PDA

View Full Version : Line boring

Kudu
10-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi all.
I am about to purchase an Italian made portable line boring machine. Want to add 'on site repair' division to my exisitng precision engineering works. I understand how the machine works, but never operated one. I am used to working to close tolerances incl Toolmaking, bearing sizes etc. 20yrs on turning.(Tos SN50)
Can someone hold my hand as I learn the ropes if line boring on site. Advise on setup, tips and tricks. I have heard that a Laser can be used for setting up. Which Laser should be used? What handy tools (apart from the normal stuff) should I take along?
Would a fully kitted truck with power supply, small lathe, gas bottles etc help?
The major client would be the Platinum mines and open cast iron mines. Traveling distance would range from 20km to 700km.
Heavy press shops and local earth moving guys, would also be on my list.
Have you any guidelines on quoting? Must be a difference between the small guys and large concerns???

Carld
10-13-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm not really sure how you would use a Laser since you have to indicate each end of the bore to rebore the hole. Even then you have to have a true area to indicate on or you may not get centered on the original bore.

It can be a real problem centering up on a completely destroyed bore to get the original center line distances and even to get the bore concentric to the other bores if they have to align with each other.

Each job may be a new learning experience.

Bazz
10-13-2008, 05:51 PM
I have done allot of it and try to stay away from these job

Most of the time the customer want you do do the job over a week end or a Holiday (the machine have to run)

For set up if allow I tack weld bolt to hold my support

In a fire hazard environment it can get painfully hard to do
no grinding or welding you will have to drill and tap to do your set up

I never use a laser for lining up but some time use a music wire to help line up the bar by measuring with vernier.Most of the time I use cone to line up .

For tool 2 of each is a must ,driving to a job and find out the your welding helmet batteries is dead or the vernier was drop in water or the set screw came out of the boring bar last time you took a set up down

Mag drill ,hand drill ,ladder ,welder,bench grinder, big work light ton of bolt rubber boot:eek:

I will not do a job under 150$ per hours with one helper

good luck

My English is not very good

TGTool
10-13-2008, 07:34 PM
My English is not very good

I don't think you have any reason to apologize. It's entirely as good as some posters here who are probably native speakers and think their English is fine. You have good advice and there's no where I was confused about what you were recommending.

Good luck to you too.

Jan

wierdscience
10-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Have you watched this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9ak3wKtPQ

For alignment I usually use an indicator and sweep the plane around the bore being repaired.At least on earthmoving equipment the tolerances aren't terribly tight.If the location of a bore is off by 1/32" it's not the end of the world,so long as both bores are inline with each other.