10-12-2008, 08:28 PM
more volume the better!

gnm109
10-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Plan on building a barn/garage to store my bike in
Just wondering what do you think would be better
12' x 24' or 16' x 20'
eddie

24' X 36' with two stories is what I have. It's too small but I get by. The bogger, the better. If you make it too small, you will notice it very soon after it's done. You are warned. :)

kendall
10-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Figure out the square footage required for what you plan to put in it, add 40 square foot for other things that -will- get put in there, then triple that space and you should be good for a year or two.

Seriously though, Square footage is great, but you realy need to consider the actual shape of the space. If the area is the wrong shape, it won't work half so well as an area that's a third smaller, but of the right shape to use.
Door position has a lot to do with the way an area can be utilised, if the door's in the wrong spot it reduces the useable area by quite a bit, and can make moving things in and out a real pain.

An overhead door (9x7 say) in the center of a 16ft wall limits you to about 2ft of useable space each side, almost too small to use, offsetting it to one side gives you about 5ft of useable space, but placing the door in the 24ft wall and offsetting it to one side leaves you with about 11ft of useable space on one side while still having about the same actual 'open' floor space. (assumed roughly 2ft space both sides desired)

Most people think square footage is the answer, (honestly no attack on prior posters, just the best way I can think of to clarify what I mean) but I say making sure the space is used to the max is far more important than simple square footage. (if half the space is wasted on making sure access is unrestricted. how much have you actually gained?)

Ken

wierdscience
10-12-2008, 11:17 PM
12' x 24' or 16' x 20'
eddie

40x60,rule of thumb is figure out what you will need,then multiply by five:D

andy_b
10-12-2008, 11:32 PM
12' x 24' or 16' x 20'
eddie

well, if you have room for 12'x24' or 16'x20', then you should have room for at least 16'x24', so right there was your first mistake. :)

how are you building it? polebarn or standard framed construction? 1 floor or 2? what else besides a motorcycle is going in it? heated or unheated? electricity and plumbing?

i built a 32x22 polebarn a few years ago and wish it was twice as big and had one section 2-story and insulated. i also agree with Ken that you need to plan on doors and anything else you want to put in it. i utilize almost every square foot of my polebarn, so in that respect it is pretty efficient. i need to do a little more rearranging, but right now there are several projects in it that aren't mobile, so things have to stay how they are for now.

andy b.

motorworks
10-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the replies

Yes, as my wife would say, bigger is aways better, but
I have limited space to build (easment on one side, the house on the other and I have to be 10' from the house)

Motorcycles only (2 bikes)
Plan on wood floor.Electric lights etc (120volt only)
I like the idea of maybe 16 x 24 but I have to go out and measure it again
to see if I have the room
eddie

This is the style I had in mind:
http://www.designer-shed-plans.com/3340.htm

RancherBill
10-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Decisions, decisions.

If I had to pick I'd take the 12 x 24. The reason is for flexibility of the space. In this size you could put a car or whatever in the future and still have a workbench. Your needs might change over time.

Your proposed plan has an attic that is neat.

Someone else mentioned it, but don't for get height. 10' walls give and extra space for large shelve all around the top of the building which give you room to store stuff and increase the usable floor space.

lane
10-13-2008, 06:42 PM
If it is not 3 times bigger than your house it is to small.

BigBoy1
10-13-2008, 07:10 PM
12' x 24' or 16' x 20'
eddie

Bigger is always better. There is an unwritten law about "stuff." If "stuff" is left alone in the dark, it will expand to completely to occupy the space in which it is placed. No matter how much space you have, the "stuff" will expanded to fill it!

Bill

ulav8r
10-13-2008, 07:59 PM
The dimensions are easy, build to the full limits of the easements and necessary clearences. Since it is so small, make it two stories with acess to move large items to the upper floor as necessary.

Remember that a bike will take up much more room when dismantled for repair, re-paint, or rebuild.

Your Old Dog
10-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Keep in mind how you are going to heat and cool it. My shop is 14x30 and heated with an overhead propane on one end. That leaves one end of the shop too warm and the other end too cool. Had my shop been more squarish the heat may have distributed better. I would like to have heated catty corner fashion.

ptjw7uk
10-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Whatever size you make it remember insulation is a one off cost and will save that ever increasing heating charge. It will keep you warm or cooler at no extra cost.

peter

davidh
10-14-2008, 08:31 AM
now i know where NL is. . . . . beautiful country. got room for a old "sanford" in your parts ?

are your seasons similar to northern maine area ?

do your building restirction allow for variances in the code so you could plead with the town fathers to let you go say 8 feet from the froperty line ?

just thinking outloud.

two stories would be super.

motorworks
10-14-2008, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=davidh]now i know where NL is. . . . . beautiful country. got room for a old "sanford" in your parts ?

are your seasons similar to northern maine area ?

Always room here, just don't mess with the women!
See Story:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2008/10/14/nl-elderly-woman-bear.html

ps Going with the 12 x 24

thanks all
eddie