 PM
HF has one for 80... here (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40668)

I know, I know, 'YUCK... Harbor Freight!' but it cant be too bad, I mean, it's just a motor with extended shafts!

smiller6912
10-13-2008, 09:56 PM
HF has one for 80... here (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40668)

I know, I know, 'YUCK... Harbor Freight!' but it cant be too bad, I mean, it's just a motor with extended shafts!

Actually, that is the one that I've been using for a few years now and I have no complaints. I get some of my buff wheels and compounds there also.

PS. You will appreciate one of these also..... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42986

Dawai
10-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Best one I've had was on a dual-step pulley shaft on the back of the old 40s craftsman lathe..

It'd do a stainless tattoo machine frame till she was slick like glass.. so slick you could not hold onto it.

Rouge? The white is the finish up.. they make two dozen types of buffing wheels.. the flannel ones when you put the red on it throws sparks when right.. dig in.. rouge is gone.. More pressure does not make "faster cut".
The more horsepower the better.. I got a 3phase 2hp one fabbed up.. awaiting a pulley to come along.

I keep saying I will build a circle sewer for my industrial machine.. to make buffs.. never have.. Had a buddy, he did semi truck wheels and made two grand a week.. He used to be after me to make him cheap buffs. he made his own compounds.. Kerosene, wax was two of the ingredients I remember.

wlpier
10-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Ditto, I'm with SMILLER, the only con I had was the butt ugly color, but 15 mins, a little tape, and a can of Machinery Gray took care of that.

You really have to honestly assess how much you're going to use it. If it's 8hrs a day, go for the Baldor, but if it's 8hrs a year don't waste your money and with a coat of paint you won't know the difference.