PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have experience with PRECISION MATHEWS machines?

squale
10-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Just wondering if anybody has any experience with these machines?

macona
10-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Supposed to be a pretty decent machine. There was a thread over on PM a few days ago about the heavier non-hobby import machines:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=166390

I am trying to figure out who I am going to buy from for the lathes and mills at TechShop. Not sure yet.

squale
10-12-2008, 11:03 PM
I would seriously consider talking to Matt over at Quality Machine Tools. He carriers the PM brand of machines. He is a great guy, straight shooter and has a wealth of comparable information and machines he can discuss with you.

what are these machines being used for? hobby, home use, school, machine shop, etc.?

carlquib
10-13-2008, 12:51 AM
I have the pm1440. For a home shop it seems to be very good. I will have had mine 2 years in march. I looked at several of the heavier lathes in the 1440 class but settled on this one because it had to go down stairs. The finish on the ways seems to be very good and has held without scratching so far. The transmission seems to be good and shifts smoothly. I haven't seen any real gear noise patterns on any of my work. I absolutely love the brake you can be threading to a shoulder at 2000 rpm and when you step on the brake it stops instantly. I got the DRO on mine too, a little different than the domestic stuff that I was used to but works accurately once you learn how to use it. The only bad, is stuff that is annoying but not really important. A lot of the ball oilers are just plain junk. They either don't fit the holes or the balls pop out of them. The way wipers could use some improvement too. If you get one make sure you check everything carefully. My three jaw chuck came with two number two jaws and no number one. Matt fixed it as soon as I brought it to his attention though. Still haven't got all the ball oilers fixed but like I said not a big deal. I wish that the tail stock quill had more beef, but I guess that is a trade off for the weight. The only other quirk that I have run into is that there isn't a setting on the quick change box for 11 1/2 tpi. I am sure that I could come up with change gears to get there but for now I just take stuff to work and thread it on the LeBlonde when I need that number of threads per inch. When I finally get to where I am going to buy a bridgeport style mill I will definitely look at the PM stuff. If you have any other specific questions let me know.

-brian